Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
Secretariat

Spill, Baby, Spill!

New GOP campaign slogan.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100428/..._rig_explosion

Crews to set fire to oil leaking in Gulf of Mexico
CAIN BURDEAU AND BRETT MARTEL, Associated Press Writers Cain Burdeau And Brett Martel, Associated Press Writers – 7 mins ago

OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO – It's a hellish scene: Giant sheets of flame racing across the Gulf of Mexico as thick, black smoke billows high into sky.

This, though, is no Hollywood action movie. It's the real-life plan to be deployed just 20 miles from the Gulf Coast in a last-ditch effort to burn up an oil spill before it could wash ashore and wreak environmental havoc.

The Coast Guard planned to use hand-held flares to set fire to sections of the massive spill. Crews turned to the technique after failing to stop a 1,000-barrel-a-day leak at the spot where a deepwater oil platform exploded and sank.

A 500-foot boom was to be used to corral several thousand gallons of the thickest oil on the surface, which will then be towed to a more remote area, set on fire, and allowed to burn for about an hour.

The Coast Guard initially said the fires would be started by midday, but officials later postponed the operation until late afternoon or early evening.

About 42,000 gallons of oil a day are leaking into the Gulf from the blown-out well drilled by the Deepwater Horizon oil rig. Eleven workers are missing and presumed dead. The cause of the explosion has not been determined.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/environ...cle1090626.ece

Crist says oil spill proves drilling isn't safe, withdraws his support
By Marc Caputo, Mary Ellen Klas and Craig Pittman, Times/Herald Tallahassee Bureau
In Print: Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The oil spill spreading across the Gulf of Mexico is sending ripples through Florida and national politics, giving Gov. Charlie Crist a reason to withdraw his support for offshore drilling.

After a 90-minute plane flight Tuesday above the spill, which was spreading in an 80-mile by 42-mile blob, Crist said, "Clearly it could be devastating to Florida if something like that were to occur. It's the last thing in the world I would want to see happen in our beautiful state.''

He said there is no question now that lawmakers should give up on the idea of drilling off Florida's coast this year and in coming years. He has said previously he would support drilling if it was far enough from shore, safe enough and clean enough. He said the spill is proof that's not possible.
Secretariat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

So, this one unfortunate, tragic incident convinces you that we should abandon the offshore drilling process?

In your estimation, how often do these types of accidents occur?

I guess if it were up to you, nuclear energy would have been erradicated after Three Mile Island.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
ArlJim78

as of tomorrow Crisp is an independent, and not affliated with Republicans.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Lefty

Let's not drill for oil at all, it's not safe. Let's just all pay $15 a gallon for gas and lord knows what for heating and air conditioning. Let's just live safe lives and starve cause we're broke!.
Breaking news to sec and rest of the left: There's very little in this world that is safe
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

So what happens in other countries when they have an oil spill, both off shore, and land based? I'm sure it happens, but I don't think they cry to the whole world about it and how stupid their country is and long for more dependence on other countries to drill for the oil and take similar risks. Unfortunate, yes, but being big pussies about it isn't going to help fix it this or make the country better. Better damage and clean up methods and procedures are vital, and I'm sure far better than they were 30-40 years ago. Can't just use our solar powered cars and houses (the vast majority of us), can we.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Sure Glad we didn't give up on Transatlantic Ships after the Titanic
Old 04-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
ElKabong

The first time Ozzie Smith committed an error at shortstop, the whole world knew he was a failure. And so it is in the world of oil exploration.
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #8
Secretariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
So, this one unfortunate, tragic incident convinces you that we should abandon the offshore drilling process?

In your estimation, how often do these types of accidents occur?
No, this horrific incident didn't convince me to abandon offshore drilling processes. I had made that decision a long time ago. This incident however did convince Florida Republican Governor Charlie Crist to abandon the process.

How many types of accidents like this occur?

http://www.alternet.org/water/136793/the_consequences_of_'drill,_baby_drill':_more_than _90_oil_spills_a_day_in_the_u.s./

"The Consequences of 'Drill, Baby Drill': More Than 90 Oil Spills a Day in the U.S.

And that's just the fraction of reported spills. While big tanker disasters make the headlines, the daily toll of the oil industry is huge. "

The Coast Guard National Response Center, which tallies all reports of oil spills, logged more than 33,000 in 2008. Pipelines and platforms accounted for more than 1,300 each, and storage tanks suffered more than 2,400 spills.

The famous Prudhoe Bay oil field of Alaska's North Slope -- where would-be vice presidential husband Todd Palin worked -- suffers more than one oil spill every day on average, according to an analysis of spills from 1996 to 2008 recently compiled by the Northern Alaska Environmental Center. The period includes only two years with fewer than 400 spills.

Secretariat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
prospector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
i look at it as another rino gone..like POS specter...
Old 04-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
witchdoctor
Veteran

I agree with Sec. we should give up off shore drilling as there could be oil spills. We should give up flying because the plane could crash. We should give up driving because you could get killed in a car accident. We should give up riding horses as you could get thrown and killed or maimed. We should get rid of every medicine because there may be side effects.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #11
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat
this horrific incident didn't convince me to abandon offshore drilling processes. I had made that decision a long time ago. This incident however did convince Florida Republican Governor Charlie Crist to abandon the process.

Golly, hard hitting facts there. Send those cards & letters to:

Barack H. Obama
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500
Comments: 202-456-1111

Rather, you point out the non-Republican turning Independent Crist pulling a 180.

Go contact the big fish. He's in the office in the shape of an oval.

>90 spills/day?

Last edited by bigmack; 04-28-2010 at 10:35 PM.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Same with Sec. He will no longer be affiliated with the human race.
What a totally worthless post by a totally irrelevant poster.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:58 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Sure Glad we didn't give up on Transatlantic Ships after the Titanic
And fire, don't forget fire. And water....floods, drowning......and wind - might bee a hurricane. And solar - we get sunburned, droughts.....no more solar power. Coal....egads! Enough said. And electricity, shorts cause fires and we all know about fire!

Jeepers, with no safe forms of energy, what can we do but roll over and play dead? Or was that was Sec was doing in his post?
Old 04-29-2010, 12:31 AM   #14
johnhannibalsmith

As much as Sarah Palin (and most Repubs) irritates me, I just can't see being sheepishly happy that something awful happened just to get to play the "I told you so" game.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2010, 04:23 AM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat
No, this horrific incident didn't convince me to abandon offshore drilling processes. I had made that decision a long time ago. This incident however did convince Florida Republican Governor Charlie Crist to abandon the process.

http://www.alternet.org/water/136793/the_consequences_of_'drill,_baby_drill':_more_than _90_oil_spills_a_day_in_the_u.s./

"The Consequences of 'Drill, Baby Drill': More Than 90 Oil Spills a Day in the U.S.
Well, I asked you how often these TYPES of accidents occur, meaning in size and magnitude to the one currently going on...you responded with 90 a day.

You're saying there are 90 spills EVERY DAY like the one currently making headlines in the Gulf of Mexico? Or do you not know how to answer a basic question without spinning like a top?
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply