Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-24-2023, 10:45 AM   #31
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
yea, though I am assuming if this is a add for a replacement you will be onsite mostly, which means SA about 8 months a year, rent for Del Mar about 3 months and then in studio for about a month.

Its gonna be steep living accommodations unless your into long commutes.

Heck in california now its gonna be $15 for a big mac.

In the studio or onsite, where you could live to avoid traffic hell and the high rent district depends on work hours. I would suggest whomever is interested in the job get all the details and then ask around for people that know the areas to provide information. I lived 50 years in SoCal before escaping, made too many trips to DelMar and Santa Anita to count. I am sure traffic is even worse. If you were doing onsite at Del Mar, probably commuting from Vista would be doable, my knowledge of prices and traffic in those areas could be dated.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2023, 11:08 AM   #32
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
In the studio or onsite, where you could live to avoid traffic hell and the high rent district depends on work hours. I would suggest whomever is interested in the job get all the details and then ask around for people that know the areas to provide information. I lived 50 years in SoCal before escaping, made too many trips to DelMar and Santa Anita to count. I am sure traffic is even worse. If you were doing onsite at Del Mar, probably commuting from Vista would be doable, my knowledge of prices and traffic in those areas could be dated.
I've heard on-air talent mention casually a few times that there's a per diem/travel allowance. They don't commute daily to DMR.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2023, 12:15 PM   #33
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
I would be pretty confident they get a stipend for housing at Del Mar.

I'm working on my list of replacements from PA for Britney. Other than Dialesp and Sheffwed, I'm kind of stumped, for the moment at least.
Why does the person taking the job have to be a replacement for Britney? Britney has her talents others have their talents. I haven’t seen her in years, but from what I remember she was a very good interviewer and very mediocre handicapper. Maybe her capping evolved over the years (maybe not) but there are a lot of different skill sets that can provide value to a show like that.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2023, 01:04 PM   #34
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Why does the person taking the job have to be a replacement for Britney? Britney has her talents others have their talents. I haven’t seen her in years, but from what I remember she was a very good interviewer and very mediocre handicapper. Maybe her capping evolved over the years (maybe not) but there are a lot of different skill sets that can provide value to a show like that.

sar·casm
/ˈsärˌkazəm/
noun
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
"his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2023, 01:41 PM   #35
Poindexter

Quote:
sar·casm
/ˈsärˌkazəm/
noun
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
"his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"
I must be slow this morning, but I don’t see it. Obviously the remarks about Dilane and Shefwed were sarcastic because you have feuded online with both. But when you said you were stumped you were basically implying the entire board. So I do not see the sarcasm in that regard.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2023, 01:59 PM   #36
Sheffwed

here's an example

Quote:
I must be slow this morning, but I don’t see it. Obviously the remarks about Dilane and Shefwed were sarcastic because you have feuded online with both. But when you said you were stumped you were basically implying the entire board. So I do not see the sarcasm in that regard.
I'm glad NYRA puts emphasis on its hired analysts being focused on expanding the audience for horse racing

now that is sarcasm

actually by and large all of the analysts are doing a good job these days, tlg must miss having Anthony to kick around
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2023, 06:09 PM   #37
the little guy

Quote:
I am exactly as stumped as I am feuding.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2023, 08:13 PM   #38
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
For a long while their broadcasting home was a modest studio at the corner of Olympic and Bundy in west LA, almost in Santa Monica. I think right up until about 2006 or 2007?
That’s the one I toured

My wife was running the Cheesecake Factory on San Vicente at the time. I don’t think it’s there anymore.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2023, 08:36 PM   #39
paulbenny

I would be very happy with someone like Kurt Hoover getting a job like that. I watch races all over the country, and it appears that:

1. Detailed tracking of the analyst or host picks over a rolling period of time does not exist in terms of being posted, so how good or bad they are vs. informative is most important and that is a judgement call.
2. There is a propensity to have a younger woman as part of the team which to me is a bias; again I am guessing on this point and I do not have a list of every team including the Texas and Oklahoma or other midwestern tracks which I watch- looks matter little but content does and I do listen to the different hosts vs actually looking at them.
3. Someone really familiar with the track going back a long time, and or the circuit a long time is great.
4. A positive personality who seems genuine in the interviews in the paddock, quick on their feet.

I saw the job on Indeed and with all the laws regarding hiring today it had to be posted is my educated guess.

To me, Hoover has all of those attributes. I really value sincerity in the role too and he is clearly very sincere. He is a mainstay there from what I can tell.

He is probably followed by or led by Mark Patterson who clearly has it all and that makes me watch Mountaineer for his insight, enthusiasm and sincerity. These are the people that keep me interested. Egoless yet familiar.

I am assuming one hire not a team as posted.
paulbenny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2023, 09:31 PM   #40
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbenny View Post
I would be very happy with someone like Kurt Hoover getting a job like that. I watch races all over the country, and it appears that:

1. Detailed tracking of the analyst or host picks over a rolling period of time does not exist in terms of being posted, so how good or bad they are vs. informative is most important and that is a judgement call.
2. There is a propensity to have a younger woman as part of the team which to me is a bias; again I am guessing on this point and I do not have a list of every team including the Texas and Oklahoma or other midwestern tracks which I watch- looks matter little but content does and I do listen to the different hosts vs actually looking at them.
3. Someone really familiar with the track going back a long time, and or the circuit a long time is great.
4. A positive personality who seems genuine in the interviews in the paddock, quick on their feet.

I saw the job on Indeed and with all the laws regarding hiring today it had to be posted is my educated guess.

To me, Hoover has all of those attributes. I really value sincerity in the role too and he is clearly very sincere. He is a mainstay there from what I can tell.

He is probably followed by or led by Mark Patterson who clearly has it all and that makes me watch Mountaineer for his insight, enthusiasm and sincerity. These are the people that keep me interested. Egoless yet familiar.

I am assuming one hire not a team as posted.
Kurt Hoover has had that exact job before.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2023, 08:29 AM   #41
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I’m going to apply for the position

I’m a cinch
Old 11-26-2023, 06:51 AM   #42
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbenny View Post

Tx, man. I live for it.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2023, 10:27 AM   #43
dilanesp

Quote:
I would be pretty confident they get a stipend for housing at Del Mar.

I'm working on my list of replacements from PA for Britney. Other than Dialesp and Sheffwed, I'm kind of stumped, for the moment at least.
I can talk (and could do it on TV), but I can't handicap my way out of a paper bag.

You are very good at your (quite difficult) job, and what TVG needs is people who have your particular skill set-- good talker, good handicapper.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2023, 10:38 AM   #44
affirmedny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
You are very good at your (quite difficult) job, and what TVG needs is people who have your particular skill set-- good talker, good handicapper.
stupidest thing they do is have commentators that very obviously don't gamble post suggested tickets
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2023, 11:19 AM   #45
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I can talk (and could do it on TV), but I can't handicap my way out of a paper bag.

I swore I was done but I hate stupid posts like this.

Yeah, anyone could just show up and talk on TV. Diane, you're reasonably smart but we have absolutely no idea if you could actually talk (TALK) about racing for 5 hours a day.

Do you remember the Seinfeld episode when George said he could be an announcer because he made good comments during games? And Jerry said, well, those jobs usually go to people who played the sport, or are trained in broadcasting? Paul Benny seems dead on the inside, but his trolling telling you all to apply was pretty funny for a bot. Dear lord, you have to actually learn how to talk on TV. Random people don't just show up and do play-by-play.

And the people who were like, "oh man, $90,000 a year is so much!" so you're one of a dozen people in the country with the job, and $90,000 is too much. I swear, this place, it's shut-in central.

Touch grass everyone!
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply