Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-14-2022, 07:40 AM   #121
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Between Twitter, this site, and people just watching at home no one can even agree on what happened here. Taunting? Random yelling? Watching what he thinks is his competition?

That alone deserves an explanation. We see bad rides on a fairly regular basis and we can see it was a bad ride and basically agree on what happened. In this case we don't have that.

And again, I don't think there was anything nefarious but just tell the truth. If he had the wrong focus fine. If he was annoyed by the jock inside him fine. If his horse wouldn't change leads and he was just trying to figure out how to still win that's fine. If the stewards felt a need to talk to him than the bettors deserve to know what he said. What does keeping his explanation quiet help?
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2022, 08:56 AM   #122
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
I don't think larceny was involved. And would bet money that the stewards performed due diligence in looking at this for any hint of collusion. And that possibly would include not only reviewing the film, but revisiting the claim, interviewing both the jock and losing trainer, checking out the originals (office lingo for entries) for time stamps against the rundown sheet (yes, there IS a reason for this) , and considering some other angles, as well.

Believe me, they did much more than closet themselves away and run the replay 24/7.

Hope all is well, Jason.
Another thing I know they did because it was reported is check to see if there was any unusual betting patterns through the tote system reports. They found nothing.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:05 AM   #123
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Another thing I know they did because it was reported is check to see if there was any unusual betting patterns through the tote system reports. They found nothing.
I don't know anyone who's been around racing on a regular and long term basis who thinks it was cheating.

Linda Rice Already said he screwed up and that's the truth. I still think he was taunting the Jockey inside of him.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:23 AM   #124
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
I don't know anyone who's been around racing on a regular and long term basis who thinks it was cheating.

Linda Rice Already said he screwed up and that's the truth. I still think he was taunting the Jockey inside of him.
It's like the gift that keeps on giving.

Read what you just wrote...then ask yourself...why am I still talking about this?
Old 03-14-2022, 09:24 AM   #125
westernmassbob

Quote:

I agree with the taunting part. Funny thing is since that race has drawn so much attention dude looks straight ahead down the stretch stiff as a board so that’s that. I laughed when he won on Mo Dancin this past Friday. Never turned his head once as he closed and blew that field away. Guess he won’t be making that mistake again. LOL
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2022, 09:26 AM   #126
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Sorry, you and your crew have had the wrong take from the jump
Except I wasn't the one thinking the race was fixed...or that he was "showboating"...or that it was all that insane a ride to begin with...those were all the things YOU and YOUR CREW were thinking and saying.

So who really had the "wrong take" from the start?
Old 03-14-2022, 09:27 AM   #127
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
It's like the gift that keeps on giving.

Read what you just wrote...then ask yourself...why am I still talking about this?
Read what you've posted the last 2 days and ask yourself....why do I still need to bash people with a different and legit point of view? You seem offended by Deans article. I'll take Deans opinion any day of the week
Old 03-14-2022, 09:28 AM   #128
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Read what you've posted the last 2 days and ask yourself....why do I still need to bash people with a different and legit point of view? You seem offended by Deans article. I'll take Deans opinion any day of the week
I'm not offended...he does it for the clicks...I totally get it.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:29 AM   #129
Andy Asaro

Quote:
You don't know much about him then. That's pretty obvious
Old 03-14-2022, 09:41 AM   #130
DeanT

Quote:
LOL! Clicks, for the monetization, of zero?

Hi Pace,

This business, since about the beginning of time, has been insular, secretive, and non-transparent to the people who bet hundreds of billions of dollars a decade. In the social media world, this - for any sport - is not the proper way to run a business.

Jussie Smollett gets charged and sentenced before a Baffert positive test can get adjudicated. When something happens on track - where hundreds of thousands or even millions are bet - the bettors are usually met with silence.

Let's not pretend this is difficult. In Hong Kong, for example, if a horse is ridden "weirdly" there is a hearing with notes detailing both sides and a decision publicly. The stewards hearing can be accessed live.

The point of this is - they have to do better.

Add this to a press release : "not only have we done our due diligence and found nothing untoward in the betting and are satisfied, we spoke to the rider and trainer and the explanation for the ride was as follows:"

Instead they add "case closed, so stop bugging us"

It's tone deaf, it's bad, and no one should apologize for them, imo.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2022, 09:47 AM   #131
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Do the excuse(s) for the ride need to come directly from the Stewards?

Trainer Linda Rice relayed Lezcano's comments on the ride, which were published by the DRF.

Linda Rice, who trained Foxtail, said Lezcano told her he should have asked his filly for run at the quarter pole.

“In her two previous races she was running off,” Rice said. “Jose tried to rate her. If he had turned her head loose he felt she would have emptied out. I’m forgiving Jose. He screwed up. He told me he screwed up..."
I didn't see that quote. He's basically saying what most of us have all been saying all along other than not giving an explanation for why he was looking inside and back and missed the horse outside to begin with. At this point, I'm more curious than anything else.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-14-2022 at 09:53 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2022, 09:56 AM   #132
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT View Post
LOL! Clicks, for the monetization, of zero?
I get this too...believe it or not...

It's not all about monetization...you want people to read your work...so the use of CLOWN SHOW is provocative, if not exactly accurate (IMO of course).

This was kind of a weird hill to die on in terms of the things that ill the sport.

Basically, a jock was too preoccupied with one direction and swiveled his head a few too many times, and all hell breaks loose and a federal case is made.

I think the real clown show was how this all blew up...the classic mountain out of a molehill.

But I will concede that since they bothered to investigate this race in the first place, they could have added the explanations they received from the jockey and trainer.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:06 AM   #133
DeanT

Quote:

But I will concede that since they bothered to investigate this race in the first place, they could have added the explanations they received from the jockey and trainer.
I would not have written the post if that was done.

"Clown show" was probably too tough, I admit, yes. This was more a culmination of a few things lately that have annoyed me so it spilled over!

This damn business. Morning line makers don't want to make a horse 30-1 on the ML because it might offend an owner, but when it comes to customers it seems we're fair game.

I hope Jennifer Durenberger doesn't unfollow me for it, though lol. She's nice and smart and tolerates my rants

Last edited by cj; 03-14-2022 at 10:23 AM.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2022, 10:10 AM   #134
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
This damn business. Morning line makers don't want to make a horse 30-1 on the ML because it might offend an owner, but when it comes to customers it seems we're fair game.
I've never understood this one...one of the many "quaint" traditions this sport refuses to give up...
Old 03-14-2022, 10:29 AM   #135
mountainman

Quote:
I would not have written the post if that was done.

"Clown show" was probably too tough, I admit, yes. This was more a culmination of a few things lately that have annoyed me so it spilled over!

I hope Jennifer Durenberger doesn't unfollow me for it, though lol. She's nice and smart and tolerates my rants
These days I don't hesitate at all in pegging horses at 30-1. (And..gasp..occasionaly 50-1) It frees up ponts to set more approprIately low odds on the chalk.

Last edited by mountainman; 03-14-2022 at 10:31 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply