Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Canterbury to cut takeout across the board

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...ross-the-board
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #2
johnhannibalsmith

It's about time that someone took advantage of supplementation to take a little risk and try to actually build the core product in anticipation of weaning. Kudos indeed!

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #3
PressThePace

Hopefully, horseplayers actually play Canterbury. The ball is in the other court now. Time to put up or shut up.
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
cutchemist42

A decent track stepped up and did this. Horseplayers please respond or the wrong message is sent, and its further evidence the experiment doesnt work.

If I wasnt subjected to ASD's rates on American tracks, I'd be loving this.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #5
maclr11

Then I hope you went out and voted today cutchemist
maclr11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2016, 03:16 PM   #6
bello
Veteran

This is a huge Proof of Concept. If the bettors don't respond by playing Canterbury they will forever literally pay for any and every increased takeout moving forward and deserve what they get
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #7
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclr11
Then I hope you went out and voted today cutchemist
Oh I definitely did.

Don't think I heard any racing related points during the election process?

Last edited by cutchemist42; 04-19-2016 at 03:25 PM.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by bello
This is a huge Proof of Concept. If the bettors don't respond by playing Canterbury they will forever literally pay for any and every increased takeout moving forward and deserve what they get
We hear this kind of thing every time a track decides to offer a lower takeout...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bello
I wouldn't say they deserve it. If it's not a track you normally play, a few points in takeout may not help you if you're unfamiliar with the trainers and other idiosyncrasies of the track. Plus they're a night track which is good for some and bad for others. The players who play Canterbury regularly will increase the size of their wagers hopefully. Unfortunately it's always 3rd tier tracks who try reductions and rarely the major tracks
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #10
bello
Veteran

I agree guys and I for one make an effort to support the minor league tracks that do lower their takeouts. I learn them, their idiosyncrasys, trainers, etc and support them all I can. That is the point of what they are doing and why they should get support and get my betting dollars.

Believe me, it is not alwayd easy to bet into very small pools. I tried supporting Tioga harness when they lowered pools but it was a lost cause as the handles proved too putrid to be bet into. Some onus need to be put on the track itself to promote the lower take-outs. If they are well promoted and handle does not increase, those who complain about handles should at least keep it to themselves,
Old 04-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #11
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
We hear this kind of thing every time a track decides to offer a lower takeout...
Rightfully so. If bettors want lower takeout they have to support this type of move. We have the get the ball rolling the other direction and no better way to do it than to support a track that is headed in the right direction. Bean counters are going to want to make up for the lower takeout with enough increased betting to make it a smart decision. If bettors fail to deliver than they will just reverse course and a whole bunch of "I told you so's" will come from the racing industry.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Tracks HAVE lowered takeout before. And instituted new lower takeout wagers (Pick 5 in SoCal comes to mind) over the years.

Is there not enough evidence at this point that a properly promoted, lower takeout wager is going to attract significantly more handle?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #13
bello
Veteran

Quote:
Tracks HAVE lowered takeout before. And instituted new lower takeout wagers (Pick 5 in SoCal comes to mind) over the years.

Is there not enough evidence at this point that a properly promoted, lower takeout wager is going to attract significantly more handle?
Great question...anyone from H.A.N.A have any data?
Old 04-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #14
ronsmac

Quote:

In theory probably, in practice not always. I have friends that bet multiple tracks and into insane takeouts. What benefit they would get betting Canterbury would be negated when they bet their Penn national triple. Penn would actualy reap some of the reward of Canterbury"s lower take.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #15
Poindexter

Quote:

Pick 5 is just one wager and a low probability wager at that(very hard to churn money on a bet that is so hard to hit). With Canterbury they are reducing takeout in all the pools(18 % to 15% in WPS and 23% to 18% in the other pools). This is quite significant. This is the the type of experiment that every horseplayer should want to see and should want to support. Is it enough? Of course not, but if we do not support a track going to first base, how are we going to get to 2nd base, 3rd base and eventually home.

When a Track raises takeout 2% there are cries for boycotting, so now that one is lowering it 3 to 5 % there should be equally as loud cries for support.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply