Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #16
redshift1

I have Verrazano and Orb ahead of Revolutionary.

redshift1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift1
I have Verrazano and Orb ahead of Revolutionary.

I have Dreaming Of Julia ahead of all of them!Just got off the DRF and saw she had a 114 figure.Wow.Beholder had a 108 in a sprint last year.This matchup is going to be something else.I just hope it happens.It's eclipsing my interest in the derby.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer
I have Dreaming Of Julia ahead of all of them!Just got off the DRF and saw she had a 114 figure.Wow.Beholder had a 108 in a sprint last year.This matchup is going to be something else.I just hope it happens.It's eclipsing my interest in the derby.
Here is a problem with the point system this year. You might have seen her in the derby this year if it was based on graded earnings, and Pletcher had even stated that if that was the case they would think hard about running her in the KD but because of the points system there is no chance of that happening.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #19
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker
Here is a problem with the point system this year. You might have seen her in the derby this year if it was based on graded earnings, and Pletcher had even stated that if that was the case they would think hard about running her in the KD but because of the points system there is no chance of that happening.
I hear you,loud and clear.There's no reason why the filly races can't be assigned points if races on polytrack are given them.Who's more worthy,Dreaming of Julia or the UAE Derby winner ya know?There are flaws with the 1st year system.It's great that it forces people who don't want to race,to race.But the totality of it hasn't been well thought just yet.It's a good thing.But it can be better.It's a start.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #20
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
She could have gotten the necessary points if they had run her vs the boys in a 100 point race and she finished 1st or 2nd...but they didn't.
Now, i understand that they may not have known she was gonna run off the TV screen in the GP Oaks...i'll concede that, and there's no chance to get the needed points now.

Maybe make the top 1 or 2 Oaks points earners eligible for the Derby???
I like the points system, but also believe it needs some tweaking.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #21
Beachbabe

Quote:
I'll play devil's advocate and say, if you really thought Julia was that good (and there's no reason for a trainer like Pletcher not to have a real good idea of her potential), then why not run her in the Fla Derby, where, according to the figures from both races, she would have, at the very least, been competitive if not the outright winner. Then you'd have the points to get into the Derby, if that's your notion.

* sorry P.O.T....hadn't seen your post when I made mine

Last edited by Beachbabe; 04-02-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Beachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #22
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer
I hear you,loud and clear.There's no reason why the filly races can't be assigned points if races on polytrack are given them.Who's more worthy,Dreaming of Julia or the UAE Derby winner ya know?There are flaws with the 1st year system.It's great that it forces people who don't want to race,to race.But the totality of it hasn't been well thought just yet.It's a good thing.But it can be better.It's a start.
I agree.

All graded stakes should be assigned points depending on the probable quality of the field, distance, surface, and nearness to the Derby.

A grade 1 filly race would just get fewer points than Grade 1 for males etc...
Old 04-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #23
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbabe
I'll play devil's advocate and say, if you really thought Julia was that good (and there's no reason for a trainer like Pletcher not to have a real good idea of her potential), then why not run her in the Fla Derby, where, according to the figures from both races, she would have, at the very least, been competitive if not the outright winner. Then you'd have the points to get into the Derby, if that's your notion.

* sorry P.O.T....hadn't seen your post when I made mine
I think everybody is making great points.This is a new reality and we are seeing how it plays out.I think that at least age and surface have to be the immediate universalities.It really irks me that the poly BS gets handed points.Why not make turf races points worthy too if that's the case?The points system has eliminated the entitlement of 2yo champs who want to sit on the bench.I think the next step is to eliminate horses who don't even compete on the surface at hand.It's a Kentucky thing so that will never happen.Seeing them ruin racing in their state,at least IMO,is a sad harbinger for racing itself.If it was possible and I was an owner I'd definitely have the balls to run Julia in the derby.These people have brains and money.I didn't know they were eunuchs though!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #24
iceknight

By the way, it is the 21st century and now women are even being considered in combat positions etc. So why are separate divisions for fillies and separate races for them?
Why not just lump them all as horses and let them compete by their speed/endurance etc? right from the beginning? I mean we have very few girls only schools and colleges left...

but theoretically, has anyone else asked themself this question before, and what are the answers you came up with?

Cincy: Also, were you the one that made some (+ve) comment about Lady Asano after her last race (las virgenes stks- where she finished one but last) or some other board member did

Last edited by iceknight; 04-02-2013 at 02:22 PM.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #25
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I agree.

All graded stakes should be assigned points depending on the probable quality of the field, distance, surface, and nearness to the Derby.

A grade 1 filly race would just get fewer points than Grade 1 for males etc...
Absolutely Class.There has to be the thought in mind that a 3yo filly might have the talent to do this and she fits the age bracket.It made me laugh out loud thinking about it!How do you not plan on this possibility when a filly like Rachel Alexandra won the Preakness in 2009?It takes a freakishly good performance by Dreaming of Julia to make us realize what is possible.That's the good stuff!I think the powers that be and the conservative owners wish they didn't have this problem.They might say it's easy for me to say,but I put my money where my mouth is everyday when I play.Let's see them do that on a regular basis!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #26
Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Maybe make the top 1 or 2 Oaks points earners eligible for the Derby???
I like the points system, but also believe it needs some tweaking.
Not a bad idea
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #27
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I ran into my Walmart greeter horse owner this morning. We were talking about the point system for getting into the Derby. He told me that one of his trainers says that eventually they plan to give "5 point chits" he called them that, for breeding. This would be an incentive in the sales ring according to the theory.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #28
Leparoux

I wish we could see her in the Derby and do hope they tweak the system so a Filly has a chance. With that said, if you want to run in the Derby then you have to qualify just like the males. Run her against the boys in preps if you think that highly of her.
Leparoux is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #29
chadk66

the point system shot the industry in the foot. the amount of interest in the derby would double if she was in the race.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #30
plainolebill

If they were serious about getting her into the Derby, run her in the Arkansas Derby, otherwise I say sit down and shutup.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply