Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-05-2024, 09:01 AM   #1
Snow Chief

The New Belmont Park

https://www.drf.com/news/plans-new-b...-park-released

For those of that love the racetrack and New York racing, this was much anticipated. I love the current Belmont Park, but it is showing its age and is just as old as the "Old Old Belmont Park" was when it was replaced. I get that the overall plan here of more greenspace and room for temporary facilities is the way things are going.

Still, what is it with this design? They just put all that effort into making UBS Arena and the new parking garage match the current grandstand. Even as a typical racing "hater," I have to admit they both look pretty good. But now this?

The New Yankee Stadium, while functionally superior to the old one for our era, at least tried to preserve the aesthetic that made it Yankee Stadium. Even the current Belmont took features and embellishments from the original grandstand to preserve (I think those out lines of horses in the metal work around the paddock rails appeared in the original place).

Finally, is the iconic Japanese pine in the paddock just getting chopped down?!

Last edited by Snow Chief; 03-05-2024 at 09:07 AM.
Snow Chief is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2024, 09:13 AM   #2
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Chief View Post
https://www.drf.com/news/plans-new-b...-park-released

Finally, is the iconic Japanese pine in the paddock just getting chopped down?!
Pat McKenna of NYRA tweeted out "The White Pine will be outside of the paddock at the new facility, but will be protected in its current location."
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2024, 09:52 AM   #3
dilanesp

I don't see why new buildings have to look like the old ones. They never did in the past. When Christopher Wren built St. Paul's Cathedral to replace the old burnt down building, he didn't build a replica-- he built a brand new palatial, modern building.

These drawings look a lot like European racetracks, which for the most part look very modern and don't try and look like the old facilities they replaced.

NYRA is trying to build something that will be nice and luxurious and full of amenities in the hope of attracting people back to the track. Good for them.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2024, 10:14 AM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

If you want to draw people to the track, there is a good model already.

25 cent hot dogs and 50 cent beers.

Old 03-05-2024, 10:21 AM   #5
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
If you want to draw people to the track, there is a good model already.

25 cent hot dogs and 50 cent beers.

My wife and I never went to a track for those items you mentioned. First of all, my wife's a vegetarian and I'm glute free. Beer does have gluten in it, if you didn't know.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2024, 10:53 AM   #6
Snow Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I don't see why new buildings have to look like the old ones. They never did in the past. When Christopher Wren built St. Paul's Cathedral to replace the old burnt down building, he didn't build a replica-- he built a brand new palatial, modern building.

These drawings look a lot like European racetracks, which for the most part look very modern and don't try and look like the old facilities they replaced.

NYRA is trying to build something that will be nice and luxurious and full of amenities in the hope of attracting people back to the track. Good for them.
If Christopher Wren were picked as the architect for this project, I would also give him a wide berth.
Snow Chief is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2024, 11:10 AM   #7
djm1959

I P A beer 50c?? I'm moving there
djm1959 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2024, 11:18 AM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Looks great to me.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2024, 12:36 PM   #9
racenomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post

I agree. This is the way new racetracks are being built. Even tracks like Lone Star and Sam Houston were more built like this than tracks built 25 years before them. I’m glad that they have indoor viewing space for the winter. If I had to nitpick I would have added more brick, but I think it looks nice.
Old 03-05-2024, 02:19 PM   #10
classhandicapper

I'm not sure I love the roof design but I know less than nothing about architecture. Overall it looks very modern and nice.

It appears the grounds will also be very nice. That's important to me as a fan. When I'm at Belmont and the weather is perfect, I like to sit outside, relax, drift away into horse heaven and forget all my problems. The old Belmont was perfect for that.

I can't wait to see the inside and other amenities also.

It was time for the old building to be replaced and "right sized" for the racing environment today. This should also save a LOT money on maintenance. I wish NYRA the best of luck. I hope it helps brings a few extra fans out to the track.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-05-2024 at 02:20 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2024, 03:07 PM   #11
Sheffwed

Looks good

Looks very good in fact, kudos to NYRA for getting this right

But what is with the infield?

All this emphasis out of NYRA on the "tunnel" but is that in the drawings/plans still? Not that that matters to me (or anyone)

I hope they leave room for on course bookmakers, once that's legal again also

(I kid not! A reason to bring people out to the track to get "fixed odds" only in person)

I'll bet few of you know that Frank Lloyd Wright almost designed the current Belmont, which would have looked just a bit different

https://yalebooks.yale.edu/2020/12/0...we-didnt-know/

I like the new design as it will stand out much as the current Classic Belmont grandstand does from miles away

Long Island deserves something aesthetically pleasing
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2024, 03:28 PM   #12
denniswilliams

They can do whatever they want but people are not going back to the track. Too much road traffic, among other things. Going to the track is a past era thing. Maybe they get a large crowd for the Belmont but doubtful it will approach the size of Belmont days of the past or even typical weekend days of the '60's or '70's. Only reason I can think of that any WINNING gambler would rather bet at the track rather than online.
denniswilliams is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2024, 03:32 PM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Looks great to me.
A new look means butts in the seats

After our remodel 5+ years ago our sales went up 30% for about 5 months just to see the new digs. It can be a boon to a small business.

On a scale of such notoriety as Belmont (a damn historical monument) This should be a huge hit when it opens.

The secret will be the treatment received (custm service wise) etc in the first 6 months of re-opening. A real management challenge. Hopefully the economy will be turning around by then to help along the attendance.

Let’s hope the fanfare is up to snuff.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:37 PM   #14
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
A new look means butts in the seats

After our remodel 5+ years ago our sales went up 30% for about 5 months just to see the new digs. It can be a boon to a small business.

On a scale of such notoriety as Belmont (a damn historical monument) This should be a huge hit when it opens.

The secret will be the treatment received (custm service wise) etc in the first 6 months of re-opening. A real management challenge. Hopefully the economy will be turning around by then to help along the attendance.

Let’s hope the fanfare is up to snuff.
Very wise post. It won't change the history of horse racing, but you're talking about a new "event" venue in an area with 15 million people nearby. You can make it a place to go. I know this sort of contradicts a lot of what I've written, but Ralph is correct. You have to have amazing customer service, cater to the people who want to spend (gambling or otherwise). It is a longshot but if you're starting over it's one you have to take. What is there to lose?

Just wanted to add that the design looks great, nice work with a classic yet modern theme.

Last edited by castaway01; 03-05-2024 at 04:40 PM.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2024, 06:42 PM   #15
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswilliams View Post
They can do whatever they want but people are not going back to the track. Too much road traffic, among other things. Going to the track is a past era thing. Maybe they get a large crowd for the Belmont but doubtful it will approach the size of Belmont days of the past or even typical weekend days of the '60's or '70's. Only reason I can think of that any WINNING gambler would rather bet at the track rather than online.
One thing that leaves an impression about Saratoga are some of the women around that paddock area. (10s) As for a day at the track I'd prefer Woodbine and to buy a seat at the tables. It's a good comfortable way to spend a day in the racing atmosphere, you have your own monitor in air conditioned comfort especially if you like to handicap in-between races. I don't know that I'll be back to Saratoga unless I get into owning horses someday. The quality of the racing is great of course and the historical significance of the track is something that I can appreciate but to roll in for a day trip and grab a program, no.

Last edited by MJC922; 03-05-2024 at 06:46 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply