Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 02-08-2021, 08:06 AM   #1
exactatom

Down Goes Bezos

The most hyped 3 year old debut in February in recent years was disappointing when Bezos (who had been 24 to 1 unraced in the last Derby futures pool) finished a prancing 7th yesterday.
TVG (especially Todd Shrupp) made this race sound like the unveiling of next great champion.
Why does the media instill such hype on some horses while other efforts fly under the radar screen?
exactatom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #2
xtb

You got me all excited there, I thought it was Jeff.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 10:33 AM   #3
Hoops McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
You got me all excited there, I thought it was Jeff.
ha!
Hoops McCann is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 01:04 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

FYI, the races at 6.5 furlongs on dirt are being badly mistimed currently (along with some others, but especially those.) Haven't done figures yet but I think that race is going to turn out very fast.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 01:10 PM   #5
jay68802

Thought either the track announcer or a commentator after the race said it was a "slow" pace. When watching it, I really thought all the horses on the front were running. Seemed a fast pace to me. Breeding wise, Bezos was not doing what he was bred for. Withholding judgement until I see him at two turns.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 03:18 PM   #6
Spalding No!

Bezos looked horrendous down the lane (about as bad as Nashville in the Malibu); failed to switch leads and struggled to keep in stride.

He was nearly raady to run in the summer working up to 5 furlongs in July and then didn't work again for nearly 5 months. Not going to be shocked if he goes back on the shelf.

I didn't read any of the pre-race buzz, was he highly touted because of the workout reports or simply because he was a Baffert first time starter in early February?

Certainly his pedigree is nothing to go crazy about, he's out of a non-winning mare, the female family has only some Grade 3 black-type (mostly on turf), and the deceased sire was inconsistent and was actually sold off to Japan fairly early in his career (and unwisely brought back).
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2021, 12:10 PM   #7
46zilzal
velocitician

He's a baby, give him time

Huge difference between the theoretical and the actual: a la The Green MOnkey
Old 02-10-2021, 12:31 PM   #8
classhandicapper

I heard Baffert tried to play down the hype. Supposedly he told someone he liked the horse and somehow that snowballed in "he's the second coming".

Baffert sends out a lot of first time starters very short. Even some of the ones that win jump up a lot 2nd time out. Pace adjusted, he didn't run that poorly. It was a fast pace and a very tough group and he got tired. So did Tivoli Twirl who looked fairly talented going into the race. Not every good horse is going to be a Triple Crown contender. That's not the criteria for being a good horse. My guess is he stretches out, moves up 2nd time out, and turns out to be a nice horse.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:52 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I heard Baffert tried to play down the hype. Supposedly he told someone he liked the horse and somehow that snowballed in "he's the second coming".

Baffert sends out a lot of first time starters very short. Even some of the ones that win jump up a lot 2nd time out. Pace adjusted, he didn't run that poorly. It was a fast pace and a very tough group and he got tired. So did Tivoli Twirl who looked fairly talented going into the race. Not every good horse is going to be a Triple Crown contender. That's not the criteria for being a good horse. My guess is he stretches out, moves up 2nd time out, and turns out to be a nice horse.
In the end, because of the fast pace, he got a 103 TimeformUS Speed Figure, which is good enough to win the vast majority of MSW races anywhere in the country, but especially for 3yo this early. He ran into a monster field and a very tough trip.

I'm far from saying he is some superstar, but he isn't The Green Monkey either. If he can stay healthy, he'll win some races and probably a stakes or two at a minimum IMO.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2021, 03:39 PM   #10
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
In the end, because of the fast pace, he got a 103 TimeformUS Speed Figure, which is good enough to win the vast majority of MSW races anywhere in the country, but especially for 3yo this early. He ran into a monster field and a very tough trip.

I'm far from saying he is some superstar, but he isn't The Green Monkey either. If he can stay healthy, he'll win some races and probably a stakes or two at a minimum IMO.
I wish I owned him.