Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-20-2019, 08:17 PM   #136
theotherside

Maximum Security

Inquiry! Again!
theotherside is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2019, 08:17 PM   #137
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

INQUIRY on MAX!

Oh boy, lightning strikes twice?
Old 07-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #138
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
INQUIRY on MAX!

Oh boy, lightning strikes twice?

Unreal.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #139
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Bal Harbour spit the bit both times he ran 9 panels in Dec18 and Feb18. One mile one turn closer at best.

The Zanotti, was the only horse with other 9F class, and he has never beat anybody worthwhile in his career.

What horse had 9F form class to win this race other than War Story?
You dont have to convince me, I bet the winner. Of course I bet him based on other factors rather than any real form.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 09:31 AM   #140
king kong

For all the scratches and long delay make it a real bad joke for racing!
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #141
FenceBored

Quote:
"After I saw a replay, I knew they would not take him down," West said. "The other horse was going backwards. That sort of thing happens in 25 percent of the races, and they don't take 25 percent of the horses down. If they took him down today, I would know for sure that the racing gods had something against me."
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...haskell-stakes

In 25% of races a jockey has to check his horse so hard the horse pops its front end off the ground?

Yes, King for a Day was fading, but honest to God, West, if you can't accept that you've got a problem with the way your horse seems to foul those around him ...
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #142
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceBored View Post
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...haskell-stakes

In 25% of races a jockey has to check his horse so hard the horse pops its front end off the ground?

Yes, King for a Day was fading, but honest to God, West, if you can't accept that you've got a problem with the way your horse seems to foul those around him ...
I agree. Yes King for a Day may have been tiring and wasn't going to beat the top 2 but he probably could have placed 3rd, and with a million dollar purse, that cost him a placing and that is grounds for a DQ. Maybe the stewards didn't want to get involved in another controversy. I suspect if it wasn't for what happened in the Derby Max would have come down. He ran a tremendous race but it seems that both the horse and Saez, who has been suspended for this kind of thing, have a problem with fouling.
I wanted to hear what Johnny V said but he just mumbled something and ran off. I think he wants to avoid controversy too after the flack he got for being dumped in the Preakness. Did anybody else hear what he said?

Last edited by bobphilo; 07-21-2019 at 11:06 AM.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #143
bobphilo

Here's some food for thought regarding how quickly the stewards decided on a non DQ in the Haskell.

Denis Drazin owns Monmouth Park.
Denis Drazin owns a number of race horses trained by Jason Servis.
Denis Drazin is one of the attorneys representing Gary West in the KD lawsuit.

As I am not prone to conspiracy theories I think it's more likely that the stewards did not want to get caught up in the heat the Churchill stewards were subjected to but it is possible that Drazin's connection to Servis and West may have also been a factor.

As an aside, Max Security reminds me of another horse from way back named Marfa who was also unable to keep a straight path near his competitors and was nicknamed Marfa the Mugger.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #144
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
I agree. Yes King for a Day may have been tiring and wasn't going to beat the top 2 but he probably could have placed 3rd, and with a million dollar purse, that cost him a placing and that is grounds for a DQ. Maybe the stewards didn't want to get involved in another controversy. I suspect if it wasn't for what happened in the Derby Max would have come down. He ran a tremendous race but it seems that both the horse and Saez, who has been suspended for this kind of thing, have a problem with fouling.
I wanted to hear what Johnny V said but he just mumbled something and ran off. I think he wants to avoid controversy too after the flack he got for being dumped in the Preakness. Did anybody else hear what he said?

Luis Saez is going to keep riding in this manner, and sooner or later someone is going to get badly hurt. And, it may be him. In the jock's room.

I heard Johnny V's comment last night. Here's the interview with Scott Hazelton. Paraphrased: When he's asked at the end, "what do you think this cost you and your horse?" His response , "when you get stopped like that at any point in the race, "its gonna cost you everything."

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/b...skell-victory/
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #145
GMB@BP

We dont have a system where you are punished for fouls when the best horse wins. If your a rider you are better off to push these boundaries.

Not sure the riders also police themselves like they used to with the young riders.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #146
airford1

I didn't see the race live or the head on but Johnny V is not going to yank his mount up like that for the drama. If I were the trainer we would be looking for a new rider.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #147
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
Luis Saez is going to keep riding in this manner, and sooner or later someone is going to get badly hurt. And, it may be him. In the jock's room.

I heard Johnny V's comment last night. Here's the interview with Scott Hazelton. Paraphrased: When he's asked at the end, "what do you think this cost you and your horse?" His response , "when you get stopped like that at any point in the race, "its gonna cost you everything."

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/b...skell-victory/
Thanks for the sources, Grits. Unfortunately the video does not show what happened from the best angle but what is clear is that Max was in the 2 path with King in clear postilion on the rail. One or Two jumps later Max was on the rail and King was taking up sharply. There was not enough time for Max to have cleared King cleanly to cross over him and get the rail. Velasquez did not pull up so sharply for nothing. He was right when he said it cost him everything.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #148
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
We dont have a system where you are punished for fouls when the best horse wins. If your a rider you are better off to push these boundaries.

Not sure the riders also police themselves like they used to with the young riders.

Do what? Better off to push boundaries? And the carnage would then fall mainly to whom?

Johnny V is 47 years of age, Luis is 27. Now, who do you think knows more about riding and about safety and rules? Why should the more seasoned riders be policing themselves when dealing with junior who is reining full speed ahead like a bull in a china shop?

This fine horse needs another rider. Maybe then, we can see how truly fast he is. Meanwhile, I hope he does come to the Travers.

Last night, Servis, West, and CEO Drazin enjoyed dinner together. That had to be rich. And, according to Asbury Press, Monmouth lost millions yesterday.

https://www.app.com/story/sports/201...park-millions/
Old 07-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #149
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
Thanks for the sources, Grits. Unfortunately the video does not show what happened from the best angle but what is clear is that Max was in the 2 path with King in clear postilion on the rail. One or Two jumps later Max was on the rail and King was taking up sharply. There was not enough time for Max to have cleared King cleanly to cross over him and get the rail. Velasquez did not pull up so sharply for nothing. He was right when he said it cost him everything.

Most welcome. ....I'm slackin' of late. I gotta figure out how to get some more of those green dots. I don't know how all that works. I really don't.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #150
Afleet

I don't think of this race as a must see event. Not sure this race is even in the top 10 3 year old races.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: