Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Valuist

Arkansas Derby day card

I see Oaklawn has a second pic 4 for closing day. They have their regular pic 4 encompassing the final 4 races, but also added a stakes pic 4, starting with the Northern Spur.

Oxbow gets another wide draw. This horse can't buy a break. I felt he ran the best race in both the Risen Star and the Rebel. War Academy comes in for Baffert & Smith. Don't know if Smith had a choice but he did ride Oxbow last time out. Throw in Overanalyze and it will be an upset if anyone else wins this. Den's Legacy is a fringe contender.

How low will Fort Larned be in the Oaklawn Cap? The ml is 7-5 but I will be surprised if he's over even money. Cella has a horse who may be 2nd choice. Not sure why Lukas is running Optimizer here. I thought they had figured out he's a good grass horse but not much on dirt.

They have Justin Phillip at 7-5 in the m/l which I think is a bit too low. A dry track would even things out a bit. Have to think Flashpoint has a shot. Outta Tune is a bit interesting at 15-1 ml. He won this race last year, went off form but now has won his last 2 starts. I suspect he won't be near 15-1.

The 1 3/4 mile meet-ender is always interesting. The horse who won the race last year is running on Saturday, but in the 6th, not this race. The most interesting thing about this race is the running line for Tapativity: in each of his 3 races in 2013, he dwelt at the start. Before that it was: refused to break, off 6 lengths slow, off 3 slow, off 3 slow and off 3-4 slow. Maybe he could be competitive if he'd stop giving away 5 lengths every race.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
The 1 3/4 mile meet-ender is always interesting. The horse who won the race last year is running on Saturday, but in the 6th, not this race. The most interesting thing about this race is the running line for Tapativity: in each of his 3 races in 2013, he dwelt at the start. Before that it was: refused to break, off 6 lengths slow, off 3 slow, off 3 slow and off 3-4 slow. Maybe he could be competitive if he'd stop giving away 5 lengths every race.
There was a time when horses like that would be banned.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
peeptoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
IHow low will Fort Larned be in the Oaklawn Cap? The ml is 7-5 but I will be surprised if he's over even money. Cella has a horse who may be 2nd choice. Not sure why Lukas is running Optimizer here. I thought they had figured out he's a good grass horse but not much on dirt.

They have Justin Phillip at 7-5 in the m/l which I think is a bit too low. A dry track would even things out a bit. Have to think Flashpoint has a shot. Outta Tune is a bit interesting at 15-1 ml. He won this race last year, went off form but now has won his last 2 starts. I suspect he won't be near 15-1.
Fort Larned is a pretty easy single... as long as he keeps the jock. The only horse I can see possibly beating him is Cyber Secret from the rail, but realistically I don't think that will happen. I love Alternation, but his last two were by far the worst of his career. I hope all is right with him, and he will not get an easy lead in here regardless. Sabercat is the bomb imo. He is slow, but he has run fairly well at this track and gets a lot of pace to try to close into.
I may play an inexpensive P3 starting with the Oak. 'Cap:

R8: 9
R9: 1,2,4,5
R10: 2,5,8,10

The ARK Derby will probably end up being chalky, but Frac Daddy could rebound a little assuming he just did not like the GP strip at all. I'm not sold on the Baffert horse just yet, but he clearly has the most upside in the field (imo).
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeptoad
Fort Larned is a pretty easy single... as long as he keeps the jock. The only horse I can see possibly beating him is Cyber Secret from the rail, but realistically I don't think that will happen. I love Alternation, but his last two were by far the worst of his career. I hope all is right with him, and he will not get an easy lead in here regardless. Sabercat is the bomb imo. He is slow, but he has run fairly well at this track and gets a lot of pace to try to close into.
I may play an inexpensive P3 starting with the Oak. 'Cap:

R8: 9
R9: 1,2,4,5
R10: 2,5,8,10

The ARK Derby will probably end up being chalky, but Frac Daddy could rebound a little assuming he just did not like the GP strip at all. I'm not sold on the Baffert horse just yet, but he clearly has the most upside in the field (imo).
It looks like Alternation's best days are behind him. Besides Cyber Secret, I would give Atigun a shot. But thats only if Fort Larned has truly become a head case, ala Lady Secret in her final year of racing. But because that, FL shouldn't be much lower than even money. Based on his record before his last race, he could be 1-2 or 3-5.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
ManU918

I really like Overanalyze in the Ark Derby.
ManU918 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
Dale Gribble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU918
I really like Overanalyze in the Ark Derby.
Ditto on this call, the Figs for Overanalyze look very good verses the competition.

Overanalyze's last three Figs: (most recent first) 8.7, 9.8 and 12.6.

Respectively the next closest last out Figs are Divine Ambition with a 11.0 and Falling Sky with an 11.1.

Unless another jumps up large it appears to be Overanalyze's race to lose.
Dale Gribble is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
judd

no 10 oxbow
Old 04-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
Robert Fischer
clean money

Looks wide open.

Falling Sky is really overlooked here. He cleared the field in the Tampa Bay Derby from the 9 post, to set what was a faster pace than maybe some of the figs represent. He dueled with the superior Verrazano looming to his out side, and was only passed by Java's War who was rating off of that pace.

War Academy had a dream set-up in his allowance victory, with a stablemate being the target in what was basically a paid 8.5f workout. But he passed with flying colors, and if he hadn't shown a big response it appeared his stablemate would have won easily. War Academy's penultimate 1/8th in that allowance was 12.11 seconds, while the next best was 12.65 seconds.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
Looks wide open.

Falling Sky is really overlooked here. He cleared the field in the Tampa Bay Derby from the 9 post, to set what was a faster pace than maybe some of the figs represent. He dueled with the superior Verrazano looming to his out side, and was only passed by Java's War who was rating off of that pace.

War Academy had a dream set-up in his allowance victory, with a stablemate being the target in what was basically a paid 8.5f workout. But he passed with flying colors, and if he hadn't shown a big response it appeared his stablemate would have won easily. War Academy's penultimate 1/8th in that allowance was 12.11 seconds, while the next best was 12.65 seconds.
Very sharp works and he is most likely going to the front, but i think Oxbow is his pace superior.
If Stevens stalks i think he can take Falling Sky whenever he wants - heck, i wonder if he isn't just gonna go for it on Oxbow from out there...screw all this wide trip shit and get out & get over to the rail.
I think the E's will do well in this race, esp if Overanalyze lays close.
No value here imo, except for Falling Sky, but i don't think he wins it.
It's the for me and most likely no bet, but i'm a big Oxbow fan and will probably key him on top in a tri
Old 04-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

In the Derby RS has these rankings in FVIV (my preferred method for big races). The top 4 are my win contenders and I will have to have 4/1 or higher odds to bet any of them.

Attached Images
File Type: png OP Arkansas Derby 2013.png (2.9 KB, 96 views)

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
picojim

win bets on

CARVE and FRAC DADDY
picojim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #12
FantasticDan
gelding

Arkansas Derby coverage now underway on the NBC Sports network..
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
TexasDolly

I like the 5,9 in the Oaklawn Derby.
TD
TexasDolly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
johnhannibalsmith

This race is tough - I don't like the prices on the two or ten and simply don't like Overanalyze.

Not sure that I love Den's Legacy all that much and think he may be a miler that needs strong splits to run his best, but this race may sort of run like that. The trio of bang bang half milers back at home and a race over the track - a few things to build off of a pace scenario case rooted in something resembling value at 6-1. I guess.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #15
Tee

Getting Frac Daddy away from GP may just give him a better chance. I look for both Baffert horses to have great trips & be in perfect striking position. We'll find out how good War Academy may be & how much Den's Legacy has left in the tank.

Carve just has to be better than he has show thus far - moving forward today?

Interested to see what kind of position Falling Sky gets out of the gate. A stalking third would be great, or if he gets the lead that's ok as well.