Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 4.78 average.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #241
Ocala Mike

Here's what Mirahmadi posted on Facebook about his call:

"I have critiqued and studied racecalls and announcers for as long as I can remember. My Arkansas Derby call was a nightmare. I was at back of pack, shifted to leaders and didn't see War Academy pulling up. Was scrambling trying to find him/figure it out and never recovered. I still can't believe it happened. Wish I had a video of what I was seeing through my binoculars during the frantic search for War Academy. You'd get dizzy watching it. I prefer pizza pie, but today the dish was humble pie."
Old 04-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #242
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

We learn the most through our mistakes, not our successes, so it's refreshing to see that Frank M. is clearly the type who wants to and will learn from his...
Old 04-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #243
racingfan378

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
We learn the most through our mistakes, not our successes, so it's refreshing to see that Frank M. is clearly the type who wants to and will learn from his...
I think Frank M is a very solid track announcer. But the question I have is simple, did he make the big time too soon? He has all kinds of races called under his belt, this race was Oaklawn's biggest race of the year and he botched it horribly. Inexcusable!

Now I am glad he can step up to the plate, be a man, admit what he did. Not many other announcers can or will do that.

However with all his years of experience he should have done a better job.

here is what a sports guy said about Frank's call

http://wnst.net/horse-racing/2013-pimlico-day-8/

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-14-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #244
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingfan378
. I don't understand how announcers can bet the races they are calling...that's like an umpire betting on the game he is overseeing.
No it's not - announcers have no effect on the outcome of the contest, umpires do

Last edited by PhantomOnTour; 04-14-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #245
racingfan378

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
No it's not - announcers have no effect on the outcome of the contest, umpires do
It's not about the outcome, it's about doing your job as a racecaller correctly

Try watching a race you bet on and call the race in your head. You're going to be watching your horse more than following the whole field without being bias.

Last edited by racingfan378; 04-14-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #246
thaskalos

Quote:
I think Frank M is a very solid track announcer. But the question I have is simple, did he make the big time too soon? He has all kinds of races called under his belt, this race was Oaklawn's biggest race of the year and he botched it horribly. Inexcusable!

Now I am glad he can step up to the plate, be a man, admit what he did. Not many other announcers can or will do that.

However with all his years of experience he should have done a better job.

here is what a sports guy said about Frank's call

http://wnst.net/horse-racing/2013-pimlico-day-8/
A botched race call is "inexcusable'?

C'mon...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-14-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #247
racingfan378

The valid source comes from articles themself posted on drf.com with an interview from Frank himself

“There’s no question I love action,” Mirahmadi said. “There’s nothing quite like the thrill of that. I’ve gotten caught up in the high-paced action of wagering all my life. There’s a certain thrill when you’re living on the edge that’s like nothing else. I’ve made some mistakes in the past. Anyone who knows me personally knows I’ve had to overcome some personal issues in my life.” Mirahmadi said he has left behind his overzealous gambling periods
Old 04-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #248
thaskalos

Quote:
The valid source comes from articles themself posted on drf.com with an interview from Frank himself

“There’s no question I love action,” Mirahmadi said. “There’s nothing quite like the thrill of that. I’ve gotten caught up in the high-paced action of wagering all my life. There’s a certain thrill when you’re living on the edge that’s like nothing else. I’ve made some mistakes in the past. Anyone who knows me personally knows I’ve had to overcome some personal issues in my life.” Mirahmadi said he has left behind his overzealous gambling periods
Any one of us could have made this sort of comment.

So what?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #249
thaskalos

Quote:
It's not about the outcome, it's about doing your job as a racecaller correctly

Try watching a race you bet on and call the race in your head. You're going to be watching your horse more than following the whole field without being bias.
It's called "professionalism".

I would guess that most of the race announcers are active bettors...but I have yet to hear one exclaiming expletives because the horse he has wagered on is receding into the field.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #250
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
... did he make the big time too soon? ....
This isn't a big race by industry standards, but if anything proves that the guy can handle the pressures of working out a terribly complicated call, this is it. I'll go on record and declare that working this call out to damn near total perfection from start to finish is proof that the call yesterday was just an inopportune time to have a bad moment.

You even get a classic Vic and a classic Stauffer.

[YT="The lllasssssttt one awayyyyyy..."]svuNMW3vsLU[/YT]

-Robert James Smith, 1989
Old 04-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #251
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike
Here's what Mirahmadi posted on Facebook about his call:

"I have critiqued and studied racecalls and announcers for as long as I can remember. My Arkansas Derby call was a nightmare. I was at back of pack, shifted to leaders and didn't see War Academy pulling up. Was scrambling trying to find him/figure it out and never recovered. I still can't believe it happened. Wish I had a video of what I was seeing through my binoculars during the frantic search for War Academy. You'd get dizzy watching it. I prefer pizza pie, but today the dish was humble pie."
Franks call was FAR from a nightmare. Missing a horse that's pulling up can happen to any announcer. When it does happen it's usually just really bad luck. Attention focused elsewhere. It's an awful feeling when you know a horse is missing and try as you might you can't find him. Each second feels like 10 minutes.

Unfortunately the field doesn't stop while you're trying to pull things together. I thought he regrouped nicely and properly exalted a very impressive winner.

Frank is an excellent announcer who deserves the position he's in. Was this his best effort? Of course not. Far from. However he's made superb calls in Graded Stakes many times before and will again.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #252
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Franks call was FAR from a nightmare. Missing a horse that's pulling up can happen to any announcer. When it does happen it's usually just really bad luck. Attention focused elsewhere. It's an awful feeling when you know a horse is missing and try as you might you can't find him. Each second feels like 10 minutes.

Unfortunately the field doesn't stop while you're trying to pull things together. I thought he regrouped nicely and properly exalted a very impressive winner.

Frank is an excellent announcer who deserves the position he's in. Was this his best effort? Of course not. Far from. However he's made superb calls in Graded Stakes many times before and will again.
Frank is fine, but it was a nightmare. You left out the part where he called the pulled up horse as making a move after he couldn't find him. Like I said when I brought this up, it happens, and he does a fine job.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #253
Striker

While it wasn't Frank's best announcing job, it was still a better job when compared to the 2011 Ark Derby call by Terry W, which was dreadful from the first turn til the finish.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #254
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer

I can appreciate what you are saying.... and we know your bias and who you defend, BUT surely the track announcer always should have a 9/5 bet down favorite somewhere in his sights in a big race such as the Arkansas Derby??

The fact is he made a huge mistake in a big race and it was magnified by the spotlight on the race.

I don't follow that track.
He may not make that mistake again for who knows how long.
Trying to explain it is fine, but the bottom line is Vic...it was a huge mistake
especially as the FAVORITE was involved.

Last edited by Greyfox; 04-15-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:43 AM   #255
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
This isn't a big race by industry standards, but if anything proves that the guy can handle the pressures of working out a terribly complicated call, this is it. I'll go on record and declare that working this call out to damn near total perfection from start to finish is proof that the call yesterday was just an inopportune time to have a bad moment.

You even get a classic Vic and a classic Stauffer.

[YT="The lllasssssttt one awayyyyyy..."]svuNMW3vsLU[/YT]
A work of genius!

I never tire of listening to it.