Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #31
OCF

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerndancer
A little story of how I got into this great game. My wife suggested that I take $20,000 and go claim a race horse since it was something I always wanted to do. I spent 6 months on the backside of the track (Fort Erie & Woodbine) getting to know the people and how things worked. I interviewed 10 trainers and selected a trainer. Converted my US$ into CDN$ in 1995 getting $1.35 to the $1. I decide on a trainer and we go looking for a horse. We spot one at Woodbine a hard knocking ultra competitive horse from a decent outfit.

We end up dropping a claim slip on this 3/5 shot at Woodbine. The horse was in for $16,000. I was watching the SAT back when you could get the races on C Band SAT dish for free. The horse ran a game 2nd to a long shot. Real tough stretch run bobbing heads and he lost the photo.

I am watching my monster gallop out (trainer had called before the race to tell me we won the 4 way shake on the horse) very strong. I have the biggest smile on my face. I not only became a participant in the greatest games which is horse racing but appear to have claimed a real nice horse.

I go out to dinner waiting for my phone to ring to let me know how the horse cooled out. No call. So about 9:00 pm that night I call the trainer. He sounds like he lost his best friend. I say hey I am so excited he replies.... why. I said we claimed a nice horse. He states did you see what happened on the gallop out. I say no..... what happened. He took a bad step and the jock jumped off the horse had to be vanned off.

The horse had a chipped sesamoid bone. The horse never started again. We spent 6 months trying to rehabbing him but the ankle fused on us.

It was the best lesson I could of ever been provided. It taught me how difficult of a game this is from an ownership end.

Even after the rough start 18 years later and still have a blast.

Oh yeah to add a salt to the wound.... the horse that won the race came back with a positive test. Great for the owners I claimed the horse from not for me.
Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. I get the impression that at least you could afford to lose the $16K.

I would love to be an owner but this further confirms my holding that I would only do it if I had big $ to burn.
OCF is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #32
northerndancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCF
Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. I get the impression that at least you could afford to lose the $16K.

I would love to be an owner but this further confirms my holding that I would only do it if I had big $ to burn.
Unless you do not respect the dollar no one can just flush $16,000 down the toilet.

As I stated in the beginning my wife suggested I take $20,000 to get into the game. I spent the $20,000 on that first horse after expenses and had a very good lesson to show for it.

My wife insisted I spend another $10,000 to actually have a horse run in my colors We claimed another horse for $10,00 who went on to do very well for us. That horse spurred us on and we are still going well after 18 years. I stick with claiming horses only. I prefer the life time condition horses.

When people ask about getting into the game from an ownership perspective. I tell them make sure you can live without the money you invest ever coming back to you. Always have an eye out for your monthly costs since each horse you have equals $3,000 a month in carrying costs.

I have started many a partnerships with friends and associates. You do not need to invest a large amount instead have enough involved to spread the risk. Do not in anyway shape of form pay a 'racing manager' they are the devils spawn.
northerndancer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #33
OCF

Quote:
When people ask about getting into the game from an ownership perspective. I tell them make sure you can live without the money you invest ever coming back to you.
I think this is another way of saying what I was getting at.
OCF is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #34
Mineshaft
Veteran

Quote:
A little story of how I got into this great game. My wife suggested that I take $20,000 and go claim a race horse since it was something I always wanted to do. I spent 6 months on the backside of the track (Fort Erie & Woodbine) getting to know the people and how things worked. I interviewed 10 trainers and selected a trainer. Converted my US$ into CDN$ in 1995 getting $1.35 to the $1. I decide on a trainer and we go looking for a horse. We spot one at Woodbine a hard knocking ultra competitive horse from a decent outfit.

We end up dropping a claim slip on this 3/5 shot at Woodbine. The horse was in for $16,000. I was watching the SAT back when you could get the races on C Band SAT dish for free. The horse ran a game 2nd to a long shot. Real tough stretch run bobbing heads and he lost the photo.

I am watching my monster gallop out (trainer had called before the race to tell me we won the 4 way shake on the horse) very strong. I have the biggest smile on my face. I not only became a participant in the greatest games which is horse racing but appear to have claimed a real nice horse.

I go out to dinner waiting for my phone to ring to let me know how the horse cooled out. No call. So about 9:00 pm that night I call the trainer. He sounds like he lost his best friend. I say hey I am so excited he replies.... why. I said we claimed a nice horse. He states did you see what happened on the gallop out. I say no..... what happened. He took a bad step and the jock jumped off the horse had to be vanned off.

The horse had a chipped sesamoid bone. The horse never started again. We spent 6 months trying to rehabbing him but the ankle fused on us.

It was the best lesson I could of ever been provided. It taught me how difficult of a game this is from an ownership end.

Oh yeah to add a salt to the wound.... the horse that won the race came back with a positive test. Great for the owners I claimed the horse from not for me.

Your trainer never called you to tell you the horse was vanned off? Huge red flag for me. That person wouldn't of trained long for me.
Mineshaft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #35
northerndancer

Actually at first I was a bit miffed until he explained that he waited for the horse to cool out... have vet take xrays... get results and drive from Woodbine to Fort Erie on a Friday evening..... He was very worried how I was going to handle to information being new to the business....
northerndancer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #36
Mineshaft
Veteran

He could of called and say hey the horse had to be vanned off, im going to take xrays when the horse cools out and I will get back with you as soon as possible.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #37
chadk66

Quote:

that is a really tough lesson to learn right out of the box. but in the end you were probably better for it. most people would have never returned to the game. but you seen it at its worst right away.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #38
chadk66

Quote:
Unless you do not respect the dollar no one can just flush $16,000 down the toilet.

As I stated in the beginning my wife suggested I take $20,000 to get into the game. I spent the $20,000 on that first horse after expenses and had a very good lesson to show for it.

My wife insisted I spend another $10,000 to actually have a horse run in my colors We claimed another horse for $10,00 who went on to do very well for us. That horse spurred us on and we are still going well after 18 years. I stick with claiming horses only. I prefer the life time condition horses.

When people ask about getting into the game from an ownership perspective. I tell them make sure you can live without the money you invest ever coming back to you. Always have an eye out for your monthly costs since each horse you have equals $3,000 a month in carrying costs.

I have started many a partnerships with friends and associates. You do not need to invest a large amount instead have enough involved to spread the risk. Do not in anyway shape of form pay a 'racing manager' they are the devils spawn.
your are right on, zero need for a racing manager. I cannot fathom why anyone feels they need one.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #39
onefast99

Quote:

On the otherside of the coin I claimed one at the fairgrounds for $25,000 a 2 year old at the time Canadian bred named D'wildride. $622,000 in earnings later and a sale to Tom Ryan in the November 2011 sale for another $200,000 made me feel like I was on top of the world! She paid the freight for the other 20 or so I claimed during that time period, none coming close to her talent level!

Last edited by onefast99; 07-16-2013 at 11:53 PM.
onefast99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #40
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99
On the otherside of the coin I claimed one at the fairgrounds for $25,000 a 2 year old at the time Canadian bred named D'wildride. $622,000 in earnings later and a sale to Tom Ryan in the November 2011 sale for another $200,000 made me feel like I was on top of the world! She paid the freight for the other 20 or so I claimed during that time period, none coming close to her talent level!
great to hear stories like this.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #41
pondman

Quote:

My wife has been given many horses from SA and GG-- a number of winning mares. We've had as many as 18 foals at one time on our pasture. And we can get the horses ready for very little (deals with shifty relatives.) And you know what...we've never really made anything from racing. So we generally say, stay out of racing. Most of the high end trainers don't own their own horses. Why should you?

However, We have make some good money from selling thoroughbreds to non-racing trainers; Some of these horses have ended up in Europe. Much of this has to do with appearance, and the BS that goes along with that type of hobby. And these are out of mare we have gotten for free.

The racing side of it is still a hobby for kings, movie stars, rock stars, and dreamers.

Last edited by pondman; 07-17-2013 at 04:39 PM.
pondman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #42
5k-claim
Working on 'Plan B'

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
Without even looking, I can guess exactly who the trainer and connections are just based on the fact that Mr. Shemp posted. If you were to search his posts, I think it would take about twenty seconds tops to figure out what I assume to be the target here.

For those that haven't followed, Mr. Shemp routinely gives updates highlighting the lowlights of his least favorite trainer. I'm pretty sure this isn't just a random observation about something that happened, but would be yet another big shake of salt on the gash.
Oh, I got it. Thanks!

Old 07-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #43
proximity

wish he woulda beat that nickel there in the 5th. had a small position.

horse showed some improved speed though, kinda surprised me with a little rush up the inside.

nice second.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #44
Shemp Howard
Refugee from Bowie

You guys are missing the point. I was posting to publicize the talents of trainer Odin J. Londono, Jr. He's someone a serious punter should keep tabs on.

The dope who gave FF away for free without so much as sending him out for serious work is well known in the betting community. His winning and in-the money % speaks for itself.
Shemp Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #45
Mineshaft
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99

Nice claim that's what im talking about....