Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:29 PM   #16
letswastemoney

I'm truly surprised at everyone thinks that Tiger Woods will become irrelevant soon.

No 14-time major winner can ever be irrelevant.

If Jack Nicklaus were still playing today, there would be some coverage of his holes and articles written about him every time he teed it up.

Tiger Woods deserves coverage because he's one of the legends in golf, regardless of what he did off the course which I think is clouding some people's opinions.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2015, 11:36 PM   #17
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
I'm truly surprised at everyone thinks that Tiger Woods will become irrelevant soon.

No 14-time major winner can ever be irrelevant.

If Jack Nicklaus were still playing today, there would be some coverage of his holes and articles written about him every time he teed it up.

Tiger Woods deserves coverage because he's one of the legends in golf, regardless of what he did off the course which I think is clouding some people's opinions.
What he did off the course (in my opinion) is take PED's and now his body is paying the price.
His extramarital runnings have no bearing on my golf opinion of him
Old 06-18-2015, 11:47 PM   #18
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Bottom-line, Tiger Woods is in a death spiral. It would take a miracle from the Heavens, AND a total about-face from Woods, in all facets of his life, to save him from his own self-destruction......
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2015, 11:52 PM   #19
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
What he did off the course (in my opinion) is take PED's and now his body is paying the price.
His extramarital runnings have no bearing on my golf opinion of him
I have no idea if he took PED's but there were also rumors, I believe mentioned in Haney's book, that he trained with Navy Seals and got hurt and it is probably still affecting him.

I dont think it is the whole reason, but I think his off course stuff with females has affected him. To get as good as he got at golf, you have to truly believe you are perfect and have an almost otherworldly sense of self confidence. All that left when he got busted cheating and all of a sudden, he knew everyone watching him knew he was far from perfect and that must be hard to handle.

If he were anyone else(maybe like Baker Finch), I would feel sorry for him at this point.
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2015, 12:05 AM   #20
DJofSD
Screw PC

He f*cked up his left knee. Whether it was in part due to his fascination with Navy Seal training or his old swing where he posted up with a violent jerk, his knee is just about shot. He can not take any risk with what he has left. And so, he's changed his swing to compensate. And it shows.

Plus, I believe deep down inside, he feels the need to prove to the newer, younger generation of golfers, they don't have anything on him especially when it comes to distance. I believe he could still be the excellent player he is if he would only concede he can not reasonably expect to get those additional 10, 15, 20 yards any longer.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:38 AM   #21
Greyfox

The course is in great shape - through the fairways and greens.
The U.S. Open is supposed to be the top test for golf in America.
As intended, Chambers Bay is separating those who are well prepared for it and those who aren't.
Kudos to Phil Mickelson, Miguel Angel Jiminez and Colin Montgomery, all at -1, who are still competitive in spite of increasing years.

Last edited by Greyfox; 06-19-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2015, 01:05 AM   #22
phattty

Like the course"..the players...but not Fox 's bungled up broadcast
phattty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2015, 01:23 AM   #23
MutuelClerk

Totally agree about FOX. As much as I enjoy golf, I understand how it can be seen as boring. Adding Joe Buck to the recipe certainly doesn't help. He's terrible. Greg Norman isn't adding much either. I did like how they darkened the greens to show the slope and break.

I thought Tiger would make the cut. For all the surgeries he's had his problems are from the neck up. In his peak that was his strength. Tiger has become a Ian Baker Finch and Steve Sax exacta box. Gone mentally. He's too proud to go back to Butch. I think that's the only way he can even come close to a recovery. Looking forward to the rest of this and maybe winning a shipload of money.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2015, 04:08 AM   #24
gfnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattty
Like the course"..the players...but not Fox 's bungled up broadcast
Fox's coverage was about as bad as Tiger's round. I give them a double bogey.
gfnut is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2015, 06:43 AM   #25
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

They should have used Gus Johnson.

"From Downtown!! Bang! Count It!!!"

He would liven it up a little.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2015, 08:45 AM   #26
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 098poi
I am astonished at CurtisontheBay's comment. Difficult to respond. Truly the stupidest, most idiotic post on PA I have ever seen.
I posted this: "If he were not black, he would be a non-issue."

I should have posted If he were not Tiger Woods, he would be a non-issue.

I stand by the first comment as I remember well when he burst onto the scene much was made of his skin color by the national media and how this would expose younger blacks to the sport and increase viewership among African-Americans. Their words, not mine.

I do not know how tee times are assigned for the first round of tournament play. Isn't it odd how Tiger ends up teeing off 30 minutes before the telecast begins. Luck of the draw or network manipulation.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #27
tophatmert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisontheBay
I posted this: "If he were not black, he would be a non-issue."

I should have posted If he were not Tiger Woods, he would be a non-issue.

I stand by the first comment as I remember well when he burst onto the scene much was made of his skin color by the national media and how this would expose younger blacks to the sport and increase viewership among African-Americans. Their words, not mine.

I do not know how tee times are assigned for the first round of tournament play. Isn't it odd how Tiger ends up teeing off 30 minutes before the telecast begins. Luck of the draw or network manipulation.
The tee times are set by the USGA. The groupings and tee times are determined by a panel of USGA officials. No it is not odd that Tiger teed off when he did Fox and the USGA would like a few people to watch. The comment about "if he were not Tiger" is mind boggling.
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #28
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisontheBay
It's not luck of the draw.
The groupings are deliberately matched up and placed in the first two days to maximize the exposure of who the TV audience is most interested.
Except for their parents and friends, not many viewers want to watch "no name" brands like Brad Elder and Beau Hossler (even though they are good players in their own right.)
For instance, the marquee group on Thursday afternoon was Jordan Speith, Jason Day and Justin Rose.
Tiger, as a well known product brand, teed off just behind them.
That's good marketing and increases viewership.
Of course, the final two days will see more merit based coverage.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #29
tophatmert

That is a tough first day of coverage for Fox. Tiger and Ricky did Fox no favors yesterday. Fowler, who looks like the "edgy Osmond brother " was most likely going to get a lot of coverage if he was close to the front. Fox would love Phil and Jordan to hang in there. I did like the wide angle sweeping camera shots.
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2015, 11:10 AM   #30
cj's dad

The comment about "if he were not Tiger" is mind boggling.

Why? He's done. Been done. Good riddance to a foul mouthed, hot headed golfer.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: