Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
lamboguy

Edwin Maldado

he just gave LET EM SHINE a great ride in the Came Home Stakes. he opened up about 10 lengths on the field and took a good hold of the horse and let the other guys behind him catch up, they were within 3 lengths of him and shifted into another gear and put them all asleep.

that kid rides them great
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
mannyberrios
easygoer

I agree, he is a good jockey
mannyberrios is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

We DEFINITELY need more threads where the thread starter completely butchers the name of the person they are praising/cursing...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
pandy

Maldonado in my opinion has been the best jockey on the So. Cal circuit for the past year, better than Gomez and right up there with Bejarano. I base my evaluation of jockeys and harness drivers on how many non-contenders a rider wins with. Maldonado consistently wins with horses that are not one of the top four fastest horses in the race, which is very unusual since over 80% of the winners are one of the top four fastest.

Gomez and Bejarano get much better stock. Maldonado has been 1st or 2nd in the standings for several months without riding horses for Baffert, almost impossible to do out there since Baffert wins almost a third of the races at some meets.

Maldonado has that intangible, horses simply run faster for him.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Offthepace

Pandy, he brought a long one in yesterday at Hollywood,the last race of the pick-5.A friend of mind had him in the last leg to win the pick-5.It was worth over $5000.00.Like you said he wins with non-contenders and he doesn't ride for Baffert and doesn't get as many good horses coming his way as Bejarno.Very clever jockey,I like to bet him in longer cheap races.I remember Brad Free's comment on him when he first came to Southern California,"good long-shot rider Edwin Maldonado".Right on the money!
Offthepace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
he just gave LET EM SHINE a great ride in the Came Home Stakes. he opened up about 10 lengths on the field and took a good hold of the horse and let the other guys behind him catch up, they were within 3 lengths of him and shifted into another gear and put them all asleep.

that kid rides them great
Sounds like a 10 pound bug could have won on the horse to be honest.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offthepace
Pandy, he brought a long one in yesterday at Hollywood,the last race of the pick-5.A friend of mind had him in the last leg to win the pick-5.It was worth over $5000.00.Like you said he wins with non-contenders and he doesn't ride for Baffert and doesn't get as many good horses coming his way as Bejarno.Very clever jockey,I like to bet him in longer cheap races.I remember Brad Free's comment on him when he first came to Southern California,"good long-shot rider Edwin Maldonado".Right on the money!
Every time he brings in a bomb that I don't have I kick myself because I go over all of his horses very carefully. He is a wake up rider and he can improve a horse by several lengths. He is also a great front end rider.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
Producer

Maldonado is one of, if not the top, gate riders in the country. He is deadly on a speed horse.
Producer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

candyman
Old 05-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Producer
Maldonado is one of, if not the top, gate riders in the country. He is deadly on a speed horse.
he amazed me on the horse that i saw. i know he was a good horse, but i loved the ride and i never say that.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2013, 05:47 AM   #11
NY BRED
GARY

Edwin M

as a throwback, he reiminds me of Jorge Velazquez

wish he's consider NY racing, especially for the Belmont meet.
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2013, 01:36 AM   #12
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
We DEFINITELY need more threads where the thread starter completely butchers the name of the person they are praising/cursing...
We DEFINITELY need more administrators that nitpick and try to embarrass their customers.

Last edited by v j stauffer; 05-15-2013 at 01:46 AM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2013, 01:41 AM   #13
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
Maldonado in my opinion has been the best jockey on the So. Cal circuit for the past year, better than Gomez and right up there with Bejarano. I base my evaluation of jockeys and harness drivers on how many non-contenders a rider wins with. Maldonado consistently wins with horses that are not one of the top four fastest horses in the race, which is very unusual since over 80% of the winners are one of the top four fastest.

Gomez and Bejarano get much better stock. Maldonado has been 1st or 2nd in the standings for several months without riding horses for Baffert, almost impossible to do out there since Baffert wins almost a third of the races at some meets.

Maldonado has that intangible, horses simply run faster for him.
I agree that Maldonado is very good. Great example of perseverance. Struggled mightily for quite a while.

FYI there were 616 races run this recent meeting at Santa Anita. Baffert won 38. That's 6%.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #14
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
We DEFINITELY need more administrators that nitpick and try to embarrass their customers.
I bet if it were Zenyatta's name he got wrong, you'd be signing a completely different tune.

If you're gonna praise someone, or deride them for that matter, the least you can do is spell their name right. This isn't a case of a simple typo.

It's like when people spell wrong one of the biggest trainers in the game...D. Wayne Lukas...LUCAS...happens all the time on here...

I wonder if anyone would have a problem if I went on a baseball message board and spelled it Mickey Mantal....get my point?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2013, 02:40 AM   #15
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I bet if it were Zenyatta's name he got wrong, you'd be signing a completely different tune.

If you're gonna praise someone, or deride them for that matter, the least you can do is spell their name right. This isn't a case of a simple typo.

It's like when people spell wrong one of the biggest trainers in the game...D. Wayne Lukas...LUCAS...happens all the time on here...

I wonder if anyone would have a problem if I went on a baseball message board and spelled it Mickey Mantal....get my point?
I totally get your point. I disagree.

You'd lose the bet. My tune wouldn't be to bust his chops.

Not to worry. I still love being a contributing member of PaseAdvantage.