Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #511
lex

He addresses all the bad actors in this sport but I feel like we're just saying the same things over and over. This isn't news to anyone, but it never gets addressed.

People dropping hurt horses for a tag to get rid of them is outrageous but I have no idea how you stop it. Harness racing doesn't even have a big injury problem but I stood behind an owner at Saratoga Harness one night while he talked about putting his hurting horse in a claimer to get rid of the problem. Not sure why I was caught off guard by it. I guess because he was talking about it openly.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #512
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
He addresses all the bad actors in this sport but I feel like we're just saying the same things over and over. This isn't news to anyone, but it never gets addressed.

People dropping hurt horses for a tag to get rid of them is outrageous but I have no idea how you stop it. Harness racing doesn't even have a big injury problem but I stood behind an owner at Saratoga Harness one night while he talked about putting his hurting horse in a claimer to get rid of the problem. Not sure why I was caught off guard by it. I guess because he was talking about it openly.
This is what I meant by “Deaf Ears”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
I could go on and on with these type of comparisons. However, I feel that while it might be of interest to others here on PA who have raised many legitimate concerns about the game, the majority of our positive suggestions are just falling on deaf ears. Too bad because the PETA organization literally wouldn't have a leg to stand on and could be put down for the same reasons as an injured animal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Actually Nitro, I do not spend a lot of time on the HK website.
I actually compiled that list I made in my other post DIRECTLY from the very good and thoughtful suggestions that members here contributed to this topic.

I just kept track of them, then added 1 or 2 of my own.
So I don't think legitimate concerns about the game are falling on deaf ears. There are plenty of people who see what needs to be done. And of course, those who are not going to enter the topic at all, but feel the same way, but don't like confrontation.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #513
dilanesp

The Louisville Courier-Journal just ripped Mongolian Groom's connections to shreds:

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...un/4190743002/
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2019, 01:06 PM   #514
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The Louisville Courier-Journal just ripped Mongolian Groom's connections to shreds:

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...un/4190743002/
I couldn't read much around the ad-blocker popup.

Did they offer anything new?

Did they offer anything on record from any of the veterinarians mentioned in the title, from before the race?
Old 11-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #515
groupie doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
I couldn't read much around the ad-blocker popup.

Did they offer anything new?

Did they offer anything on record from any of the veterinarians mentioned in the title, from before the race?
Nothing from the vets on site looking at the horse before the race, but:

Quote:
“What I saw was a very short (excerpt) and the horse was clearly demonstrating a gait abnormality,” said Dr. Mary Scollay, former equine medical director for the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission (KHRC). “And so it raises questions and I don’t know to what extent those questions were asked or answered.
Quote:
“I wasn't there and I wasn't asked to evaluate him,” Allday told Byk. “Obviously he wasn't a patient or client of mine. But from what I see, that horse is visibly deficit in the left hind and unless they knew the severity or the cause of it, the nature, a lame horse really shouldn't race.
... think the Allday quote might be from the At the Races bit last week.
It also mentions Feinstein, PETA, blah blah blah stuff we've heard ad nauseum.

Does the courier-journal usually take such wording on topics such as this? Their tone almost sounds like that in the LA and NY Times pieces:
Quote:
Eager to exploit his star’s earnings potential, owner Ganbaatar Dagvadorj invested $200,000 in the supplemental fee to make Mongolian Groom eligible for the $6 million Classic...

Last edited by groupie doll; 11-18-2019 at 01:46 PM.
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2019, 08:28 PM   #516
clicknow

Quote:
People dropping hurt horses for a tag to get rid of them is outrageous but I have no idea how you stop it.
I choose to *expose* it when I see it. Awareness has to happen before anything will or can be done to stop it.

Read my post #478 above.

I also have no problem exposing the really good stuff that happens, too. So we need to get rid of the bad stuff so the good stuff can "shine through".
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2019, 12:30 PM   #517
AndyC

Quote:

It would seem obvious that dropping hurt horses could be curtailed by simply having a more comprehensive pre-race screening.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #518
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
It would seem obvious that dropping hurt horses could be curtailed by simply having a more comprehensive pre-race screening.
Sure, but tracks don't want that as fields are short enough as it is. They turn a blind eye to all but the most obvious cases.

Claiming races need to go. You want to sell your horse, do it privately. If we really care about the horses, playing games with the claiming system is never going to be a good look.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2019, 01:13 PM   #519
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Would it be to much trouble to implement out of competition testing at major tracks in 2020.?
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2019, 01:30 PM   #520
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob60566 View Post
Would it be to much trouble to implement out of competition testing at major tracks in 2020.?
I imagine this would be a logistical nightmare with many horses stabled off track. I'm not saying you can't do it, but who pays for it? We probably already know the answer and won't like it.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #521
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Sure, but tracks don't want that as fields are short enough as it is. They turn a blind eye to all but the most obvious cases.

Claiming races need to go. You want to sell your horse, do it privately. If we really care about the horses, playing games with the claiming system is never going to be a good look.
Private sales only might be a worse proposition don't you think?

Doped up horses and nerve blocks etc would probably become common place ........

As I typed the above I realize they are common place in races.....

never mind
Old 11-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #522
ultracapper

DRF reports today that an industry initiated "safety coalition" has been formed.

If I knew how to use a computer beyond what a typewriter can do, I'd link it. Maybe somebody with a minute can put the article up here.

Hopefully it's not another media targeted effort but an honest effort to get to the heart of the safety problems.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #523
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
DRF reports today that an industry initiated "safety coalition" has been formed.

If I knew how to use a computer beyond what a typewriter can do, I'd link it. Maybe somebody with a minute can put the article up here.

Hopefully it's not another media targeted effort but an honest effort to get to the heart of the safety problems.

Here's the link to the Bloodhorse article on same:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...-new-coalition

---------------------------------------

What, the NTRA Safety and Integrity Alliance couldn't be reformed to do the job you had to create another new structure?

Smacks of the "we've created a new blue ribbon commission to address the issue" mentality.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #524
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob60566 View Post
For what purpose? If horses aren't racing why test them?
Old 11-19-2019, 05:49 PM   #525
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
For what purpose? If horses aren't racing why test them?
I think he just means between races, like they do with athletes that compete in Olympic sports. This is when most doping is being done these days in other sports. Hard to imagine that wouldn't be the same in racing too.