Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 12-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
BELMONT 6-6-09

Some thoughts at Aqueduct

Spent an enjoyable week day at Aqueduct before the break. The crowd (well it looked like a crowd) because the grandstand is closed were in action. Just observing the horseplayers dancing every dance was quite comical. There was no doubt most of the people were there to gamble playing as many races as they can. And that's good if you can pay the price.

Myself I was trained by some shrewd old timers years ago to pick your spots and only bet with an edge and to this day I still obey this principle. Yes when I go to the track (once a month) or so I will make additional fun bets with the purpose of some action but this is also in the form of a plan.

The clubhouse was clean and just perfect for an afternoon at the races. I feel there is no substitute for seeing the races live once in a while to remain in 'contact' with the horse as an animal and not as a machine.

Had a nice conversation with Sam 'the buglar' at the rail and he is a gentleman who really enjoys his craft.

With my back against the rail fence I looked at the hulking decaying face of the grandstand and closed my eyes and imagined 40 years ago there would be 20,000 fans sitting there. Well before they broke for the winter hiatus that is.

I anticipate that when the work is completed NYRA will do a great job marketing the 'day at the races/slots concept.
BELMONT 6-6-09 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
santanajimi

Those were certainly the days of old...I started going to the races in te 70s at Belmont and the A.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
onefast99

You have a better shot of hitting the Mega Millions Lottery then seeing any real improvements to the "spectator" area of the track. They will make a nice comfy slot area and maybe a few minor improvements but dont expect to see a delaware park type atmosphere.
onefast99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Dude, forty years ago they would get 40,000 on a Wednesday! 60 to 70,000 wasn't unusual for a weekend.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
BELMONT 6-6-09

I was a little too young then but my buddies father and brother were regular virtually every day students at Aqueduct. They talked about many ace handicappers that knew all the nuances of almost every horse ( how they like to run and what part of the track etc.).

I remember the story of a guy named Lester who would pass a 15-1 winner staing that the odds were not to his liking. This man would go to the track with $10 to bet so every bet counted and he never worked a day in his life...the rumor was that he had a well heeled lady accomplice wow!

The school teacher that used to come in after the double and asked speed or closers .

I'm sure every one has some fond memories of the great years of this game.
BELMONT 6-6-09 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply