Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #16
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser57 View Post
I'm not using ALLWAYS or any handicapping software at this point. I've looked into downloading it, but can't find a working link. The company that apparently created it - Frandsen.com - appears to have disappeared since their website looks like it's now a parked domain.
Okay. Sounds like it had identified some important critical pace handicapping points in the PDF. Again, if you're going to use the table for the upcoming race find another source for running style and use it in conjunction with BRIS.

Good luck.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2017, 01:15 PM   #17
Gasser57

Thanks who. Just ordered my first book too - James Quinn's "The Complete Handicapper", which I hope will be useful.
Gasser57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #18
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Thanks who. Just ordered my first book too - James Quinn's "The Complete Handicapper", which I hope will be useful.
I started with other authors but Quinn is a great place to start. He writes handicapping books like textbooks. Covers much ground. His other work too on class really instills, at least in my case, a handicapper's understanding of a horse. Understanding how their ability matures, improves, and declines is big IMO.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2017, 09:38 PM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Maybe should have checked the reviews in the Handicapping Library section first

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=127566

Last edited by cj; 06-13-2017 at 09:42 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2017, 10:04 PM   #20
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post

I do think James Quinn is solid for beginners introduction to the sport.

Its odd there just have not been many handicapping books in the last decade that have come out. at least that I have come accross.

Two that I liked was Excotic Betting by Steve Crist and Six Secrets to Successful Betting.

Two different books completely but thought they were good reads and made me think about things.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2017, 10:54 PM   #21
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post

Its odd there just have not been many handicapping books in the last decade that have come out. at least that I have come accross.

Two that I liked was Excotic Betting by Steve Crist and Six Secrets to Successful Betting.

Two different books completely but thought they were good reads and made me think about things.
I do too, just not that book. I really like Figure Handicapping (of course) and a couple others.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #22
Gasser57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post

I just did, and it looks like the reviews are generally favorable as were those on Amazon. Like books on any subject, there's a lot of subjectivity in choosing one based not only on content but style. From what I could tell about this book Quinn offers a survey approach on handicapping, as opposed to advocating a particular approach. I think I've already educated myself beyond the "For Dummies" level, and after a lot of research, thought this looked like a good beginning to my handicapping library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post

Yeah, a primary reason I chose The Complete Handicapper is because the handicapper greats all seem to agree on the need to keep up to date on handicapping trends and the factors behind them, and it was the newest book I could find.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:25 PM   #23
agameofskill

Quote:
Update to my previous post - I did find a working link to download ALLWAYS, but the download instructions were for Windows 95/98/ME/XP, which suggests it's dangerously old. I couldn't even find it mentioned Googling handicapping software, and the newest reference to it on the software forum here is almost 4 years old.
Sadly, the maker of the program, Gary Hall, passed away a few years ago.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:04 PM   #24
Gasser57

Quote:
Originally Posted by agameofskill View Post
Sadly, the maker of the program, Gary Hall, passed away a few years ago.
Ah, too bad. That would explain why it's now longer available. You'd think Brisnet would take down the links for it, but I went to their "free software" page and the other offerings all look dated too - for Win 2000/XP/Vista.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:40 AM   #25
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:
Ah, too bad. That would explain why it's now longer available. You'd think Brisnet would take down the links for it, but I went to their "free software" page and the other offerings all look dated too - for Win 2000/XP/Vista.
If you use this link you can download it.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=allways
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #26
Waquoit

Quote:
I like this book, it's packed with info. My suggestion for your next book is Betting Thoroughbreds for the 21st Century by Steve Davidowitz.
Waquoit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply