Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 4.78 average.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #31
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Vic favors less bashing of passionate colleagues.
I'm passionate about golf and tennis, but neither tour is going to invite me any time soon.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #32
usedtolovetvg

"Lots of racing fans DO NOT think he's terrible."

Then that becomes management's decision; such as they are able to make the right decision. I will tell you that I am more likely to look a bit harder and longer at the tracks where I like the caller. I would guess that the caller might be a decent driver of handle. This is also a discussion board where we are supposed to be free to state our opinions. That's all they are, our opinions. I think we can all agree that preference for one guy or another is highly subjective. If enough people have a negative view of this guy or that, it would behoove management to take a long hard look at that position.

Last edited by usedtolovetvg; 02-16-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #33
ElKabong

Grinder - sounds like he was the voice of the old Dick Tracy cartoon tv show....

the horse was clear, jumped a shadow or something. Weird. If I had a bet on that horse I'd have shotmyownself over that
Old 02-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #34
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtolovetvg
"Lots of racing fans DO NOT think he's terrible."

Then that becomes management's decision; such as they are able to make the right decision. I will tell you that I am more likely to look a bit harder and longer at the tracks where I like the caller. I would guess that the caller might be a decent driver of handle. This is also a discussion board where we are supposed to be free to state our opinions. That's all they are, our opinions. I think we can all agree that preference for one guy or another is highly subjective. If enough people have a negative view of this guy or that, it would behoove management to take a long hard look at that position.
I never suggested people couldn't have an opinion. Of course they can. Just hits close to home for me because I know and like Richard and respect how much he loves and cares about racing and his job.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #35
ElKabong

Quote:
I'm here. Watching and reading. So easy for people to say things like " 27 years in the booth maybe Tampa should consider a change "

Imagine how you'd feel if in the same boast and people were posting in a public forum to fire you after almost 3 decades of putting your heart and soul into every day you come to work?

Sometimes I really hate the internet.
You should get out more. In the real world this is known as Reality. The employed live this each and every day.

At my age & pay, my employer would love to dump my salary. My only defense is to outperform my younger colleagues on a daily basis, and provide proof in metrics and any measurable performance stick I can find. As is, my upward chain is very satisfied.

Tens of thousands are in the same boat as me, for age and high pay issues....Even more, are trying to prove themselves everyday as a productive employee. Or else we get shit cannned.

If Grinder, you, Wallace, or anyone else aren't up to snuff anymore, it's time to get out of the booth and make way for a better caller if your audience convinces your employer it's for the best. It's life, deal with it like the rest of the world does
Old 02-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #36
usedtolovetvg

Quote:
I know and like Richard and respect how much he loves and cares about racing and his job.
I can appreciate that. But, it doesn't mean he should be doing it. From my perspective he makes it kinda hard to follow the races with his calls. I love Tampa too, cheap horses, trainers and jockeys who may be of questionable integrity; lots of opportunity. I would fire more if I liked his calls.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #37
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong
You should get out more. In the real world this is known as Reality. The employed live this each and every day.

At my age & pay, my employer would love to dump my salary. My only defense is to outperform my younger colleagues on a daily basis, and provide proof in metrics and any measurable performance stick I can find. As is, my upward chain is very satisfied.

Tens of thousands are in the same boat as me, for age and high pay issues....Even more, are trying to prove themselves everyday as a productive employee. Or else we get shit cannned.

If Grinder, you, Wallace, or anyone else aren't up to snuff anymore, it's time to get out of the booth and make way for a better caller if your audience convinces your employer it's for the best. It's life, deal with it like the rest of the world does
Nice speech. It has dick to do with this thread but nice speech anyway.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #38
ElKabong

You're right. Grinder doesn't have to perform like the rest of us. He lives in a world that doesn't require talent nor approval.

Enjoy whatever track your currently calling...
Old 02-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #39
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong
You're right. Grinder doesn't have to perform like the rest of us. He lives in a world that doesn't require talent nor approval.

Enjoy whatever track your currently calling...
His name is Grunder. 27 years on the job seems like approval to me. It's whatever track " you're " calling. Get out much?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #40
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
His name is Grunder. 27 years on the job seems like approval to me. It's whatever track " you're " calling. Get out much?
You are ignoring that for at least 17 of those 27 years, nobody that wasn't at the track heard him much, and you can hardly ever really hear the caller at the track anyway.

Times have changed. I'm not the first to gripe about him, and I won't be the last. Didn't Beyer write a big article about his ineptitude last year? Your attitude is pretty typical in racing, which is why the sport has taken a nose dive.

And no, I'm not going to run a grammar/spelling check to get past the Vic test.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #41
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
You are ignoring that for at least 17 of those 27 years, nobody that wasn't at the track heard him much, and you can hardly ever really hear the caller at the track anyway.

Times have changed. I'm not the first to gripe about him, and I won't be the last. Didn't Beyer write a big article about his ineptitude last year? Your attitude is pretty typical in racing, which is why the sport has taken a nose dive.

And no, I'm not going to run a grammar/spelling check to get past the Vic test.
I know that was a cheap shot. I'm just in a mood. Dislocated rib. However to make a correlation that racing has taken a nose dive because I don't like hearing a friend bashed is pretty far out there.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #42
phattty

TBD is my home track, Grunder is focus of plenty of laughs with inane pronouncing of horses name and inaccurate calls....

But he is the least. Of their problems

Many of the reasons for their decade of growth have gone up in smoke

Some great turf racing due to the dearth of maiden races at GP are now gone plenty of turf maiden races at GP now

GP also carding 1 1/16 dirt races now

Hawthorne outbreaks stopped some stables from shipping in

Many trainer fed up with certain super trainers stayed north this winter or shipped elsewhere

Tampa area still hasn't recovered from economic slow down

Management tries hard but many times misses the target

And it sure was hard finding much of redeeming value in that card today..which sadly has become a daily problem of late

Grunder might be lame as an announcer but he is part of the color of our piece of paradise.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #43
RXB

Quote:
However to make a correlation that racing has taken a nose dive because I don't like hearing a friend bashed is pretty far out there.
I understand where you're coming from. I don't blame you for backing fellow announcers more than I would as a customer with no personal/professional ties.

From a customer perspective, you want a good caller. Terry Wallace's name has come up in this thread. By all accounts a great guy-- I think you knew him, correct?-- but age had caught up with him in his final few years and his last season was downright painful. Nothing personal but I was one of the people who was saying during that last campaign that he had to go.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #44
ElKabong

Quote:
27 years doesn't mean dick.....

FWIW, the people in LS' simo pavillion groan at Grunder's calls. He's horrible.

Take care of the rib. Whatever track you're calling at these days needs you at 100%
Old 02-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #45
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I know that was a cheap shot. I'm just in a mood. Dislocated rib. However to make a correlation that racing has taken a nose dive because I don't like hearing a friend bashed is pretty far out there.
It is about having people in positions where they really don't do a good job.

For the record, I never said he should lose his job. I just said he has to be the worse. I can guarantee you I have listened to many more of his calls than you have in the last decade.

I bet lots of money every year. Don't I have the right to be able to watch races and replays and at least have the announcer identify the right horses? How about get the names right at least somewhat consistently?

Nobody is saying an announcer should be 100% perfect. But whatever the standard should be, he is far below it. This isn't about liking a particular style or voice or accent. We all have our preferences (I like Rodman, Jones and Collmus, admittedly a friend) and don't like some others, but if someone gets the basics right, I won't complain. When you screw up the simple things consistently, I deserve better than that.

http://www.drf.com/news/few-upgrades...ns-even-better
Closed Thread