Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-30-2021, 05:18 PM   #1
classhandicapper

The math of masks

A startling insight came to me over the weekend when it comes to the use of masks.

First, I always use a mask when I go indoors to stores and I don't eat inside in restaurants unless I'm outside NYC in a low Covid area. So if anything, I am overly cautious. I mostly stay outdoors even though I am vaccinated.

Second, I have no idea what the advantage is from wearing masks. Studies are all over the map. I'm going to assume there is some benefit, but not huge.

That said, here's my insight.

Imagine crossing a busy highway during rush hour means there's a 5% chance you will get hit by a car (no mask) and crossing during off hours means there's 1% chance (mask). Obviously, if you have to cross that highway you are way better off doing it in the off hours (mask).

Now imagine crossing the highway 500 times.

If you cross the highway 500 times in off hours, you are almost as likely to get hit by a car eventually as if you crossed during rush our. If you cross 1000 times you are very likely to eventually get hit by a car. By crossing in off hours all you are probably really doing is delaying the inevitable. If you really don't want to get hit by a car you can't cross that highway.

A mask works the same way.

If I go to a supermarket or store right now in Queens, I am better off wearing a mask. If I go to the supermarket or store with a mask every single day I'm probably eventually going to get Covid anyway.

I think this is why the study results are all over the place. You can probably demonstrate that masks help reduce exposure a bit, but eventually even in high mask areas it will still eventually spread to everyone and show little to no benefit long term.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 08-30-2021 at 05:20 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2021, 07:39 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Most (note I did not say ALL) people should have stopped fearing COVID a long time ago.

The media wouldn't let us...because...hey...Trump was running for reelection...
Old 08-30-2021, 09:36 PM   #3
Frost king

I work at business with 50 people working on an assembly line. Have we had cases of COVID, of course, but they have all originated from outside the company. We have not had one case of COVID that was transmitted from within the plant. Also we didn’t have anyone off with the flu or colds, since we have been wearing masks. You can make your own conclusions. All I know, we tracked sick days, and they were down by 90%. COVID or no COVID, it was just from wearing masks on the plant floor.
Frost king is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2021, 12:53 AM   #4
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Maybe we should all don full protective gear whenever we step outside our front doors?

Imagine not only the lower number of colds, flus and COVID, but NO MORE SKIN CANCER FROM THER SUN!

Imagine the possibilities my man!
Old 08-31-2021, 04:59 AM   #5
Richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Maybe we should all don full protective gear whenever we step outside our front doors?

Imagine not only the lower number of colds, flus and COVID, but NO MORE SKIN CANCER FROM THER SUN!

Imagine the possibilities my man!

don't give these people any ideas, i expect the mask to be around for many many years, and that's bad enough
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2021, 09:12 AM   #6
stuball

Hmmmmm

We gotta remember this mask mandates put in place by who? a mask mandate is not a law (I REPEAT MASK MANDATE IS NOT A LAW) When they drag me to jail they better write down the LAW I am breaking. They might kill me but my kids will end up very rich...Tell me if I'm wrong. And the FDA did not approve the JAB they only extended the emergency authorization. NO APPROVAL
stuball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2021, 11:55 AM   #7
Greyfox

Most masks work about as well as chain link fence does in stopping mosquitos from coming through.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2021, 12:17 PM   #8
Rex Phinney

My understanding of masks from the beginning has been that the only way they work is when a sick person wears one to protect others. It's equal to covering your mouth when you cough like your mother always told you.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2021, 01:30 PM   #9
letswastemoney

If people aren't obviously coughing or sneezing in a public setting like a mall or store, I couldn't care less if they don't wear a mask, nor should they care if I don't wear one.

Sure, people could have COVID laying dormant with no symptoms, but it's not something I'll actively think about. Otherwise, why go outside ever? We might as well hide under a rock for the rest of our lives and never see anything else.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2021, 01:33 PM   #10
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
If people aren't obviously coughing or sneezing in a public setting like a mall or store, I couldn't care less if they don't wear a mask, nor should they care if I don't wear one.

Sure, people could have COVID laying dormant with no symptoms, but it's not something I'll actively think about. Otherwise, why go outside ever? We might as well hide under a rock for the rest of our lives and never see anything else.
Unfortunately, letswastemoney...your last sentence is EXACTLY what the Zealots on the Left think we should all do. While they ignore the Mandates themselves, of course.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: