Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 10-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
traynor

Pattern Recognition

For those who may consider "pattern recognition" little more than New Age mumbo-jumbo, consider the following:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19950923

A specific quote should be of interest to all those who bet on horse races:
'Searching for such systems, he said, was "a complicated test to hand a computer", adding: "We're using human pattern recognition, which can disentangle that reasonably well to see the important stuff."'

In plain English, pattern recognition skills outperform the best computer analysis when complex data is involved. The whole trick is developing a methodology to train pattern recognition skills efficiently.
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

interesting stuff
Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
interesting stuff
Very !....

As strictly a pen and paper handicapper, that seems to make sense to me more and more, especially these days....

What I am saying is: When you reach a certain level of success and you can repeat it consistently, then it must be pattern recognition....Otherwise what would you call it ?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
plainolebill

It is interesting, for me it's easy to get bogged down in data and figs - miss the forest for the trees.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
antigeekess

Definitely interesting. Reassures me that my laziness in not pursuing computerized systems may be justified.

Are you an aspiring designer of such a training methodology, traynor?
antigeekess is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2012, 02:02 AM   #6
traynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by antigeekess
Definitely interesting. Reassures me that my laziness in not pursuing computerized systems may be justified.

Are you an aspiring designer of such a training methodology, traynor?
I designed a multimedia training application for professional-level blackjack, developed to train non-players into experts in as short a period as possible. The basic algorithms can be used to teach almost any topic--the process is the same, only the content is changed.

However, to use it for thoroughbred races requires that the entire race analysis process be made explicit, and then broken down into small units. Once that is complete, the individual units need to be coded into a multimedia app. Relatively speaking, blackjack is simple--there are a specific finite number of card combinations that can be encountered. Horse racing has a lot more alternative scenarios.

It is coming along well, but much still needs to be done.

Last edited by traynor; 10-16-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #7
traynor

To avoid any confusion--the app I am developing for thoroughbred races will not be sold. That is, it is not being developed to "market." It will be either posted here free, or a link will be posted here to a free download. A lot depends on the final development language.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:33 AM   #8
Capper Al

I agree, but not to knock computer applications in general. Once a human figures it out then a computer can do it better. The problem as I see it is how the computer is used when developing. The statistician's approach is putting the cart before the horse. Finding out that something occurs 1 in 4 times doesn't directly fit into the analysis of the game. The analysis is still handicapping like the old paper and pencil guy used to do it, but just more rapidly and accurately with computers. As Brad Free kept hammering away in his book Handicapping 101, it's the fundamentals stupid. After the application is built on handicapping logic then the statistics and ROI matter.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
Sinner369

traynor..........?

Quote:
Originally Posted by traynor
To avoid any confusion--the app I am developing for thoroughbred races will not be sold. That is, it is not being developed to "market." It will be either posted here free, or a link will be posted here to a free download. A lot depends on the final development language.

traynor if you are stuck for ideas, steps, informal rules, patterns, etc.......why don't you outline them here and perhaps we can help you generate new thoughts, ideas........... or even email us privately!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by traynor
For those who may consider "pattern recognition" little more than New Age mumbo-jumbo, consider the following:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19950923

A specific quote should be of interest to all those who bet on horse races:
'Searching for such systems, he said, was "a complicated test to hand a computer", adding: "We're using human pattern recognition, which can disentangle that reasonably well to see the important stuff."'

In plain English, pattern recognition skills outperform the best computer analysis when complex data is involved. The whole trick is developing a methodology to train pattern recognition skills efficiently.
Looks like the link is now out of date. I see an article about the double-double star discovered to have a planet -- I doubt that was the intended article.

In any event, a part of what Gladwell talks about in "Blink" is the subconscious being able to recognize patterns well before you are consciously aware. This is what I refer to as intuition in my own handicapping experiences.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
Aner

Sometimes humans are too good at pattern recognition. Do all fleecy clouds look like an animal? Are those really images of Jesus or Virgin Mary in the pizza, tree, rock, window, grilled cheese sandwich etc.? Do daily track variants really gyrate greatly from day to day sans weather changes?

I use pattern recognition all the time, but it's a little like the strike rate of idea people. If 10% of their ideas pan out, they are ecstatic.
Aner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
Gamblor

If patterns exist, they can be defined. So, to the pattern analysts here, what kinds of patterns do you see occurring when you "do the form"?
Gamblor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamblor
If patterns exist, they can be defined. So, to the pattern analysts here, what kinds of patterns do you see occurring when you "do the form"?
The two simple ones are workout within race and even race same position whole race. There are many more pattern that can easily be spotted in the past running lines and can be easily learned.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aner
Sometimes humans are too good at pattern recognition. Do all fleecy clouds look like an animal? Are those really images of Jesus or Virgin Mary in the pizza, tree, rock, window, grilled cheese sandwich etc.? Do daily track variants really gyrate greatly from day to day sans weather changes?

I use pattern recognition all the time, but it's a little like the strike rate of idea people. If 10% of their ideas pan out, they are ecstatic.
good post
Old 10-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
Gamblor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob60566
The two simple ones are workout within race and even race same position whole race. There are many more pattern that can easily be spotted in the past running lines and can be easily learned.
So I guess by that you mean the Beyer "workout within race" where they make a move from back, then drop back again late, that kind of thing?

The 2nd one - even race same position whole race... do you mean even pace of race and they stay in the same spot? What's positive about that pattern? IE if a horse in an even race sits 4th throughout, is that good? Could you explain that one to me?
Gamblor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: