Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-31-2024, 02:31 AM   #1
crestridge
Paladin & Fudge

Hot Dogs

Thirty five years ago I shopped at a place called "Prince Club", would take my children and buy hot dogs for $1.50, and get a soda drink (with refills). Then they were purchased by "Costco" and also sold the same hot dogs/drinks for $1.50. Yet even today, I can go to "Costco" and buy a hot dog for $1.50/get refills, same price as 35 years ago, probably the most amazing, unusual happening, in this crazy country. I'm definitely not complaining!!!
crestridge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2024, 06:21 AM   #2
lamboguy

they sell the same rotisserie chicken for $5.00 as well, great deal.

the main reason i go to Costco is to buy their virgin olive oil, its under their own label called Kirkland. its the best olive oil i have ever had. when i wake up every day i take a swig of it straight. it counters any insulin spikes and helps with inflation as well. my uncle who was a general surgeon turned me on to the olive oil every day over 40 years ago. he told me its better to drink that than to visit the doctor's office.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2024, 07:10 AM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

They lose money on it

https://www.10news.com/news/why-cost...n-so-expensive
Old 03-31-2024, 10:24 AM   #4
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
the main reason i go to Costco is to buy their virgin olive oil, its under their own label called Kirkland. its the best olive oil i have ever had. when i wake up every day i take a swig of it straight. it counters any insulin spikes and helps with inflation as well. my uncle who was a general surgeon turned me on to the olive oil every day over 40 years ago. he told me its better to drink that than to visit the doctor's office.
Looks like your uncle was right.

https://diabetesjournals.org/care/ar...cemic-Response
Old 03-31-2024, 01:46 PM   #5
AndyC

Quote:
they sell the same rotisserie chicken for $5.00 as well, great deal.

Too bad they sell it in a plastic container. The chicken is a "good deal" if you don't mind eating food laced with hormones and antibiotics.
Old 03-31-2024, 02:03 PM   #6
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Too bad they sell it in a plastic container. The chicken is a "good deal" if you don't mind eating food laced with hormones and antibiotics.
they are going to change the plastic container within a month. https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...ns/ar-BB1kPJQy
Old 03-31-2024, 03:14 PM   #7
davew

It is interesting that they make most of their net profit from memberships.

I wonder how much a person needs to buy a year to cover the cost (what is it $60-70?).

Those bags for chickens they are using at some/all? Walmarts now.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2024, 03:47 PM   #8
AndyC

Quote:
they are going to change the plastic container within a month. https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...ns/ar-BB1kPJQy

I was referring to the olive oil. Shouldn't buy it in plastic containers. I wouldn't eat their chicken if it were perfectly packaged and given away free.

BTW, Costco is my favorite store!
Old 03-31-2024, 04:04 PM   #9
lamboguy

Quote:
I was referring to the olive oil. Shouldn't buy it in plastic containers. I wouldn't eat their chicken if it were perfectly packaged and given away free.

i buy the olive oil they have in the long glass bottles.
Old 03-31-2024, 06:12 PM   #10
Dave Schwartz

Quote:

Some years ago (like maybe 20?) in a nationwide test of grocery store meat cutting departments, there was only one chain that passed: Costco. As I recall, they tested 23 stores and EVERY STORE passed with flying colors.

By comparison, NO OTHER CHAIN got could muster an acceptable grade, let alone come close to PERFECT.

Have things changed?
I have no idea.
But I have great confidence in Costco's commitment to following the rules for keeping things sanitary.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2024, 12:29 AM   #11
crestridge
Paladin & Fudge

Yes, I also take a tablespoon of olive oil a day, helps with BP, also. There's also some other combinations of ingredients for health benefits that one can add. A true magic ingredient.
crestridge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2024, 01:26 PM   #12
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Some years ago (like maybe 20?) in a nationwide test of grocery store meat cutting departments, there was only one chain that passed: Costco. As I recall, they tested 23 stores and EVERY STORE passed with flying colors.

By comparison, NO OTHER CHAIN got could muster an acceptable grade, let alone come close to PERFECT.

Have things changed?
I have no idea.
But I have great confidence in Costco's commitment to following the rules for keeping things sanitary.

I am certainly not talking about sanitation. If you like ingesting microplastics with your olive oil then by all means buy the oil sold at Costco in the plastic jugs. If you like chicken filled with antibiotics and hormones you can do that also at Costco.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:32 PM   #13
thaskalos

Quote:
I am certainly not talking about sanitation. If you like ingesting microplastics with your olive oil then by all means buy the oil sold at Costco in the plastic jugs. If you like chicken filled with antibiotics and hormones you can do that also at Costco.
What water do you drink, Andy?
Old 04-01-2024, 01:45 PM   #14
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Good point.
Uh... pick your poison?

Quote:

Difficult to find chicken without anti-biotics, etc.

But wherever you are buying yours, it is highly likely that the "sanitation" (the word you chose) is very substandard.

Probably a difference of opinion but I'll choose the sanitary one.

BTW, there is a new report on those standards but one must pay to get it.

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 04-01-2024 at 01:46 PM.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2024, 01:52 PM   #15
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post

Filtered.