Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-15-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
FenceBored

BC releases report on Mongolian Groom

Skimming the report, it's an interesting read.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ongolian-groom

Quote:
On the postmortem exam of Mongolian Groom it was confirmed that there were indeed lesions in both hind distal cannon bones explaining why it was hard to isolate one lame limb on the six in-barn exams; his problem involved both hind limbs and was symmetrical.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2020, 06:47 PM   #2
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceBored View Post
Skimming the report, it's an interesting read.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ongolian-groom

Black eye for racing (especially Santa Anita racing) at a time we didn't need another.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
classhandicapper

Wow, that's the first time I ever heard anyone say they couldn't see a problemed leg because the other was equally problemed.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:05 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The transparency is good.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2020, 10:32 AM   #5
ClockersCorner

Read the Bloodhorse article and the LA Times article this morning. I didn't see it as a black eye for Santa Anita.

A group of experts did everything possible given the current state of experience and technology and there was still a fatality in a prominent race. Not watching tape of the horse jogging that was available to the public seems like a mistake.

I suppose if the expectation of the average California voter is that no horse should ever die from racing then it can be seen as a damaging report.

I would summarize it as the industry saying " We did all we could and it was almost enough. We have a few more ideas to make the process a little better in the future."
ClockersCorner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2020, 11:49 AM   #6
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Wow, that's the first time I ever heard anyone say they couldn't see a problemed leg because the other was equally problemed.

IIRC about 30 years ago a lineman for the Bears made a remark about not having a limp because he'd had the same number of knee surgeries (5) on both knees.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2020, 06:46 PM   #7
clicknow

I think there are just things we don't know and can't know, and even imaging doesn't tell whole story. Personally, I think there is nothing at all that SA did wrong here, nor the trainer.

This is why some trainers employ chiropractors, to pick up on physiolgoic imbalances.

I started to have heel pain (mid to back heel, so it was NOT plantar fascitis). And heels would get inflammed and "hot" to touch. I went to 3 podiatrists.
Without listening well, they started off with the PF, til I pointed to the area that was troublesome and then they agreed with me. Xrays reavled heel spurs. But heel spurs don't bother everyone, and you could have them and never know it: so I asked each doctor "how long do these look like they've been there???" And they all admitted "a long long time".

TO this day, after all the diagnostics and 3 doctors, nobody told me what it is just suggested expensive laser treatments......so I diagnosed myself....heel bursitis.......I saw it as an inflammatory response because I was able to see it on a daily basis and it comes and goes..........and with self-care, it eventually went away (slowly!) and I was able to resume my 2-3 mile daily walking program.

THEY had me on the "surgical removal of bone spurs" path....which it turns out would have been useless.

In other words, seeing stuff on a scan or xray doesn't mean that is WHERE the problem is coming from. It could be an inflammatory response unrelated to stuff you see on a picture and/or something that causes an imbalance somewhere, esp if combined with pre-existing conditions like arthritis and heel spurs.

Last edited by clicknow; 01-16-2020 at 06:50 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2020, 07:18 PM   #8
46zilzal
velocitician

Boney traction spurs on the origin of the plantar fascia are so common as to be almost NON-pathological. In anatomical skeletal preparations, one can find them at multiple sites of ligamentous connections across joints as an incidental finding when you is dissecting a cadaver in Freshman anatomy lab.

I have them surrounding several lumbar vertebrae, in my shoulders and around my knees but NONE specifically are a source of pain (no "point tenderness")

For example they represent old, and repeated inflammation in the connective tissue that makes up the plantar fascia and all they tell the physician, is that some time in the past, an ongoing inflammation (with secondary calcification) has occurred there. Removal of them in response to a diagnosis of plantar fasciitis would be akin to removing a lung for pneumonia. Radical and in the long term, not curative.

Traction spurs can occur at many places and usually have similar etiologies.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20370212

This report's non-specific use of the term "lesion" could be most anything but I interpreted it as "stress fracture:" an internal break that has not gone through to the periosteum (a surface covering the boney surface where most of the vascularization to the bone originates)...

Early on (much like a small crack in a windshield) these are almost asymptomatic, and they can only be found on standard X-ray when they begin to heal and show a more dense surface above them (bone callus)..usually 2 to 3 weeks post trauma. They may, or may not be symptomatic enough to be painful as often when I asked patients to explain to me what level of discomfort the had on a 1 to 10 scale, they would usually respond on the lower end of that scale.

I treated a member of the Vancouver professional soccer team (the White Caps), advised him to rest until it healed, but he went ahead and played in the final championship game and it fractured full thickness.

To adequately diagnose them you have to resort to Computerized Axial Tomography (a tomogram looks through tissue in progressive thin layers of the tissues so it can visualize a lesion that has not reached the surface of the bone), scintography which uses radioactive uptake at areas of higher molecular activity (such as occurs in early bone healing). The most common radiopharmaceutical for bone scintigraphy is 99mTc with methylene diphosphonate (MDP). MDP adsorbs onto the crystalline hydroxyapatite mineral of bone.

Finally an MRI that not only allows thin anatomical sections to be accessed progressively through the full thickness of the bone, BUT also differentiates tissue types, i.e. cartilage, new bone callus, connective tissue, blood vessels etc. Most specific but most expensive as well....
Old 01-16-2020, 07:21 PM   #9
46zilzal
velocitician

sounds like you had Haglund's deformity if it was retro calcaneal.

https://www.healthline.com/health/haglund-deformity
Old 01-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #10
Blenheim
Race Player

Conflicting information . . .

What Dr. Bramlage wrote in the Breeders’ Cup 2019 - Mongolian Groom Evaluation appears to be at odds with what he wrote in his article, Response of Bone Necessitated by High-Speed Exercise.

Here is what Dr. Bramlage wrote in the Breeders’ Cup 2019 – Mongolian Groom Evaluation
What about recent exercise history?
The work done in California by Dr. Sue Stover’s University of California at Davis laboratory shows that horses that have fatal musclo-skeletal injuries have raced and trained more recent high-speed furlongs than a control group of horses. But attempts to assess the high-speed furlongs as a predictor of injury show they do not prove to be accurate predictors. Dr. Scott Palmer of the New York Racing Association has been studying the recent high-speed furlongs and career high speed furlongs as a measure of skeletal wear and tear and a predictor of increased risk, with some promise. But analysis of Mongolian Groom’s career and recent high-speed furlongs shows he had 11 races and 17 recorded works during 2019 which put him right in the middle of the number of high speed furlongs for the group, when compared to the other horses in the Classic race at the 20019 Championships.

It would be nice if there were a “red line” of the number of high-speed furlongs per unit time that could not be crossed without risk of injury, so we could predict when danger looms. This concept is used with airplanes, but they are made of inert materials like aluminum or steel which have a well-documented safe limit for cyclic loads. Horses are biologic beings and they are repairing issues while they are being created and the individual variation in response is so great that, at this point, we cannot accurately predict when danger looms.
Here is what Dr. Bramlage wrote in his article: Response of Bone Necessitated by High-Speed Exercise https://aaep.org/sites/default/files...ngBramlage.pdf
Epidemiologic data shows “a horse that had accumulated a total of 35 furlongs of race and timed-work distance in 2 months, compared with a horse with 25 furlongs accumulated, had an estimated 3.9-fold increase in risk for racing related fatal skeletal injury (95% confidence interval 2.1, 7.1).”19 Mindlessly ignoring the ability of the horse’s bone to respond to the amount of exercise it is performing will eventually result in damage accumulation and injury.10,22
~
Interesting comparing the second paragraph in the evaluation to the paragraph in the article. Did the well-known and good Doctor forget what he wrote just a few years ago?

Last edited by Blenheim; 01-16-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2020, 12:33 AM   #11
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
Boney traction spurs on the origin of the plantar fascia are so common as to be almost NON-pathological.
Learned more from you (and my own reading) than from 3 podiatrists.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2020, 01:33 AM   #12
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Learned more from you (and my own reading) than from 3 podiatrists.
When I was in school, I had a wonderful clinical professor who told me straight out: "You treat two things in patients: the pathology and, MORE IMPORTANTLY, the patient's reaction to that. If you don't teach as much as you treat, you will be doing them all a disservice."

The busiest thing in my office was my Xerox machine in copying the clinical summaries from Harrison's Principle of Internal Medicine which I would hand out to those patients who wanted to know more about what was going on with them. They left my office (I hoped) a bit more educated about their health than when they arrived.

I used to attend newly diagnosed diabetic lectures and gave the attendees information of practical tips I had gleaned over the years. VERY enjoyable too.