Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 4.78 average.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #151
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypp
dog tracks have the worst,they might be patrons.
Might as well be. Who the hell can even tell which one is which? It took me two months of boredom induced late night Havana Park OTB patronage to even realize that the seven dog wore some sort of Yankees jersey.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
Old 04-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #152
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
As long as he gets the horses right, who cares
Who's on First?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #153
Dan Montilion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
As long as he gets the horses right, who cares
Needed that laugh!! Thanks JustRalph.

Anthony Bourdain
Old 04-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #154
SandyW

This whole thread is as silly as they come.

Just one question, does it matter who the announcer is and does it put one extra dollar in our pockets??

Why do we have to criticize people that are trying to do a job to the best of their ability??
Old 04-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #155
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyW
This whole thread is as silly as they come.

Just one question, does it matter who the announcer is and does it put one extra dollar in our pockets??

Why do we have to criticize people that are trying to do a job to the best of their ability??
Of course it doesn't put money in our pockets, but it is supposed to be entertainment. Part of entertainment is getting a decent, accurate race call.

The guy at Tampa doesn't take the time to bother to learn the correct pronunciation of names. How is that the best of his, or anyone's, abilities? I don't really care much. Like I said, I find it funny. But please don't tell me someone that butchering names is doing his best. It isn't.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #156
SandyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Of course it doesn't put money in our pockets, but it is supposed to be entertainment. Part of entertainment is getting a decent, accurate race call.
You say it is entertainment, well take away the betting aspect of this so call entertainment and see how many people want to be entertained.

All I am saying is put yourself in Grunder's place and see how you would feel if people continue to attack you. This has been going on since Feb. 16. Nobody is perfect not even you.

There is an end to everything and by now anybody that has an IQ of over 50 should see that this topic is so very stale, boring & burned out.

There is so much going on in the racing game today that we as players should focus on some positive and constructive things in the sport instead of picking people apart.

Last edited by SandyW; 04-04-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #157
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
... This has been going on since Feb. 16...
Pretty sure it has been going on since around 1984.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
Old 04-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #158
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
All I am saying is put yourself in Grunder's place and see how you would feel if people continue to attack you.
I would get better. I would work harder. I would put in calls and find out how to pronounce names. The rest of his mistakes, no problem. That is just something he is doing his best, most likely. But there is no excuse for butchering names. Can't help but notice you ignored that point.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:41 AM   #159
SandyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I would get better. I would work harder. I would put in calls and find out how to pronounce names. The rest of his mistakes, no problem. That is just something he is doing his best, most likely. But there is no excuse for butchering names. Can't help but notice you ignored that point.
Can't help but notice you ignored my point restated below.

There is so much going on in the racing game today that we as players should focus on some positive and constructive things in the sport instead of picking people apart.

Last edited by SandyW; 04-05-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:10 AM   #160
Hosshead
It's A Photo-Ying & Yang

Quote:

So if you hired a plumber to fix the pipes in your house, only to come home from work to find your home flooded because he did such a lousy job, you would be happy that he attempted the job?

Most people work under scrutiny of some sort and if they can't "cut it" (do a good job) then they should be called on it, and either improve.. or be replaced.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #161
davew

I like him, but it does sound like he is yelling all the time.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #162
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:

Allow me to answer. It's a big board here with plenty of room to discuss ALL SORTS of topics...some important...some not as important...

Grunder, like all announcers in ALL sports, take heat when they screw up. That's the nature of the beast, and I see nothing wrong with that.

Carry on.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #163
comet52

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Mike called 22 Kentucky Derbies. Heady stuff indeed. I have "only" 22 more to go to catch him!
If you ever get so bad that your calls sound like are a guy they pulled out of the stands and said here call this race, if your calls sound like you are pausing to look at a crib sheet and then at the horse and then at the sheet while they run another 16th as you figure out a horse's name, if you recycle the same 3 descriptive phrases in each race and are just dull as nails, then yes, you too should be put out to pasture as this guy ought to be.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #164
comet52

I'll give props to a race caller instead of a bash.

The other day a horse in the 9th at AQU named Hyman Roth won, and as he crossed the line well ahead, Durkin said, "Hyman Roth, looking like he's bigger than U.S. Steel."

[YT="Hyman Roth"]vqUUIdv82fI[/YT]

Last edited by cj; 04-05-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #165
SandyLoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Mike called 22 Kentucky Derbies. Heady stuff indeed. I have "only" 22 more to go to catch him!
Not quite sure what your point is, Vic, but Battaglia is connected. 'Nuff said. I will say this: You are a great race caller, aces better than Battaglia, in my top five. Since you asked, I'll say, in no particular order, Stauffer, Peter Galassi, John G. Dooley (a true underrated star), Durkin, Frank Mirahmadi is good, Denman when he's on his game. And we will never forget the fantastic Phil Georgeff, a god in these parts.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: