Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 4.78 average.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:36 AM   #106
Vinman

Does anyone know the full names of the two new pre-race analysts at Gulfstream? They seem to be out of sync with each other more than most twosomes in terms of who is supposed to be talking. He sounds like he needs to rest his voice to get rid of that constant rasp. She signs off each day with something in French. Is she Canadian? Anyone have any info on their prior experience?

Last edited by Vinman; 02-19-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #107
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
I never understood the need for a race after the big GrStks feature on a weekend card, esp Triple Crown and Breeder's Cup days (although i have an amazing penchant for hitting the race after the Preakness every year).

At the Texas Jam or Lollapalooza no one comes on and plays a set after the headline act.
Was there another fight after Tyson-Douglas in Japan?

Ahhh - the get out bet, like Monday Night Football
Back in the day parking was packed. The last race kept some from leaving and making it easier to clear the parking lots. I heard this from a guy that worked at a track in the 70's.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #108
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Back in the day parking was packed. The last race kept some from leaving and making it easier to clear the parking lots. I heard this from a guy that worked at a track in the 70's.
Yes. And some top jockeys wanted to leave before the rush as well.
One had to have a horse with a reasonable chance of winning to convince them to stay around for the nightcap.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #109
affirmedny

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Didn't hear the call. I made many mistakes over the years. A great number of them in the last race of the week after calling a weekend of graded races. HATE that race. Once upon a time they had back-up announcers for just that reason. Wish they still did.
If the backup announcers didn't say the F word over the air they might still be backup announcers, lol just kidding, as for Trevor, he was calling the 8 in front while the 9 was in front by 5 lengths or so.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #110
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny
If the backup announcers didn't say the F word over the air they might still be backup announcers, lol just kidding, as for Trevor, he was calling the 8 in front while the 9 was in front by 5 lengths or so.
One F bomb ruins it for all of us. I say give him another chance! As for Trevor. I've done that myself. Just a horrible feeling. Happens. We're human and make mistakes. When it does you can't wait for the next race to purge that sick feeling out of your system. That's another sucky thing about when I do it in the last race of the week. Have to wait till Thurs.

Last edited by v j stauffer; 02-19-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #111
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombsAway Bob
i think the era announcers picked up their cadence from, & the
age of the audience listening to them, has a lot to do with their
public approval. I'm sure today many would bash longtime Suffolk
caller Jim Hannon, but his call of the 1987 MassCap still gives me
chills & thrills!
(i'm gonna try to use YT link for 100th time incorrectly, but here goes)

[YT="1987 Mass Cap"]-abcCS5F9mM[/YT]
Not related to the topic of the thread. I noticed the saddle cloth colors. These matched the color scheme used in Harness.
To the thread. I always enjoyed this caller's style. He was "old school".
Old 02-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #112
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicap
I think your loyalty to your colleagues is commendable BUT are you saying that people should never bash anyone on the Internet? We should never be allowed to criticize A-Rod even though he has given his entire life to the game of baseball? We never be allowed to criticize jockeys for poor rides? Oorr baseball managers for poor decisions.

If some dictator of sports decreed that athletes or anyone involved in sports -- track announcers included for they are part of sports -- could NOT be criticized, sports would die in a day. Controversy and disagreement make sports go round.
There is a fine line here between "bashing" and "criticism"..
I would term "bashing" as a verbal or written assault born of malice. It sometimes can go as far as a personal attack.
Criticism is merely a negative subjective observation based on a person's dislike for something or someone. It is absent of "colorful metaphors" and personal issues.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #113
thespaah

Quote:
What's wrong with calling the races in ones boxers?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #114
thespaah

Quote:
One F bomb ruins it for all of us. I say give him another chance! As for Trevor. I've done that myself. Just a horrible feeling. Happens. We're human and make mistakes. When it does you can't wait for the next race to purge that sick feeling out of your system. That's another sucky thing about when I do it in the last race of the week. Have to wait till Thurs.
Has that ever happened? A race caller dropping a "bomb"....Hell that guy(Bob Beckel) on "The Five" on Fox News Channel has done it several times and he still has his gig.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #115
thespaah

Quote:
There are callers I think are good at what they do. Others I do not. I prefer to take the high road....Yeah, I could offer up my likes and don't likes. But in the interest of sanity..not going there. Reason? Simple. I cannot do their job.
I do not possess the ability to as you guys do, to forget the last race. Heck, you should see me dwell over a bad shot on the golf course. The next three suck too..
Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #116
GatetoWire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman
Does anyone know the full names of the two new pre-race analysts at Gulfstream? They seem to be out of sync with each other more than most twosomes in terms of who is supposed to be talking. He sounds like he needs to rest his voice to get rid of that constant rasp. She signs off each day with something in French. Is she Canadian? Anyone have any info on their prior experience?
John DeSantis (also known as Johnny D) and Christina Bossanakis.

Johnny is head of marketing for Xpressbet I believe and Christina writes for the TDN (Thoroughbred Daily News).

She is from Canada. Montreal I think.

She was on TVG before during the Monmouth meet.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #117
Vinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatetoWire

Johnny is head of marketing for Xpressbet I believe and Christina writes for the TDN (Thoroughbred Daily News).

Thanks
Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #118
affirmedny

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Has that ever happened? A race caller dropping a "bomb"....Hell that guy(Bob Beckel) on "The Five" on Fox News Channel has done it several times and he still has his gig.
The marketing guy at Hollywood, George-something, called the last race for Vic once, made a mistake, and dropped the F bomb after the race without shutting his mike off is the way I recall it. I think the guy is a jockey agent too now. Seems like a nice guy who just made a mistake but I don't think he ever called a race again. Was so upset he shaved all his hair off, poor fellow.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:57 AM   #119
racingfan378

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatetoWire

And according to TDN, she raced Homing Pigeons for 15 years when she lived in Canada. I wonder what the takeout is on those races and perhaps wind needs to be factored into the HSF.

What!? You're asking what the hell is "HSF"?

Well silly it's the HomingSpeedFig

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com...TOKEN=78378703

Last edited by racingfan378; 02-20-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:03 AM   #120
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny
The marketing guy at Hollywood, George-something, called the last race for Vic once, made a mistake, and dropped the F bomb after the race without shutting his mike off is the way I recall it. I think the guy is a jockey agent too now. Seems like a nice guy who just made a mistake but I don't think he ever called a race again. Was so upset he shaved all his hair off, poor fellow.
Its George Ortuzar and he could call another race at Hollywood if Vic lets him

https://twitter.com/GeorgeOrtuzar
Closed Thread