Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 05-19-2019, 02:39 AM   #16
coachv30

I am currently 48 YO. I played in the tigers organization for 6 years and made it as far as AA. I then went on to coach at the single A level for 2 years when I decided to finish college and get my degree in teaching.

I have been coaching HS and college level players since then. The game is changing as we speak!! Back in the 90's, hitters were drafted if they proved to be high percentage contact / average guys who could utilize the amount of field that is accessible to them (mainly gap to gap). Nowadays, the offensive game is getting watered down by "all or nothing" hitters. Sabermetrics (mainly "launch angle" is killing this sport). Every ball put in play has a Fu***ng angle!!! Does it really matter that a line drive to the left center gap had a launch angle of 18 degrees and a 420 foot home run had an angle of 43 degrees? It's where you happened to make contact with the ball in relation to the hitting zone that created that result.

The problem is that organizations who are training today's youth / tomorrow's stars are making a pretty penny teaching approaches that try to create that 43 degree angle without taking more important aspects into mind such as situational hitting. The situation at any given time is the most important thing...that used to be the game and still should be.

So many amateur organizations throughout our nation are making money teaching kids this type of approach whether they are 6'5" 230 lbs or 5'8" 155. They are all being treated the same. They go to these showcase tournaments to play in front of scouts and play a makeshift version of the game of baseball.

Pitchers- throw as hard as you can!! Don't worry about controlling the running game, pick off moves, changing looks on the mound, fielding your position, etc.....

Hitters- Swing as hard as you can!! Get lift on the ball!! Maybe you'll open someone's eyes with your power. Forget about moving runners, hit and runs, bunting, hitting behind runners, working a count, etc...

When we get these guys in the spring for high school, they are literally "Baseball Stupid"!! I am seeing less and less baseball IQ as each year passes by.

I thank all of you for opening up this platform for me to vent. I am angry and frustrated, mainly because I just closed the local watering hole and lost my Preakness wagers today.

Good Night

Last edited by coachv30; 05-19-2019 at 02:49 AM.
coachv30 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #17
bpiets
Veteran

Boy, the Toronto blue jays are really a mess right now...and after all that hype getting a real slugger into thier line up three weeks ago....lol...but I expect thier hitting to suddenly come to life and perhaps win , say, 12 of 15 games they play shortly , starting with thier next win,
bpiets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #18
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachv30 View Post
I am currently 48 YO. I played in the tigers organization for 6 years and made it as far as AA. I then went on to coach at the single A level for 2 years when I decided to finish college and get my degree in teaching.

I have been coaching HS and college level players since then. The game is changing as we speak!! Back in the 90's, hitters were drafted if they proved to be high percentage contact / average guys who could utilize the amount of field that is accessible to them (mainly gap to gap). Nowadays, the offensive game is getting watered down by "all or nothing" hitters. Sabermetrics (mainly "launch angle" is killing this sport). Every ball put in play has a Fu***ng angle!!! Does it really matter that a line drive to the left center gap had a launch angle of 18 degrees and a 420 foot home run had an angle of 43 degrees? It's where you happened to make contact with the ball in relation to the hitting zone that created that result.

The problem is that organizations who are training today's youth / tomorrow's stars are making a pretty penny teaching approaches that try to create that 43 degree angle without taking more important aspects into mind such as situational hitting. The situation at any given time is the most important thing...that used to be the game and still should be.

So many amateur organizations throughout our nation are making money teaching kids this type of approach whether they are 6'5" 230 lbs or 5'8" 155. They are all being treated the same. They go to these showcase tournaments to play in front of scouts and play a makeshift version of the game of baseball.

Pitchers- throw as hard as you can!! Don't worry about controlling the running game, pick off moves, changing looks on the mound, fielding your position, etc.....

Hitters- Swing as hard as you can!! Get lift on the ball!! Maybe you'll open someone's eyes with your power. Forget about moving runners, hit and runs, bunting, hitting behind runners, working a count, etc...

When we get these guys in the spring for high school, they are literally "Baseball Stupid"!! I am seeing less and less baseball IQ as each year passes by.

I thank all of you for opening up this platform for me to vent. I am angry and frustrated, mainly because I just closed the local watering hole and lost my Preakness wagers today.

Good Night
i have a friend who has a kid that pitches for an ACC team. the kid throws 97 mph fastballs over the plate. the kid comes out of the game everytime he hits his pitch count. last i checked he had a 7-2 record.

the problem i have is that he is never in the game in the 7th or 8th inning when the money is on the line. you don't know if the kid can take the pressure or not.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2019, 03:09 PM   #19
Marshall Bennett

Noticed in the box scores yesterday there were two complete games, one a shutout. I nearly fell out of my chair.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #20
lamboguy

i just got done watching the Red Sox Astro series. the Astro's came off a 10 game winning streak. if that team stays away from injuries they will be tough in October. the Astro's play the game as good as anyone.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #21
Zydeco

Quote:

Good Night
The fact that teams with a runner on third and less than 2 outs can't get that runner home is really bad. That is situational hitting. No one will remember the guy hit a Sac fly to score the run and the team wins by one. But if he hits a homer!!!! I remember in the 70"s , Sparky Anderson with the Reds fined guys 50 bucks if they didn't get the runner home from 3rd with less than 2 outs.
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2019, 08:59 PM   #22
coachv30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydeco View Post
The fact that teams with a runner on third and less than 2 outs can't get that runner home is really bad. That is situational hitting. No one will remember the guy hit a Sac fly to score the run and the team wins by one. But if he hits a homer!!!! I remember in the 70"s , Sparky Anderson with the Reds fined guys 50 bucks if they didn't get the runner home from 3rd with less than 2 outs.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:46 PM   #23
Valuist

Quote:

Good Night
All great points and I agree completely.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2019, 11:57 PM   #24
woodbinepmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpiets View Post
Boy, the Toronto blue jays are really a mess right now...and after all that hype getting a real slugger into thier line up three weeks ago....lol...but I expect thier hitting to suddenly come to life and perhaps win , say, 12 of 15 games they play shortly , starting with thier next win,
It is hard to watch right now.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:17 AM   #25
kingfin66
Bombardier

Here is Washington Post story that touches on some of the points discussed in this thread. What to do about the problem?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.803d3b020f9e
Old 06-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #26
Tor Ekman

And once again, another dumpster fire of a season in Flushing. On display last night were the polar opposites between a professionally run franchise and a franchise that's the sand box of an incompetent rich kid who was born on standing on third base by virtue of being a member of the lucky womb club but thinks he hit a triple to get there
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2019, 01:20 AM   #27
MutuelClerk

Fernando Tatis Jr. is going to be the best player since Mike Trout. Buy his rookie cards. Thank me later....
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2019, 02:32 AM   #28
TJDave

I don’t understand the purpose of this thread. I’ve been in bars and at the park. Nobody actually watches a baseball game. Maybe one nerd in the corner. For everyone else it’s instant replay.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:22 AM   #29
Marshall Bennett

Thought card collecting was nearly dead. Cards produced after the 70's are virtually worthless if you go to sell them. That's if you are lucky enough to find anyone who wants them. Stamp collecting suffered a similar fate. Other than a few standouts, nobody wants them. Coins aren't racking up a lot of interest either. Again, other than the extremely rare, gold, and silver, interest has virtually evaporated.
Reasons are simple. Die-hard collectors are now older or dead, and the newer generations won't devote their time. Baseball card makers flooded the market in the early 80's making newer cards worthless to own. Younger collectors were chased away and then the high-tech revolution entered the market. The rest is history.
I sold my dad's coin collection which was a nice one..at least I thought so, but was basically given its value in gold and silver. A few old coins brought a fraction what they were once worth. All the proof sets after 1963 brought little over face value. My dad had stacks. The man said his ability to turn them over for any profit just isn't there anymore.
Its all a shame, but times change and so do people's desires and interest I suppose.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: