Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #46
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Fwiw, Stra is a "Headley" and they are related to Ingrid Fermin who used to be a big shot at the CHRB. Not sure what Ingrid is up to these days, but its interesting that the CHRB came to Kayla's "rescue" with a very strong statement to the stewards.
You are right ,Gus Headley is the Daddy of her baby .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #47
racingfan378

I love Kayla and personally think she doesn't get a lot of good mounts in general....

But I have to say, a child does not belong in the workplace no matter what the profession

God forbid she got hurt one race and didn't return to the jocks room. What do you say to the kid now (once he/she) got old enough to understand.

Last edited by racingfan378; 07-10-2013 at 01:28 AM.
racingfan378 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 02:05 AM   #48
SandyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingfan378
I love Kayla and personally think she doesn't get a lot of good mounts in general....

But I have to say, a child does not belong in the workplace no matter what the profession

God forbid she got hurt one race and didn't return to the jocks room. What do you say to the kid now (once he/she) got old enough to understand.
Despite what anybody thinks, California law protects all mothers including Kayla:

Cal. Civil Code § 43.3 (1997) allows a mother to breastfeed her child in any location, public or private, except the private home or residence of another, where the mother and the child are otherwise authorized to be present. (AB 157)
Cal. Code of Civil Procedure § 210.5 (2000) requires the Judicial Court to adopt a standardized jury summons for use, which must include a specific reference to the rules for breastfeeding mothers. 2000 Cal. Stats., Chap. 266 (AB 1814) created the law and directs the Judicial Council to adopt a rule of court to allow the mother of a breastfed child to postpone jury duty for a period of up to one year and that after one year, jury duty may be further postponed upon written request by the mother. See California Rules of Court, Trial Court Rules, Rule 2.1006.
Cal. Health and Safety Code § 1647 (1999) declares that the procurement, processing, distribution or use of human milk for the purpose of human consumption is considered to be a rendition of a service rather than a sale of human milk. (1999 Cal. Stats., Chap. 87; AB 532)
Cal. Health and Safety Code § 1648 requires a hospital that collects, processes, stores or distributes human milk collection from a mother exclusively for her own child to comply with the standards for collection, processing, storage or distribution of human milk by the Human Milk Banking Association of North America unless the department of health approves alternate standards. No screening tests are required to be performed on human milk collected from a mother exclusively for her own child.
Cal. Health and Safety Code § 123360 et seq. and § 1257.9 require the Department of Public Health to include in its public service campaign the promotion of mothers breastfeeding their infants. The department shall also develop a training course of hospital policies and recommendations that promote exclusive breastfeeding and specify staff for whom this model training is appropriate. The recommendation is targeted at hospitals with exclusive patient breastfeeding rates ranked in the lowest twenty-five percent of the state. To the extent that funding is available, the law requires the Department of Public Health to expand the breastfeeding peer counseling preogram at local agency California WIC sites. The law also requires all general acute care hospital and hospitals providing maternity care to make available a breastfeeding consultant or provide information to the mother about where to receive breastfeeding information. (2007 Chapter 460, SB 22)
Cal. Labor Code § 1030 et seq. (2001) provides that employers need to allow a break and provide a room for a mother who desires to express milk in private.
Cal. Assembly Concurrent Resolution 155 (1998) encourages the state and employers to support and encourage the practice of breastfeeding by striving to accommodate the needs of employees, and by ensuring that employees are provided with adequate facilities for breastfeeding and expressing milk for their children. The resolution memorializes the governor to declare by executive order that all state employees be provided with adequate facilities for breast feeding and expressing milk.
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #49
BetCrazyGirl

This is from one of the articles that is in this thread. That looks like discrimination to me. I wonder if anyone had told any of the male jockeys that they need to pick between being a father or a jockey.

" Stra said the stance on her and her baby were inconsistent. She had asked if she could bring her baby into the common area for jockeys, where male and female jockeys may be together between races. She saw David Flores and his wife and baby in there, but she was told she couldn’t take her baby in there."
BetCrazyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #50
pondman

It's a ******* BABY! Nobody wants to deal with a ******* BABY! Can you imagine getting the hell beat out of you while riding a favorite. The fans, trainer, and owner are all pissed off at you. And you are trying to shake it off in the Jockey's room and having to listen to a wailing BABY! What she going to do in 8 months when it's starts running around, throwing whips, goggles, and helmets?

KS has won 6 total races in 2013. Her lifetime U.S. win record is 120 total. She'd make more money pouring coffee at Starbucks. This is LA where the average house sell for $600k. Think before you have a BABY!

Old 07-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #51
iceknight

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondman
Think before you have a BABY!
Grow up. and don't speak for others when you say "fans" don't like it etc. Stick to your opinion.

Also, I thought a lot before saying this.... " I wish your mother had "thought before having you".
you are welcome.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #52
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
It's a ******* BABY! Nobody wants to deal with a ******* BABY! Can you imagine getting the hell beat out of you while riding a favorite. The fans, trainer, and owner are all pissed off at you. And you are trying to shake it off in the Jockey's room and having to listen to a wailing BABY! What she going to do in 8 months when it's starts running around, throwing whips, goggles, and helmets?

KS has won 6 total races in 2013. Her lifetime U.S. win record is 120 total. She'd make more money pouring coffee at Starbucks. This is LA where the average house sell for $600k. Think before you have a BABY!
I don't think i would explain it as animated as you did, I understand where you are coming from...people who have chosen to NOT have kids are 'forced" for lack of a better word, do "deal with" other people's kids noise levels out in public while businesses (restaurants for example) seem to turn a blind eye to this.

Plenty of parents with screaming kids seem to "not care" that their kids are annoying other people....we have all had to deal with hearing screaming brats on occasion and i could probably count on one hand how many times the parent did something about it, maybe take the kid outside the restaurant or finding another way to keep the brat quiet, you rarely see the parent spring into action showing concern for the people who don't want to have to listen to that noise.

Unfortunately, this is just one part of life that childless adults have to deal with that kind of 'stinks'.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #53
SandyW

Quote:

IT'S THE LAW, WHAT PART OF THIS DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND, IT'S THE LAW.

Last edited by SandyW; 07-10-2013 at 07:13 PM.
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #54
OCF

Quote:

good grief, i like your posts Pondman but you need to relax

Last edited by OCF; 07-10-2013 at 07:24 PM.
OCF is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #55
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
They may have created new jobs . Track Nanny !

I think this woman has every right to take her baby and nanny into the jocks room...The baby was being breastfed..Some backsides and I do believe Arlington Park has something like this for the backstretch workers for their kids.Im surprised that a female steward would say something like that (if she did) Maybe being a mother herself.With the amount of female jocks riding ,I hardly think this was a inconvinence to anyone!..
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #56
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:

WOW..Not only do you have child deficiency syndrome,You seem to have NO respect for a young lady trying to make a living.I detest guys like you who want to knock others who are trying so hard to make it.This lady puts her life on the line when she rides and all you think about is how good she isnt and a screaming baby...I call that NO RESPECT
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #57
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchell_Racing
I think this woman has every right to take her baby and nanny into the jocks room...The baby was being breastfed..Some backsides and I do believe Arlington Park has something like this for the backstretch workers for their kids.Im surprised that a female steward would say something like that (if she did) Maybe being a mother herself.With the amount of female jocks riding ,I hardly think this was a inconvinence to anyone!..
It was a joke . I happen to like her and have heard only good things said about her from those who've met Kayla .
There are no accommodations for Mom's with babies in any of the facilities I've worked at but since there is time between races for jocks , it's not like being on the same clock . It should work and hopefully all will be happy .
We'll see what happens . I can see points for all sides , but if the other jocks are ok with it then it's not a big deal . I haven't heard any feedback from their end .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2013, 04:51 AM   #58
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchell_Racing
WOW..Not only do you have child deficiency syndrome,You seem to have NO respect for a young lady trying to make a living.I detest guys like you who want to knock others who are trying so hard to make it.This lady puts her life on the line when she rides and all you think about is how good she isnt and a screaming baby...I call that NO RESPECT
I think he has respect, he just doesnt want to deal with someone else's crying kid, you can't blame him for that, right? Maybe if some of these parents (not saying Kayla is one of them) would keep their kids quiet and show some respect to society, they can get some respect in return. You gotta give a little respect to get some.

We're all trying hard to make it, every last one of us, nobody gets more 'credit' than someone else for "trying hard to make it". We are all in the same boat.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #59
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I think he has respect, he just doesnt want to deal with someone else's crying kid, you can't blame him for that, right? Maybe if some of these parents (not saying Kayla is one of them) would keep their kids quiet and show some respect to society, they can get some respect in return. You gotta give a little respect to get some.

We're all trying hard to make it, every last one of us, nobody gets more 'credit' than someone else for "trying hard to make it". We are all in the same boat.
There is a difference between a baby and a kid. I am not sure I understand your line of thinking. In this topic, pondman was way out of line thrusting his opinion into how someone else should lead their life when all of their actions are perfectly legal.
If the poster did not take it upon himself to decide for the whole society, what needs to be done (that's what legislature, democratic process and laws are for, remember?) then rebuttal opinions would not have been so strong. Granted, no extra credit need be given for someone working on their career, but blatant obstacles that are illegal need not be placed in their way. That is what this discussion has been about.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #60
pondman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyW
IT'S THE LAW, WHAT PART OF THIS DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND, IT'S THE LAW.
Sure it is!

Next time you want someone to put your burning house out-- hope they don't have a baby in their arms. Next time you need to be protected by a burglar-- hope they don't have a baby in their arms. Next time you get on a jet-- hope they don't have a baby in their arms. Next time someone gets on a 1,200 lb animal--l hope they don't have a baby in their arms.

Name 1 job where people bring their kids to work?

Postal worker?
Teacher?
Retail?
Government?

Name 1...