Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-10-2022, 09:19 AM   #31
classhandicapper

Back in February we were discussing Baffert's prospects for the Derby and I said he may not have even unveiled his best horse 3yo yet. This horse didn't debut until March 5th. It's hard to believe you can debut a horse on March 5th, win the SA Derby, and have one of the favorites for the KY.

I wasn't much of a fan of either of the 2 favorites and wanted to bet against both, but I couldn't make this play.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 04-10-2022 at 09:21 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2022, 10:27 AM   #32
f2tornado

Hard to knock a Raise A Native winner with a fast final 3/8 in a big prep. There is a lingering question on the quality of the California contingent this year in addition to what kind of foundation this colt has. Gonna be hard to look past that impressive final panel clock, however. The Equibase figure was about the same as Rock Your World last year, for whatever that's worth. Taiba certainly can improve from that. Mike Smith knows his way around CD in early May.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2022, 10:39 AM   #33
Musket Man

Impressive, I'm with F2 on this. Haven't come close to getting to the bottom of this colt. RAN a plus and I have him coming home final 3/8 very fast.

Fits the running style as far as formula to winning the Roses. I'd much rather have this colt than Mo Donegal and Zandon navigating through traffic and such.

See how he comes out of the race and how he looks on the track leading into Derby week.
Musket Man is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2022, 11:02 AM   #34
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Back in February we were discussing Baffert's prospects for the Derby and I said he may not have even unveiled his best horse 3yo yet. This horse didn't debut until March 5th. It's hard to believe you can debut a horse on March 5th, win the SA Derby, and have one of the favorites for the KY.

I wasn't much of a fan of either of the 2 favorites and wanted to bet against both, but I couldn't make this play.
yea. I wrongly assumed that Messier was going to be helped by trip tactics from the other two Baffert runners. That was the tiebreaker for me.

Messier had that one big fig, and it got hype and got people talking about 'juicing'. I'm fairly sure the figs were well-done and I do not contend them, but it looked to me like he pretty much ran his race that day.

The whole 'juice' stuff is so crazy that it's better to ignore the conversation. The common talk is absurd and badly misinformed. The truth isn't appropriate even for a message board. If I talk to an inner group that wants my input (none do), I could share some things for the sake of their own insight/entertainment, but it's a dark picture and it's not a lone wolf scenario.

Back to Messier, he was not a horse who has ever tickled my ever fading and desensitized fancy (or my radar on unusually heavy PED use).

Baffert has actually toned things down quite a bit in about the last year, year-and-a-half. There's maybe been a female racehorse or two, in a 'darling' billing situation where my peach fuzz tingled, but in spite of holding great stats and probably mostly great analytics, he has toned it down quite a bit and isn't even a top 5 (probably not even top 10 offender, currently).

Was wrong about the tactics, and Taiba was actually ridden more patiently than Messier.

Taiba has flashed some brilliance (on Maiden and in works, I wouldn't call yesterday any brilliance, but the stretch run grew on me a little watching it before bed. I'll have to watch it sober again when I do prep postmortems.). I haven't had a good read on the scope/size of Taiba, but he showed yesterday that with a good trip, distance is not an issue.

Slow Down Andy seems like a notch below the other top contenders, so this makes Taiba the top West Coast Contender.

I wish I had known they were fine with Messier losing an easy setup yesterday. Terrible for me in terms of passing a race (and multis) completely in spite of having decent partial understanding and ability to toss Forbidden Kingdom.
4/1 or whatever he paid was also a terrible price. I suppose it was fine with perfect information of the intent. But in the idea of "Taiba will make first run and finish off Forbidden Kingdom, and then Messier will probably win easily, but Taiba will be win otherwise" 4/1 sucked. The field sucked with 3 bafferts.

Some players probably actually bet on whoever they thought would 'win'. Without giving a second thought to tactics. Yesterday was their day, if they realized that Taiba had talent, and that Messier's one big fig was an exaggeration of his true talent. I was burdened by the possibility of tactics.

If Messier was an O'Neill and Forbidden Kingdom a Mandella, and Taiba a Baffert, Taiba would have been 5/2 or less - but at least you decide to bet based upon which horse will best the others.

Too many stakes races, and turf races, and some regular races have trios and duos and/or both from two barns where you have to understand the tactics/intent, and the pace scenario and finishing position has the possibility of being influenced.

I don't want to see Cox have a race won, and then the jock is cruising and chirping, while the second-fittest horse in the race who also happens to be trained by Cox is galloped out past him in the stretch for the Win... I don't want 3 Bafferts in the same major stakes race. Chad Brown is a class act and shouldn't be included in these kind of conversations with supertrainers who win 25% and ITM 55%. It's actually wonderful to see him with three owners participating and bringing up the level of some of these turf races and stakes races, but I'm focused on the Cox's, and Bafferts, and Asmussens, and Pletcher's where the trend is not only handicapping the horses but the intent.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 04-10-2022 at 11:12 AM. Reason: rant
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2022, 01:29 PM   #35
jay68802

Forbidden Kingdom and Classic Causeway out of Derby.

http://www.horseracingnation.com/new..._scenarios_123
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2022, 10:57 PM   #36
1GCFAN

No doubt Taiba is an impressive horse. However, a field of 19 others will present more problems than he has ever faced.
1GCFAN is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2022, 10:24 AM   #37
NikeUnlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GCFAN View Post
No doubt Taiba is an impressive horse. However, a field of 19 others will present more problems than he has ever faced.
No problems to be had if you're on the lead. Looks like a lot of the speed is slowly starting to back out of the derby. We've all seen this story before, Mike Smith sends hard early and doesn't stop. Only hope is a track that favors closers on derby day.
NikeUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2022, 10:34 AM   #38
Andy Asaro

Forbidden Kingdom, Classic Causeway are out of Ky. Derby

“We are going to look under his epiglottis to see if he has an ulcer,” Mandell said Sunday

https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne..._scenarios_123
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply