Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-02-2021, 03:49 PM   #16
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
Really?

Black people have been treated like **** since forever and now you’ll gonna hang your hat on equality and fairness?

These folks deserve a break every day and every way. Give it to them and move on. It’s not going to cost you anything but your pride.

Are you suggesting there is a better place to hang your hat?
Old 11-02-2021, 03:52 PM   #17
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Are you suggesting there is a better place to hang your hat?
Nothing brings people together like division.
Old 11-02-2021, 04:11 PM   #18
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Really?

Black people have been treated like **** since forever and now you’ll gonna hang your hat on equality and fairness?

These folks deserve a break every day and every way. Give it to them and move on. It’s not going to cost you anything but your pride.
Dave, you make a valid point. But the prevailing attitudes and sense of entitlement make it harder and harder to find those that deserve a break. I deal with it every day.

I apply my standards equally but I can tell you that the average black person that I deal with , whether a customer or an employee has been taught they are entitled to a different standard. And they will tell you. That may be an overly broad statement, but it’s absolutely my reality

Working with the public is tough nowadays. Being an employer, just as hard
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2021, 04:18 PM   #19
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Dave, you make a valid point. But the prevailing attitudes and sense of entitlement make it harder and harder to find those that deserve a break. I deal with it every day.

I apply my standards equally but I can tell you that the average black person that I deal with , whether a customer or an employee has been taught they are entitled to a different standard. And they will tell you. That may be an overly broad statement, but it’s absolutely my reality

I’ve quit judging people. If someone’s not physically threatening then they get a smile and a pass.
Old 11-02-2021, 04:19 PM   #20
xtb

Quote:

My sister taught in city schools for 30 years and what you said is very similar to what she used to say about her students and especially their parents.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2021, 04:45 PM   #21
thaskalos

Quote:
I’ve quit judging people. If someone’s not physically threatening then they get a smile and a pass.
I agree. Except in my case, I forgo the smile...lest my intentions be misunderstood.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:19 PM   #22
AndyC

Quote:

Isn't judging people innate?
Old 11-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #23
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Isn't judging people innate?
If TJDave doesn't do it...then, how could it be innate?
Old 11-02-2021, 06:15 PM   #24
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
If TJDave doesn't do it...then, how could it be innate?

Judging someone and overtly acting on your judgment are 2 different things.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:06 PM   #25
porchy44

It is pretty hard to explain how 7-8 of the ten richest groups in an "institutionally racist" society are non-white.
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2021, 07:46 PM   #26
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I agree. Except in my case, I forgo the smile...lest my intentions be misunderstood.
I smile at everyone.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:49 PM   #27
boxcar

Quote:
I smile at everyone.
With your fingers crossed, no doubt...
Old 11-02-2021, 07:53 PM   #28
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98 View Post
I think he meant East Indian.
I did
Old 11-02-2021, 09:29 PM   #29
Poindexter

Quote:

Since the pandemic, I had to eliminate my entire staff and have been the only employee of my store. I am in a fairly upscale part of town, but over that time I have had, I would guess, maybe 200 black customers (so I assume most of them are doing fairly well in life). I have not had a problem with one. They pay full price, don't ask for discounts, don't steal, don't give me bad credit cards (and I don't even check id) and pretty much everyone I have dealt with has been very kind and respectful to me (I cannot think of any exceptions). I treat everyone the same no matter what color they are, with respect. FWIW. Not implying anything about JR. Just presenting my reality over the last 19 months.

By the way I have also worked full time aside from my business and that has been amongst mostly younger, mostly hispanic and maybe 25% black people. Totally different dynamic, because I am just an employee like they are, but once again, not a problem with anyone.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2021, 09:43 PM   #30
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Since the pandemic, I had to eliminate my entire staff and have been the only employee of my store. I am in a fairly upscale part of town, but over that time I have had, I would guess, maybe 200 black customers (so I assume most of them are doing fairly well in life). I have not had a problem with one. They pay full price, don't ask for discounts, don't steal, don't give me bad credit cards (and I don't even check id) and pretty much everyone I have dealt with has been very kind and respectful to me (I cannot think of any exceptions). I treat everyone the same no matter what color they are, with respect. FWIW. Not implying anything about JR. Just presenting my reality over the last 19 months.

By the way I have also worked full time aside from my business and that has been amongst mostly younger, mostly hispanic and maybe 25% black people. Totally different dynamic, because I am just an employee like they are, but once again, not a problem with anyone.
I am not in an upscale area and a big portion of my clientele are on public assistance.

I don't care what color you are as long as you act right.

In the last year my staff has been punched, screamed at and shot at. Just another day in the neighborhood…..

Care to guess the race of all of these offenders?
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply