Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-24-2018, 06:20 AM   #61
devilsbag
Prefer to be called Dinny

Nothing will generate interest in the sport like an Arabian horse winning the formerly Thoroughbred Triple Crown.

Imagine this Emirates Airlines Belmont Cup: "The first three-quarters of a mile in one eighteen and three-fifths. He is moving like he's on a tremendous magic carpet."
devilsbag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #62
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I, personally, can't visually distinguish a Secretariat from a $5,000 claimer... nor can I tell if a race finished in 1:14 instead of 1:08. If it would spare me the horror of watching these magnificent animals breaking down...I wouldn't care if I were betting on a field of mules. Assuming, of course, that I could still access the requisite speed and pace figures.
I bet on mule races all the time, with my own speed figures.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #63
pandy

If Arabian horses rarely break down, it would be fine with me to bet and handicap them instead of thoroughbreds.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2018, 01:38 PM   #64
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
If Arabian horses rarely break down, it would be fine with me to bet and handicap them instead of thoroughbreds.
That was the original premise. Me too!
Old 09-24-2018, 01:57 PM   #65
tholl

Long term solution, get rid of Grade One sprints/mile races. Make the focus on longer races for four-year-old and up. Get rid of Lasix.
tholl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #66
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsbag View Post
Nothing will generate interest in the sport like an Arabian horse winning the formerly Thoroughbred Triple Crown.

Imagine this Emirates Airlines Belmont Cup: "The first three-quarters of a mile in one eighteen and three-fifths. He is moving like he's on a tremendous magic carpet."
I give you credit for cleverness but if all that people really wanted was horses that "move like a tremendous machine", they'd all switch to auto racing.
Most people can tell or care about the difference in time if the race is competitive. Arabians are already fast, beautiful and competitive enough to generate fan interest. If we could design robots that ran faster than horses would that replace horse racing among its fans?

Last edited by bobphilo; 09-24-2018 at 03:15 PM.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #67
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
I give you credit for cleverness but if all that people really wanted was horses that "move like a tremendous machine", they'd all switch to auto racing.
Most people can tell or care about the difference in time if the race is competitive. Arabians are already fast, beautiful and competitive enough to generate fan interest. If we could design robots that ran faster than horses would that replace horse racing among its fans?
Note: I am not advocating replacing T-Bred racing with Arabians. A more practical solution is to breed for soundness in T-Breds even if it means the horses would be a little slower.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:37 PM   #68
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Based on that if I had seen MANY more Arabian races the divide would become greater.
Not likely, since the ratio of t-bred to Arabian races you've seen is probably something like a gazillion to one.

That's my simple point.

Anyhoo....YEAH Arabians are sturdier and break down far less frequently. So do pack mules. Why not just skip Arabians and move to mules.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 09-24-2018 at 04:38 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2018, 04:40 PM   #69
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Not likely, since the ratio of t-bred to Arabian races you've seen is probably something like a gazillion to one.

That's my simple point.

Anyhoo....YEAH Arabians are sturdier and break down far less frequently. So do pack mules. Why not just skip Arabians and move to mules.
Ok. Sure. Sounds good. That's an idea. Not my idea. But an idea nonetheless.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:48 PM   #70
Dan Montilion

I bet on mules all the time. Past performances suggest they are thoroughbreds, come the 1/4 pole they turn into mules.

Anthony Bourdain
Dan Montilion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2018, 12:54 AM   #71
Clydepuckett

Quote:
Make the focus on longer races for four-year-old and up. Get rid of Lasix.
The QH world says you suck.......lol. Two year olds rule that world.

Saying that as a former QH devoted handicapper that switched to TB.

I was good,too. Had a tip sheet service.

And then they allowed embryo transfers......my God. Full same aged brothers and sisters competing. What a sham.
Clydepuckett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2018, 07:39 PM   #72
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Sorry about adding fuel to the fire but...

Four racing fatalities in one week at Churchill
https://www.drf.com/news/four-racing...week-churchill
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2018, 08:11 PM   #73
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenj View Post
Sorry about adding fuel to the fire but...

Four racing fatalities in one week at Churchill
https://www.drf.com/news/four-racing...week-churchill
And one attempt (safer synthetic surfaces) that was actually working and reducing racing fatalities was abandoned for 2 reasons.

1) The poorly laid down track at Santa Anita was flooding after heavy rains because the idiots that installed the drainage system didn't know what they were doing.
The other California tracks that installed the new surface properly did not have this problem and fatalities decreased.

2) A lot of the bettors cared less about the lives saved than having to adapt to the new surface. Instead of bitching they should have grasped the opportunity to profit from a different type of racing for those clever enough to adapt.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #74
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
2) A lot of the bettors cared less about the lives saved than having to adapt to the new surface. Instead of bitching they should have grasped the opportunity to profit from a different type of racing for those clever enough to adapt.
Hmmmm...are you citing the only instance sine the beginning of time when bettors actually had some sort of impact on racing management decisions? That can not be...that never happens.

In any event, me thinks you exaggerate a bunch...still more than a few tracks out there running with fake dirt. How did those players adapt?
Old 10-01-2018, 04:48 PM   #75
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
And one attempt (safer synthetic surfaces) that was actually working and reducing racing fatalities was abandoned for 2 reasons.

1) The poorly laid down track at Santa Anita was flooding after heavy rains because the idiots that installed the drainage system didn't know what they were doing.
The other California tracks that installed the new surface properly did not have this problem and fatalities decreased.

I'd bet anything breeders had a lot more to do with the return to dirt than anything bettors said or did.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: