Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #16
ArlJim78

this is a travesty. that video collection was a real treasure for fans. it looks like this guy is going to get his recognition at last. I hope he's happy now.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #17
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I am so angered by this, it isn't even funny. It would be one thing if the tracks themselves or whomever claimed to own the copyright were the ones doing the complaining, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

I just came across this article while doing a search on Partymanners...I don't recall ever seeing a link to this NY Times blog piece posted here...it's a great read, and it shows that Mr. Conti has excellent taste, as he and I share an all-time favorite horse...Holy Bull.

http://therail.blogs.nytimes.com/200...tal-historian/
Thanks, PA...it IS a great read...and timely too...I discovered partymanners youtube video's years ago in looking for some of Foolish Pleasure's races...and I have been a regular vistor ever since...I am sure I've watched 100 video's there...I was especially thrilled to see one of the greatest 'match races' ever...Ridan & Jaipur...it's a one in a million race that everyone should see.

This entire thing is a travesty...and I hope Mr. Conti's place on youtube is brought back...and the person that did this 'crime'...and it IS a crime, will at least come foward and explain himself...although, I doubt it...it was a chicken $hit thing to do, and he probably is too chicken$hit to explain himself.

Did you see all the comments that the NY Times blog brought...all these folks that used partymanners video's for various reasons, but mostly because they were just finding this incredible sport, and those videos brought them right into it...

OHOHOH...this makes me sick.

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey

Last edited by joanied; 01-09-2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: typo
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #18
joanied

[QUOTE=Citation1947]Yep, im pissed too. First Bryan's account was closed a couple weeks ago and now Partymanners. I had about 150 races from these two guys saved. Sorry PM, I know you spent a lot of your time doing this for us horseman and race fans. You could always be counted on to have videos up within minutes of the actual race or when we got home from work.

Anyone have some cement?[/QUOTE]

...where's Tony Soprano when ya need him!!!

Gandalf the Grey
Old 01-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #19
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Am I to understand that somebody is claiming some sort of copyright authority over a videotaped recording of Easy Goer's races that were BROADCAST on TV?

If I understand this madness correctly, this would be like me recording Goodfellas off of TV, giving the tape to my friend so that he can put a scene up on YouTube, and then my friend going to YouTube claiming copyright over the videotape used to harvest the scene...

If anybody has a claim of foul in my hypothetical instance, it would be Warner Bros., would it not?
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #20
letswastemoney

Wow I've never heard of someone act so childishly in my life.

It's like giving someone a Christmas gift, then taking it back 6 months later because you didn't feel appreciated enough.

But giving someone a gift isn't supposed to have strings attached like that. It's just something you do out of kindness.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #21
joanied

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirisClown
This is pretty much he entire story, written speedily for those interested in it..

A few years ago I started a YouTube channel to pretty much show fans races they had no way of seeing anymore. Past greats like Holy Bull, Cigar, Skip Away etc.. It steadily built up over time.. by the time it was shut down the other day it had well over 2000 race videos.. and the channel had about 5 million views.

Some time in 2008 the individual who had my channel shut down contacted me and said he had many past stakes races on video, recorded on vhs mainly from replay shows and wanted to know if Id like to add them to my channel.. Naturally i said yes..

Everything moved along smoothly until an article about me was written and appeared in the Sunday NY Times sports section.. Once this individual read it he was extremely upset that he was not written about too.. something I had no control over. The author who wrote it was interested in the story behind my channel and what motivated me to do it.. I managed to smooth things out with him though after adding a "special thank you" notice on my channel devoted to him.. so we continued...

Fast Forward a few months to September, to me receiving an email from the upset individual.. demanding that I thank him even more and show more appreciation than I've shown, or he would "pull the plug" on the whole operation.. He continued on, as if he was speaking to a naughty 5yr old.. I wouldn't have any of it and I told him he was taking the fun out of doing it and I no longer wanted to work with him.. I was not doing it for recognition where it seems that was his only intent.

Fast forward again to Thursday night and my channel being shut down.. I received notifications that he claims to own Easy Goer's race videos from Aqueduct, Belmont, Saratoga etc.. He even claims to own the video of Fusaichi Pegasus winning the Kentucky Derby, somehow he convinced YouTube that he personally owns the copyright to the races.

He apparently has worked in different areas of racing before.. but from this experience it appears he is nothing more than any enemy of the sport..
I swear, I have steam coming out of my ears...
I am thinking that maybe youtube should, or will, investigate this insensitve, egotistical, moron's claim about copyright, and then get all of partymanners stuff back up & running...I feel like I just lost a good friend.
jeeze, I'm mad as hell

Gandalf the Grey
Old 01-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #22
KirisClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Am I to understand that somebody is claiming some sort of copyright authority over a videotaped recording of Easy Goer's races that were BROADCAST on TV?

If I understand this madness correctly, this would be like me recording Goodfellas off of TV, giving the tape to my friend so that he can put a scene up on YouTube, and then my friend going to YouTube claiming copyright over the videotape used to harvest the scene...

If anybody has a claim of foul in my hypothetical instance, it would be Warner Bros., would it not?
That's exactly what happened.. I could understand if NYRA or ESPN made the claims of ownership and wanted the videos removed.. but they didn't, it was the aforementioned individual who orchestrated the removal, claiming his own copyrights were being infringed.

It's really had to believe that someone would think that because they recorded something off of television that they now own all rights to it..

I'm guessing this person misrepresented themselves to YouTube for that story to stick..
KirisClown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #23
W2G

This is insanity. Guys and gals lets band together to fix this.

What needs to happen?
W2G is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #24
KirisClown

Now he's doing it to my second channel... claiming videos that I uploaded off of my own tapes.

His name is JEFF MENDE...

A true enemy of racing and to race fans all over..
Old 01-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #25
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirisClown
Now he's doing it to my second channel... claiming videos that I uploaded off of my own tapes.

His name is JEFF MENDE...

A true enemy of racing and to race fans all over..
I had a feeling
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #26
BetCrazyGirl

By his standards, isn't he dampering on your infringed rights as well? I'm not tech savwy and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming you had to copy the VHS onto something else to get it up on youtube, so if he claims some copyright thing from coping a broadcast on TV, wouldn't the youtube stuff be yours since its your copy in away? I know stuff don't work like that but it just seems really hypocritical of him.
BetCrazyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #27
KirisClown

Just a sample of what happens.. he know says he owns Gulfstream replay races as well.. so my Partymanners2 channel is probably going down now too, races of Ghostzapper, videos of Harvey Pack etc.. will all be lost..

Old 01-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #28
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2G
This is insanity. Guys and gals lets band together to fix this.

What needs to happen?
The problem is that (so far as I can tell) republishing these probably was unauthorized by whoever does hold the copyright, which is really all that's required to get a takedown.

From Youtubes copyright complaint submittal form:

Quote:
A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
It sucks, but he most likely did not have to misrepresent anything. If he knew that neither he nor Kiris had received expressed approval, then that is likely all it took.

The only way to likely permanently reverse this is to actually get express permission from the copyright owners.

EDIT: If he did lie about himself owning the copyright, which the above you posted makes it look like it did -- the problem is still the same, you can't enter a counter claim unless you DO have express permission:

Quote:
If you believe your content was misidentified as infringing, you may file a counter-notification. If you did not have all of the rights to post the material at issue, you MUST NOT submit a counter-notification.

Last edited by chickenhead; 01-09-2010 at 09:50 PM.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #29
KirisClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhead
The problem is that (so far as I can tell) republishing these probably was unauthorized by whoever does hold the copyright, which is really all that's required to get a takedown.

From Youtubes copyright complaint submittal form:

It sucks, but he most likely did not have to misrepresent anything. If he knew that neither he nor Kiris had received expressed approval, then that is likely all it took.

The only way to likely permanently reverse this is to actually get express permission from the copyright owners.
The thing is.. he is saying he owns the content, that he has the rights to it.. he lists himself as the content owner.. that's the only way he's getting this done..

I'm done now anyway.. I just wanted people to know what a low life he was/is..
Old 01-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #30
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

yeah I saw your post and edited mine. It sucks for everyone, most of all you for all the time you put into it, but there really isn't any way to fix it.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply