Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #16
showonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Totally understand that, I just would have gotten away from SoCal a while ago given the state of racing there. That was even before the Santa Anita situation.

Subsidies offer two schools of thought. One side claims to synthesize an environment create many societal quandaries. The other opinion is that subsidies can offer sustenance in volatile circumstances. Some of the gambling business has convinced our legislators that new gambling should support the gambling it takes detracts from. The differing opinions on this subject argue with fervor. I think it is situational and to be all-in on either side is fundamentally incorrect. Back to California racing. Is it being victimized by other venues that receive the Horse race welfare?
showonly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2019, 09:51 PM   #17
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
What BS? Stricter drug rules? That would be the reason. What "other" BS is there?
forced Imperial Hint to scratch from the BC, stopped running down the hill to name a few

Last edited by Afleet; 11-23-2019 at 09:53 PM.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2019, 10:35 PM   #18
horsefan2019

Quote:
What BS? Stricter drug rules? That would be the reason. What "other" BS is there?
Animal rights activists are demanding the DA investigate trainers whose horses have died racing. Media is camped out at racetracks looking for their next juicy story.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2019, 11:20 PM   #19
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
forced Imperial Hint to scratch from the BC, stopped running down the hill to name a few
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
Animal rights activists are demanding the DA investigate trainers whose horses have died racing. Media is camped out at racetracks looking for their next juicy story.
The scratch of Imperial Hint is BS? The vet's did not think so, sort of got to trust them on this. They may have missed one that we all know about. What happens if they let IH run and she breaks down? What a shat storm racing would be dealing with if both horses died.
I will give you "stopped running down the hill" is as close as you can get to BS. I do not like it myself.
Love to see an investigation on the deaths. Although I doubt the public will be able to view the reports on the deaths.
California has implemented some rules that are very good for racing. The connections seem to be having a hard time filling the races and meeting those rule changes. See a lot of horses shipping to other places. Got to figure that the reason they are leaving is because of the changes. A shame for sure, abandoning the tracks that they made a living at for years because they "need" the drugs to run. California owners and trainers should get on the bandwagon and fill the cards, instead of running away when the going gets a little tough.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2019, 05:54 PM   #20
dilanesp

Hey, you guys should feel lucky when you even get any "product":

https://www.dmtc.com/media/news/del-...er-racing-1544
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2019, 05:58 PM   #21
Afleet

Quote:
The scratch of Imperial Hint is BS? The vet's did not think so, sort of got to trust them on this. They may have missed one that we all know about. What happens if they let IH run and she breaks down? What a shat storm racing would be dealing with if both horses died.
I will give you "stopped running down the hill" is as close as you can get to BS. I do not like it myself.
Love to see an investigation on the deaths. Although I doubt the public will be able to view the reports on the deaths.
California has implemented some rules that are very good for racing. The connections seem to be having a hard time filling the races and meeting those rule changes. See a lot of horses shipping to other places. Got to figure that the reason they are leaving is because of the changes. A shame for sure, abandoning the tracks that they made a living at for years because they "need" the drugs to run. California owners and trainers should get on the bandwagon and fill the cards, instead of running away when the going gets a little tough.
why would the trainer risk running a money making machine like Imperial Hint? The trainer was adamant he was sound-that's what I was referring to. I believe the trainer, who sees the horse everyday for years, more than a one time inspection from a vet who isn't familiar with the horse. This is different than running unsound horses trying to get them claimed by unscrupulous trainers.

Not disagreeing with you about things need to change
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2019, 11:50 PM   #22
Zman179
Registered Wacko

When a circuit is being forced to cancel racing because of a rain forecast, one has to think about moving their horses out of state.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2019, 02:23 AM   #23
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
why would the trainer risk running a money making machine like Imperial Hint? The trainer was adamant he was sound-that's what I was referring to. I believe the trainer, who sees the horse everyday for years, more than a one time inspection from a vet who isn't familiar with the horse. This is different than running unsound horses trying to get them claimed by unscrupulous trainers.

Not disagreeing with you about things need to change
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
When a circuit is being forced to cancel racing because of a rain forecast, one has to think about moving their horses out of state.
Understand what you are saying about IH. The vet's had a set of rules to follow and did just that. Right now caution is the best avenue.

Canceling racing for a safety issue means the connections should move? How about the connections should be happy and supportive of the cancellation because their horses are still alive.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #24
theiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
National Weather Forecast Warning

FLASH FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING... THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH CONTINUES FOR * A PORTION OF SOUTHWEST CALIFORNIA...INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING... ORANGE COUNTY ...COASTAL AREAS...ORANGE COUNTY INLAND AREAS... SAN BERNARDINO AND RIVERSIDE COUNTY VALLEYS-THE INLAND EMPIRE...SAN DIEGO COUNTY COASTAL AREAS...SAN DIEGO COUNTY VALLEYS AND SANTA ANA MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS. * FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING * ONE TO TWO INCHES OF RAIN IS FORECAST WITH LOCALIZED AMOUNTS TO THREE INCHES POSSIBLE NEAR THE COASTAL FOOTHILLS. RAINFALL RATES IN EXCESS OF ONE-HALF INCH PER HOUR ARE POSSIBLE IN STRONGER SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS, WHICH COULD RESULT IN FLASH FLOODING. * LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL COULD PRODUCE FLASH FLOODING, WITH THE GREATEST THREAT IN STEEP TERRAIN, ESPECIALLY IN AND BELOW RECENTLY BURNED AREAS. FLOODING OF POORLY DRAINED AND URBAN AREAS WILL ALSO OCCUR, PRESENTING A HAZARD FOR MOTORISTS. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A FLASH FLOOD WATCH MEANS THAT CONDITIONS MAY DEVELOP THAT LEAD TO FLASH FLOODING. FLASH FLOODING IS A VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION.

This isnt a rainy day forecast, but a bit more, actually, a lot more. I have seen races cancelled at NY area tracks for storms too.
theiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #25
clicknow

Let's face it, we have all seen some pretty harrowing big stakes races that weren't called, where one is keeping one eye closed, and in wincing mode, while watching, worried about how the horses are going to make it over a deeply muddy sloppy messy track.

I don't like those races and have no problem having them cancelled. Esp. if there are thunderbangers going on at any point near post time.

Life goes on. No race needs to be so important to any track that jockeys and horses must race in unsafe conditions. Patrons will just have to sigh and find something else to love about their day.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #26
airford1

Face it Showboy you hooked your trailer to the worst product in racing. Socals barns are empty and they will cancel at a drop of a hat thinking they will fill a card later. California is done . Put a Fork in it. Looking back at racing in California it was only successful when it was the only game in town.

It was Grand in the 70's thru 90's and Lotto with Indian Gaming took over the State.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #27
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiman View Post
National Weather Forecast Warning

FLASH FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING... THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH CONTINUES FOR * A PORTION OF SOUTHWEST CALIFORNIA...INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING... ORANGE COUNTY ...COASTAL AREAS...ORANGE COUNTY INLAND AREAS... SAN BERNARDINO AND RIVERSIDE COUNTY VALLEYS-THE INLAND EMPIRE...SAN DIEGO COUNTY COASTAL AREAS...SAN DIEGO COUNTY VALLEYS AND SANTA ANA MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS. * FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING * ONE TO TWO INCHES OF RAIN IS FORECAST WITH LOCALIZED AMOUNTS TO THREE INCHES POSSIBLE NEAR THE COASTAL FOOTHILLS. RAINFALL RATES IN EXCESS OF ONE-HALF INCH PER HOUR ARE POSSIBLE IN STRONGER SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS, WHICH COULD RESULT IN FLASH FLOODING. * LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL COULD PRODUCE FLASH FLOODING, WITH THE GREATEST THREAT IN STEEP TERRAIN, ESPECIALLY IN AND BELOW RECENTLY BURNED AREAS. FLOODING OF POORLY DRAINED AND URBAN AREAS WILL ALSO OCCUR, PRESENTING A HAZARD FOR MOTORISTS. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A FLASH FLOOD WATCH MEANS THAT CONDITIONS MAY DEVELOP THAT LEAD TO FLASH FLOODING. FLASH FLOODING IS A VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION.

This isnt a rainy day forecast, but a bit more, actually, a lot more. I have seen races cancelled at NY area tracks for storms too.

You do realize how crazy freaking out over 1-2 inches of rain over 2 days sounds to people in most parts of the country. It's not like Del Mar is on steep terrain ready to be swept out to sea.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2019, 12:14 PM   #28
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceBored View Post
You do realize how crazy freaking out over 1-2 inches of rain over 2 days sounds to people in most parts of the country. It's not like Del Mar is on steep terrain ready to be swept out to sea.
No, its just in a FEMA flood zone, no big deal.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2019, 12:25 PM   #29
GMB@BP

I do find it a bit short sighted to see more than a few east coast people in the industry (or horse players) taking some much glee in the struggles, not only past but especially present, in California.

I would compare it to say college football issues that are plaguing the Pac-12. Sagging TV ratings, empty stadiums, stale product for their customer. The fans of other conferences have fun with the quips but they don’t understand the issues just are hitting that market first, they are next, unless the issues are corrected. You see Alabama and Notre Dame not selling games out this year, a sure sign issues are coming.

The issues plaguing California are not isolated, not in the least.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #30
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
No, its just in a FEMA flood zone, no big deal.

A 100 year floodplain. Now you want us to buy that 2 inches of rain in two days constitutes a 100 year rain event.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply