Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #5596
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
If that's of matter to you, define define.
Yup, Actor is playing the ol' Define Game again. But I'll humor him.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #5597
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Define matter.
Try this on for size:

the substance or substances of which any physical object consists or is composed:
the matter of which the earth is made.
physical or corporeal substance in general, whether solid, liquid, or gaseous, especially as distinguished from incorporeal substance, as spirit or mind, or from qualities, actions, and the like.
something that occupies space.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #5598
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
the substance or substances of which any physical object consists or is composed:
the matter of which the earth is made.
physical or corporeal substance in general, whether solid, liquid, or gaseous, especially as distinguished from incorporeal substance, as spirit or mind, or from qualities, actions, and the like.
These two simply kick the can down the road since the obvious next question is "define substance." That definition will likely also have some term yet to be defined. Ultimately you come back to "matter" and the definition is circular. Use any dictionary you want and the same thing will happen. Try it.

Quote:
Not helpful. Energy also occupies space.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:09 PM   #5599
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Define space.
4 a : a boundless three-dimensional extent in which objects and events occur and have relative position and direction

Define extent.
3 c : the amount of space or surface that something occupies or the distance over which it extends :

The circle closes after only two tries. Furthermore the definition of extent closes immediately since it is self referencing.

Are we having fun yet?

Last edited by Actor; 02-23-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:48 PM   #5600
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Define space.
4 a : a boundless three-dimensional extent in which objects and events occur and have relative position and direction

Are we having fun yet?
So boxcar is correct you need both objects (matter) and events to have "space".
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Old 02-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #5601
boxcar

Quote:
Define space.
4 a : a boundless three-dimensional extent in which OBJECTS and EVENTS occur and have relative position and DIRECTION[/b] (most of the emphases mine)

Define extent.
3 c : the amount of space or surface that something occupies or the distance over which it extends :

The circle closes after only two tries. Furthermore the definition of extent closes immediately since it is self referencing.

Are we having fun yet?
What part of 4 a, didn't you get?

If you didn't have objects and events occurring in Space, you would not know it's three-dimensional. Back to my analogy of a room. We know that a room is three-dimensional ONLY BECAUSE ITS MATTER REVEALS THAT TO US, i.e. that it has length, height and width.. Remove all the physical boundaries to the room that comprise those three dimensions, and you have NO MORE three-dimensional SPACE, for you have no more room.

You're getting closer and closer to that Hall of Shame to which you seem to have a fatal attraction.

Last edited by boxcar; 02-23-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #5602
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
What part of 4 a, didn't you get?

If you didn't have objects and events occurring in Space, you would not know it's three-dimensional. Back to my analogy of a room. We know that a room is three-dimensional ONLY BECAUSE ITS MATTER REVEALS THAT TO US, i.e. that it has length, height and width.. Remove all the physical boundaries to the room that comprise those three dimensions, and you have NO MORE three-dimensional SPACE, for you have no more room.

You're getting closer and closer to that Hall of Shame to which you seem to have a fatal attraction.
The point I was making is that all definitions are either circular or trace back to a primitive term.

The question before that was "Can there be any radiation without Matter?" I see no reason why not.

As for the question before, it's philosophical and I have no interest in it. You and the others carry on.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:21 PM   #5603
boxcar

Quote:
The point I was making is that all definitions are either circular or trace back to a primitive term.

The question before that was "Can there be any radiation without Matter?" I see no reason why not.

As for the question before, it's philosophical and I have no interest in it. You and the others carry on.
Well...if all definitions are circular, then evolution is guilty as charged!

Also radiation is the emission and propagation of energy in the form of rays or waves.

And energy is the power derived from the utilization of physical or chemical resources, especially to provide light and heat or to work machines.

Without Matter, No Energy. Without Energy, no radiation.

I had no idea you were so heavy into the metaphysical, i.e. radiation, energy, etc. Kool.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:03 PM   #5604
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
And energy is the power derived from the utilization of physical or chemical resources, especially to provide light and heat or to work machines.
Energy is the application of a force through a distance or the potential to apply a force through a distance.

That's the definition of energy. It's in every Physics 101 textbook.

I don't care what kind of energy you name: light, heat, electrical, etc. They can all be shown to come down to that definition. Take my word for it.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:06 PM   #5605
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Well...if all definitions are circular, then evolution is guilty as charged!
Prove it.

Exactly what is the charge?

Last edited by Actor; 02-23-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:09 PM   #5606
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I had no idea you were so heavy into the metaphysical, i.e. radiation, energy, etc. Kool.
Physics is all about energy, almost by definition. And it's physical, not metaphysical, hence the name.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:16 PM   #5607
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Without Matter, No Energy.
Redundant! Matter and energy are the same thing. That's what E = mc^2 means.

Are we having fun yet?
Old 02-23-2018, 10:57 PM   #5608
HalvOnHorseracing

It's like watching a really bad movie in slow motion.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:05 AM   #5609
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Anybody won this argument/discussion yet, or will it go on for another 2,000 years?
Old 02-24-2018, 02:33 AM   #5610
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Church affiliation has nothing to do with salvation.
So Jews and Roman Catholics are saved too??