Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 03-15-2017, 10:13 PM   #16
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Which post numbers did the computer "dialogue" begin...? I'd like to evaluate the sequence just for fun...
#28213 to 28234.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:42 AM   #17
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
#28213 to 28234.
Interesting dialogue....I remember following along and thought your (Roger)words somewhat OFF or ODD....I had never heard you speak in this manner and was somewhat confused....your syntax and pronoun choice had errors in it and....if addressed to me I would have asked for a clarification that made sense to me, the next reply would have demonstrated that you(Roger) was not a sincere actor (no pun intended) BUT I would not have thought that I was talking to a computer, just a jerk....

...what worried me was the whole knife part of the dialogue, since it is so uncharacteristic of Actor to be violent, or threatening....I really didn't know what to think at that point... AND I stopped reading the thread at that point being somewhat disgusted with how you TWO were behaving to each other.....too bad you didn't carry on the experiment further as it seemed Boxcar was a tad flustered by the psuedo- threat of the cutlery invoked.....how and why did "knife" enter into Rogers brain....?

A penchant for violence on the part of humans engaging with computers unknowing has enormous implications especially if the computers are programmed to respond in kind....a kind of escalation rhetorical violence might reverberate into feedback loop of verbal brutality...a kind of verbal game of chicken with possible highly negative outcomes....probably best that you ending the experiment when you did...
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2017, 02:22 AM   #18
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
...what worried me was the whole knife part of the dialogue, since it is so uncharacteristic of Actor to be violent, or threatening....I really didn't know what to think at that point... AND I stopped reading the thread at that point being somewhat disgusted with how you TWO were behaving to each other.....too bad you didn't carry on the experiment further as it seemed Boxcar was a tad flustered by the psuedo- threat of the cutlery invoked.....how and why did "knife" enter into Rogers brain....?
Roger responds only to the most recent input. In #28227 boxcar asked "Is your knife drawn?" Scanning that sentence the very first word "Is" is a keyword. One of several responses to the keyword "is" is the phrase "Why are you interested in". Roger selects that response at random and adds the rest of the sentence, "your knife drawn", changing the pronoun "your" to "my". Thus the response to "Is your knife drawn?" becomes "Why are you interested in my knife drawn." and the word "knife has entered the dialog.

Roger has no brain, no thought process. It's a text manipulator pure and simple. They only words in the entire sentence which mean anything to Roger are "is" and "your". "is" because it's a keyword and "your" because it gets changed to "my". The word "knife" has absolutely no meaning to the program.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:38 PM   #19
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

What does the Roger experiment reveal about human beings that is significant...as far as I am aware Boxcar is a human and HIS responses to Roger, I assume, would be quite common...for most humans....?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply