Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #106
v j stauffer

Ok. Here we go. Thinking more everyday about the Hollywood Gold Cup. It's this Saturday. Suggestions?

Here's a question. Is it unthinkable blasphemy, if Game on Dude wins, to think that Chantal becoming the first female ever to ride the winner is as big or bigger than the horse?

I know I know. Don't shoot!

It's a VERY big deal though if she does it. Might make that a prominent theme of the call.

Thoughts?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #107
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Is it unthinkable blasphemy, if Game on Dude wins, to think that Chantal becoming the first female ever to ride the winner is as big or bigger than the horse?

Thoughts?
If she carries the horse over her shoulders across the line, she's bigger.
Come to think of it, I've never seen a jockey do that.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #108
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Have to think this year there is more than riding horses
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #109
Vengeance of Rain

Quote:
Ok. Here we go. Thinking more everyday about the Hollywood Gold Cup. It's this Saturday. Suggestions?

Here's a question. Is it unthinkable blasphemy, if Game on Dude wins, to think that Chantal becoming the first female ever to ride the winner is as big or bigger than the horse?

It's a VERY big deal though if she does it. Might make that a prominent theme of the call.

Thoughts?
I can understand the temptation of the angle but I hope you don't go through with it should she win.
She has been a jockey for what, about 12 years? I'd say she's worked pretty hard to get where she is.
I think it's fine to say she's the first female jock to win it one time but anything more and it becomes borderline sexism. It becomes like a novelty when she is an athlete and should be treated as such. Do you see what I'm saying? She becomes an object.
Her femininity is part of her attractiveness and she knows how to convey her essence in photographs, billboards, magazine pieces, etc. but that is hers to handle. That is her decision. She's a tough one but also a girly girl so while she can draw her own lines I think you should stand back and be very respectful of her talent and not focus on it. She can, you shouldn't.
If she wins mention it one time and then treat her as you would any other winning jockey.
Vengeance of Rain is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2012, 01:06 AM   #110
BetCrazyGirl

Quote:

Thoughts?
She's not bigger then the horse since she can't win without the horse. Maybe if he was a true underdog and she had pulled off some remarkable move that gave the horse an edge but Game On Dude is a very talented horse. Besides her being the first female there isn't anything else truly special that I see. Plus there's becoming more female jockeys and I think we're going to start seeing some major wins coming from them, its nothing really new anymore just the particular race is. That's just my opinion.
BetCrazyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #111
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance of Rain
I can understand the temptation of the angle but I hope you don't go through with it should she win.
She has been a jockey for what, about 12 years? I'd say she's worked pretty hard to get where she is.
I think it's fine to say she's the first female jock to win it one time but anything more and it becomes borderline sexism. It becomes like a novelty when she is an athlete and should be treated as such. Do you see what I'm saying? She becomes an object.
Her femininity is part of her attractiveness and she knows how to convey her essence in photographs, billboards, magazine pieces, etc. but that is hers to handle. That is her decision. She's a tough one but also a girly girl so while she can draw her own lines I think you should stand back and be very respectful of her talent and not focus on it. She can, you shouldn't.
If she wins mention it one time and then treat her as you would any other winning jockey.
Excellent post. Lot's of things to consider. Very much appreciate you taking time to contribute.

Last edited by v j stauffer; 07-03-2012 at 01:50 AM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #112
Helles

Vic, you can't go wrong if you do what feels right to YOU. You will never be sorry being true to yourself.
Helles is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #113
Robert Fischer
clean money

Looks like a situation tailored for a post-win mention, rather than a stretch-run work-in...

just one fan's opinion
Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #114
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
Looks like a situation tailored for a post-win mention, rather than a stretch-run work-in...

just one fan's opinion
Starting to agree with that take.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #115
Greyfox

You've guaranteed that day and that race "We'll be all ears."
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 02:27 AM   #116
northerndancer

Vic, Vic, Vic, Vic..... do not and I repeat do not make the Gold Cup about Chantal. It is about the horse and nothing but the horse....

Remember Harvey Pack's saying when he would sign off the replay show.... 'May the horse be with you'...... he did not say 'May the jockey be with you'.... (side bar in this case maybe you want the jockey to be with you).

Chantal will get enough press without you go all Lady Ga Ga about her during the race. If anything you should be going against the norm.

The race is about the horse. A reporter reports the news he/she does not make the news. You calling the race should call the race so damn it CALL THE RACE.

Enjoy the 4th of July festivities!!!
ND
northerndancer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 02:41 AM   #117
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerndancer
Vic, Vic, Vic, Vic..... do not and I repeat do not make the Gold Cup about Chantal. It is about the horse and nothing but the horse....

Remember Harvey Pack's saying when he would sign off the replay show.... 'May the horse be with you'...... he did not say 'May the jockey be with you'.... (side bar in this case maybe you want the jockey to be with you).

Chantal will get enough press without you go all Lady Ga Ga about her during the race. If anything you should be going against the norm.

The race is about the horse. A reporter reports the news he/she does not make the news. You calling the race should call the race so damn it CALL THE RACE.

Enjoy the 4th of July festivities!!!
ND
Absolutely nothing if she becomes the first female jockey in 75 runnings to win the Hollywood Gold Cup. Nothing?
Old 07-04-2012, 04:31 AM   #118
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Absolutely nothing if she becomes the first female jockey in 75 runnings to win the Hollywood Gold Cup. Nothing?
You'd be remiss not to mention it...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #119
mountainman

Vic: Do the call that best suits YOUR taste and talents. Announcing and analysis may be different endeavors, but when I do a show that I'd have found informative as a player, I can be sure I've given my best effort. Your internal arbiter of taste and content may not always hit your audience where they live, but it WILL, in a sense, pull your assignments into your personal wheelhouse. And that's the trick. So do calls that YOU would like to listen to. And keep up the excellent work.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #120
fmolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
Vic: Do the call that best suits YOUR taste and talents. Announcing and analysis may be different endeavors, but when I do a show that I'd have found informative as a player, I can be sure I've given my best effort. Your internal arbiter of taste and content may not always hit your audience where they live, but it WILL, in a sense, pull your assignments into your personal wheelhouse. And that's the trick. So do calls that YOU would like to listen to. And keep up the excellent work.
Vic....i enjoy most of your calls but some seem contrived and forced and your over the top finish line calls seem at times like canned laughter.I prefer Durkin and Colmus for their spontaneity and quick wit during their calls....Yes i am an East Coaster(Long Island).Who can forget Colmus's "The Wife Knows Everything...The Wife Doesn't Know" call?Durkins the best for my money.
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply