Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
njstu44
Stu

Pin Firing ??

Anyone have info on Pin Firing.....I have a 3 year old Layer Ron colt ..We have been fighting his shins for 6 months...My trainer now wants to pin fire him...Any thoughts would be helpful
Thanks Stu
njstu44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njstu44
Anyone have info on Pin Firing.....I have a 3 year old Layer Ron colt ..We have been fighting his shins for 6 months...My trainer now wants to pin fire him...Any thoughts would be helpful
Thanks Stu
Most consider it a barbaric treatment this day and age. It's proven that the time off that giving a horse third degree burns requires that does the trick -- not the third degree burns.

I'd refuse to allow my horse to be pin-fired. If the trainer finds that unreasonable, just ask him if he'll agree to have a little area on his arm or leg pin-fired.

It's too bad he's been fighting the shins for 6 months. Now, 6 months later, you still have shins, when your trainer could've instead backed off 6 months ago, turned the horse out, and you'd have a horse healed and ready to go now.

Last edited by Fager Fan; 02-27-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Grits

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/hor...-obsolete.aspx

This article is dated 2006, still, one can be sure the process of pinfiring hasn't changed in the last 6 years. No way, would I allow this.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
Most consider it a barbaric treatment this day and age. It's proven that the time off that giving a horse third degree burns requires that does the trick -- not the third degree burns.

I'd refuse to allow my horse to be pin-fired. If the trainer finds that unreasonable, just ask him if he'll agree to have a little area on his arm or leg pin-fired.

It's too bad he's been fighting the shins for 6 months. Now, 6 months later, you still have shins, when your trainer could've instead backed off 6 months ago, turned the horse out, and you'd have a horse healed and ready to go now.

I dont agree with you my friend.Pin firing isnt just 3rd degree burns..When you pinfire a horse it is done with a hot iron with a sharp pointed end.What is done is this iron is burnt into the periostium of the bone,Which is the oter skin of the bone.This causes more blood to the affected areas.Pinfiring does work great not only on bucked shins but also cracks in the cannon bone.After they are pinfired you paint them with a blister paint for 10 days.I have had great success with pinfiring.I have also gone the other route in giving them time off..Time off in my opinion only masks the problem.
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
lamboguy

sometimes in 2 year olds when the horse bucks shins you can blister and then paint and wait for the inflamation and swelling to go down. the horse will need stall rest until you see a result.

when this occurs in a 3 year old, if you don't pinfire it could easily lead to cannon bone problems. don't go by me because i am not a 3 year old expert at this because i have had very few at 3 that have bucked.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
outofthebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchell_Racing
I dont agree with you my friend.Pin firing isnt just 3rd degree burns..When you pinfire a horse it is done with a hot iron with a sharp pointed end.What is done is this iron is burnt into the periostium of the bone,Which is the oter skin of the bone.This causes more blood to the affected areas.Pinfiring does work great not only on bucked shins but also cracks in the cannon bone.After they are pinfired you paint them with a blister paint for 10 days.I have had great success with pinfiring.I have also gone the other route in giving them time off..Time off in my opinion only masks the problem.
Agree with this. The area is blocked with a local anesthetic and the horse feels no pain. No more barbaric then gelding a horse. I actually prefer to shockwave shins nowadays and keep them in light training (jogging or swimming) for 30 days. I've had good luck so far doing this..
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan

It occurred to me that a procedure I've had done on myself at an acupuncturist's office is a little bit like pin firing. I think it's called moxambustion. Basically the acupuncturist will burn a little chunk of mugwort at the end of one of the needles stuck into me and it sends the heat shooting down into the insertion point. Lasts about 20 seconds per 'chunk' and I rarely feel it the first time. Supposedly you're supposed to keep burning until you just feel it which indicates enough blood has moved into the area.
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchell_Racing
I agree with you Tom the art of pinfiring has made many a race horse better in the long run than the lay-up methods. Shock wave therapy is also good depending on your budget. We have done all three and shock wave seemed to be the best method.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
Citation1947

Those who still consider pinfiring are still living in the past. The same people who still force tied-up horses to walk, not understanding that they are contributing to further muscle tissue damage.

When pin-firing a horse, it is the period of enforced rest that is of most benefit. Rest alone should be just as effective without causing the animal more pain and suffering.

Pin-firing isnt anything other than inhumane torture. I had posted about this outdated form of foolish therapy before. Just rest the poor horse.

You will not find ONE equine medical/vet manual today favoring pin-firing. Infact, most now have sections advising against it.

Adams' Lameness in Horses, the most authoritative book on equine orthopedic medicine, states, "In general, it can be said that blistering/pin-firing are ineffective and painful methods of therapy. Results obtained are due to the enforced rest of the horse."

An article entitled: Pinfiring Proves Obsolete can be read at this link

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/hor...-obsolete.aspx

Last edited by Citation1947; 02-27-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Citation1947 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Grits

Citation, we linked the same article.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation1947
Pin-firing isnt anything other than inhumane torture. I had posted about this outdated form of foolish therapy before. Just rest the poor horse.
At least we get some nice "look at me" insider posts as a result.

In horse racing, it's apparently better to have "patients" in your barn than "patience".
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
Citation1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Citation, we linked the same article.
Oops! My bad :-)
Citation1947 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #13
5k-claim
Working on 'Plan B'

Not all instances of lameness from bucked shins are due to inattentiveness during and after training, but a percentage is. It isn't surprising, therefore, when the same group turns to pin-firing as a shortcut. It fits the mindset.

It will unfortunately still be around for years to come, despite that the science just isn't there.

I do not have much respect for its use.

5k-claim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
jorcus

It looks to me as if El Padrino has been pin fired on both front legs.
jorcus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #15
jorcus

If this links works you can see his legs in the picture.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwCQ&dur=6849
jorcus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply