Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 10-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #61
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
reminds me of the classy owner "MC Hammer"
i think the guy that owns the horse named him after himself. all i know about the guy is that he has gary stute as his racing manager.

i hate to say how many times in this game you think you have something special that doesn't turn out to be as good as you thought. at least this one has no real negetive marks so far.

i had seen currency trader also before he ran, but i don't like the way he lugs out at the end of his races. i was hoping that could have been corrected between his races.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #62
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
When a similar situation arises in the future and a lightly raced horse is 3-2 off a giant fig earned in the slop and is back on a dry track, I will try to beat them, too.
This is also a tough call when it's the other way around and you aren't sure whether to excuse a bad race on a wet track.

IMHO, the best approach is to not have any rules and to instead just try to decipher the situation.

This was the evidence.

1. He won as a FTS on a fast track in a race that was probably a little better than it looked on speed figures.

2. He had a monster work between his first start and second start suggesting that he might move forward (I played him in his second start off that ). I can't recall where I read about the work, but I think the phrase "really turned a lot of heads" was used.

3. The horses coming out of the race more or less confirmed that he had run really well that day on the slop

4. It looked like he was bred to love a wet track.

5. Metz typically doesn't have them totally wound up as either FTS or for sprints (though he won with a few FTS lately).

I suspect that if you looked at a thousand lightly raced horses that won on the mud like this, the preponderance of evidence suggests that this horse would turn out to be mud loving fool WAY LESS OFTEN than is typically the case. Plus I'm not even sure how huge of a negative it is normally even though it's a risk.

I'm not smart enough to know what the fair price was. I just didn't see any compelling reason to bet on him or against him. That's just me though. I am sort of philosophically against the idea of betting against favorites that I think deserve to be the favorite except in clear cut situations. Betting against deserving favorites is mathematically an extremely difficult way to play the game. But that's a different story. Perhaps you found good value against him.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 10-12-2011 at 08:19 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #63
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
This is also a tough call when it's the other way around and you aren't sure whether to excuse a bad race on a wet track.

IMHO, the best approach is to not have any rules and to instead just try to decipher the situation.

This was the evidence.

1. He won as a FTS on a fast track in a race that was probably a little better than it looked on speed figures.

2. He had a monster work between his first start and second start suggesting that he might move forward (I played him in his second start off that ). I can't recall where I read about the work, but I think the phrase "really turned a lot of heads" was used.

3. The horses coming out of the race more or less confirmed that he had run really well that day on the slop

4. It looked like he was bred to love a wet track.

5. Metz typically doesn't have them totally wound up as either FTS or for sprints (though he won with a few FTS lately).

I suspect that if you looked at a thousand lightly raced horses that won on the mud like this, the preponderance of evidence suggests that this horse would turn out to be mud loving fool WAY LESS OFTEN than is typically the case. Plus I'm not even sure how huge of a negative it is normally even though it's a risk.

I'm not smart enough to know what the fair price was. I just didn't see any compelling reason to bet on him or against him. That's just me though. I am sort of philosophically against the idea of betting against favorites that I think deserve to be the favorite except in clear cut situations. Betting against deserving favorites is mathematically an extremely difficult way to play the game. But that's a different story. Perhaps you found good value against him.
When its the other way around I would definitely excuse the race on the sloppy track. Comparing sloppy tracks to dry tracks is apples and oranges
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #64
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
When its the other way around I would definitely excuse the race on the sloppy track. Comparing sloppy tracks to dry tracks is apples and oranges
I tend to do the same thing, but sometimes the horse was fine with the off track and simply went off form. IMO it's still a risk factor.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #65
FantasticDan
gelding

Background story:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...uit-like-story
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #66
Track Phantom

Union Rags

How good is Union Rags? Could he end up being one of the greats or just a great 2 year old?
Old 02-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #67
Robert Fischer
clean money

I really like him.

I hope he runs his best race today.

The Juvenile really worried me about his future.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #68
nijinski

Wanted to bump this thread up for the son of Dixie Union.
Congrats to all connections on the FOY victory , especially to Matz , who
had him fit and ready for this.
who has been taking a beating from some here. Nice catch for Leparoux
too!
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #69
BetCrazyGirl

He did awesome today
BetCrazyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #70
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Another nice background story from PA Equestrian:

http://terryconway.net/cms/index.php...trian&Itemid=9

I had heard he was bought back after the breeders originally sold him, but I didn't realize it was from IEAH. Thank you Phyllis Wyeth for spending the money to get him back from them.

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #71
davew

after todays race, looks like a legitimate triple crown contender
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #72
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I have merged a Union Rags thread from General Handicapping into this preexisting thread...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #73
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Over Run
Another nice background story from PA Equestrian:

http://terryconway.net/cms/index.php...trian&Itemid=9

I had heard he was bought back after the breeders originally sold him, but I didn't realize it was from IEAH. Thank you Phyllis Wyeth for spending the money to get him back from them.
I read this one when it came out and of course loved it . She paid
three times the money to get him back and she in return was
rewarded for the deed.
People who had connections with his sire Dixie Union as well will be pulling for UR. His sire's life being cut short at a young age was hearbreaking.

Last edited by nijinski; 02-26-2012 at 08:16 PM.
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #74
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
after todays race, looks like a legitimate triple crown contender
Wow one race and you make that comment?
Old 02-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #75
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan04
Wow one race and you make that comment?
Perhaps he meant that Union Rags was a contender for the three-year-old classics, and not that he was a candidate to win all of them.
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply