Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-03-2019, 07:08 AM   #31
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Neil deGrasse Tyson for President. Bill Nye should be his VP.
Big Mike Tyson for president, you don't like. POW!!!!
Old 09-03-2019, 07:12 AM   #32
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Well, it has weakened to a Cat 3, so there's that.
You need a little bit of education in regard to hurricanes. You NYers know snow. Here in NC, and other parts, south, we know hurricanes.

Category level has to do with wind speed. More devastation is caused by rain and flooding than by wind. These are some of the stats on FLORENCE which destroyed so much that was in it's path, here in NC, less than a year ago. Thousands of homes were flooded, many have been repaired or replaced, however, many, still today, are uninhabitable. Construction takes time and money, lots and lots of money.

When Florence stalled in Wilmington, NC she wasn't a sustained Cat 4 hurricane. The term, STALLED, is the most dreaded in hurricane lore. I'm 100 miles inland, however, Floyd, in 1999, came inland, stalled, and flooded almost every acre of land east of I-95. Say a prayer, please, for everyone in the path of this storm.

https://www.weather.gov/mhx/Florence2018
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2019, 08:56 AM   #33
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
You need a little bit of education in regard to hurricanes. You NYers know snow. Here in NC, and other parts, south, we know hurricanes.

Category level has to do with wind speed. More devastation is caused by rain and flooding than by wind. These are some of the stats on FLORENCE which destroyed so much that was in it's path, here in NC, less than a year ago. Thousands of homes were flooded, many have been repaired or replaced, however, many, still today, are uninhabitable. Construction takes time and money, lots and lots of money.

When Florence stalled in Wilmington, NC she wasn't a sustained Cat 4 hurricane. The term, STALLED, is the most dreaded in hurricane lore. I'm 100 miles inland, however, Floyd, in 1999, came inland, stalled, and flooded almost every acre of land east of I-95. Say a prayer, please, for everyone in the path of this storm.

Exactly right! I'll take a fast moving Cat 5 over a slow moving Cat 2 every time.

Not only is there far more danger of flooding with a slow moving storm, but they can wreak even greater havoc on trees than fast moving windy storms because the ground becomes so saturated with rain, the roots have nothing solid to grab, so they can topple more easily even in less windy conditions.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #34
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post

What would you leftists do if you had nothing over which to get hysterical?
I seriously doubt that political point of view had a thing to do with scientists and the interpretation of data that comes there way.

Data IS, or it is NOT.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:40 AM   #35
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
I seriously doubt that political point of view had a thing to do with scientists and the interpretation of data that comes there way.

Data IS, or it is NOT.
By your own admission, you just said data requires interpretation. And we interpret everything through the lens of our worldview.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:09 AM   #36
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
By your own admission, you just said data requires interpretation. And we interpret everything through the lens of our worldview.
Whenever I made a diagnosis, my point of view, OUTSIDE the clinical situation, NEVER entered the conclusion, DATA (or lack thereof in a case to eliminate one aspect of a differential DX) did.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #37
hcap

Quote:
Whenever I made a diagnosis, my point of view, OUTSIDE the clinical situation, NEVER entered the conclusion, DATA (or lack thereof in a case to eliminate one aspect of a differential DX) did.
Ever do mental diagnosis? A few posters on this board can use your help. Names withheld to avoid box replying in tongues.....
Old 09-03-2019, 10:31 AM   #38
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post

I don't need any such thing, but thanks. I made a simple statement, actually aimed at another genius who had to bring Trump into it again. Sorry, I should have quoted the post I was referring to.

I know there is more to a hurricane than wind speed.

Remember SANDY? Wasn't even technically a hurricane up here in Long Island. Didn't even have that great a wind speed. Yet it did some of the worst damage ever seen here.

So yeah, we "up here in NY" have had a storm or two roll in before...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 09-03-2019 at 10:35 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2019, 10:34 AM   #39
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
Big Mike Tyson for president, you don't like. POW!!!!
Love his chicken!
Old 09-03-2019, 10:36 AM   #40
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
But there IS NO CLIMATE change, IT IS a Chinese hoax when all the time the weather experts have suggested that storms are going to get bigger as a result.
Are those the same ones who didn't know all weekend where this storm was going to go? 3 days later?
Old 09-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #41
boxcar

Quote:
No one operates in a mental vacuum state. Not even you.

Besides...don't you know there is no such thing as a perfect vacuum?
Old 09-03-2019, 11:09 AM   #42
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Are those the same ones who didn't know all weekend where this storm was going to go? 3 days later?
NO ONE believed those were any more than suggested paths
Old 09-03-2019, 11:20 AM   #43
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
After hearing Trump declaring Dorian was going to hit Alabama, it was perfectly clear he was the hoax.

Probably had take out just before his tweet.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #44
hcap

Quote:
No one operates in a mental vacuum state. Not even you.

Besides...don't you know there is no such thing as a perfect vacuum?
You don't remember our discussions. As usual.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #45
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
You don't remember our discussions. As usual.
Yeah, I do. There is no such thing as a perfect vacuum. (The operative term here is perfect.)