Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

View Poll Results: Odds lines -- How do you do?
Never consider them 16 15.84%
Rarely consider them 10 9.90%
Take them with a grain of salt 47 46.53%
Faithfully follow them and may use a fudge factor 28 27.72%
Voters: 101. This poll is closed

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #31
Capper Al

Let's look at what the odds lines are good for.

1. Ordering your selections
2. Expressing the selections in an opinionated way numerically.
3. Understanding what the public might think.
4. Indicating that a horse deserves a second look if the tote odds are too high or too low.

That's all I can thing of.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #32
cashmachine

5) Computing whether horse is overlay or not (given probability of win)
cashmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #33
banacek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
3. Understanding what the public might think.
For me, not in the least. It is to clarify what I think about a race, so when I look at what the public thinks, I have a clear idea how whether to bet the race and, if so, how.
Your little winning streak
banacek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #34
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmachine
If you distinguish so many types of races and approach every type differently, how do you estimate you success for every type? It takes quite a few bets to get statistically significant estimate.
Track testing and record keeping and over 35 years of experience, including 20+ consecutive years of study without betting. And of course, my bottom line.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2014, 11:36 AM   #35
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmachine
5) Computing whether horse is overlay or not (given probability of win)
This is where they are worthless for me and why I said you have to take them with a grain of salt. Suppose your friend says that he is an antique collector of vases. And suppose that 3 out of 4 times he gets tricked into buying a counterfeit. This would mean that he was only right about 1 out of 4 times about finding an antique just like our average handicapper. Now you are strolling through the market with this friend and come upon a vase selling for $20.00. He says it's worth $50.00. Would you buy it? And that is what using an odds line to find value is like.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Old 05-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #36
banacek

Quote:
This is where they are worthless for me and why I said you have to take them with a grain of salt. Suppose your friend says that he is an antique collector of vases. And suppose that 3 out of 4 times he gets tricked into buying a counterfeit. This would mean that he was only right about 1 out of 4 times about finding an antique just like our average handicapper. Now you are strolling through the market with this friend and come upon a vase selling for $20.00. He says it's worth $50.00. Would you buy it? And that is what using an odds line to find value is like.
No because there is a 25% chance it is worth $50, so I would only buy it if I was getting more than 3-1 ($80) Your friend is only offering me 3-2.

Would I bet a horse that has a probability of 25% and is paying $5? No.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #37
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by banacek
No because there is a 25% chance it is worth $50, so I would only buy it if I was getting more than 3-1 ($80) Your friend is only offering me 3-2.

Would I bet a horse that has a probability of 25% and is paying $5? No.
Here's how people lose money. Ignore the fact he valued the vase at $50 which would have been a loss with his strike rate. Let's say he thought it was worth $120. The math you applied suggests a profit. But in reality the stated premise assumes he can accurately predict an antique only 25% of the time. What makes us think he can predict value any better?

Anatole France

Last edited by Capper Al; 05-28-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #38
banacek

Quote:
Here's how people lose money. Ignore the fact he valued the vase at $50 which would have been a loss with his strike rate. Let's say he thought it was worth $120. The math you applied suggests a profit. But in reality the stated premise assumes he can accurately predict an antique only 25% of the time. What makes us think he can predict value any better?
I can't answer that any better than raybo did a couple of posts back...experience. I set poor odds line 15 years ago...now mine are very good...and my longterm analysis of my lines supports that or I wouldn't use them anymore. Also I don't have to predict the odds..they are right there to see..only have to be good at the probability..that is a tough thing to do, but it is possible.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:48 PM   #39
Magister Ludi

Penny Auction Example

1. Val and Wynn bid at online penny auctions.

2. Wynn is a “power bidder”.

3. Wynn’s strategy is “tag and defend”. That is, Wynn will bid on an item at the beginning of an auction to “tag” it as his and aggressively bid throughout the auction to defend “his” item that he’s tagged.

4. Wynn frequently gets caught up in the heat of bidding and, on the average, pays more than market value for the items on which he has bid.

Val is a “jumper”.

Val strategy is to simultaneously watch multiple auctions.

Val sets his autobidder program to automatically "jump in" late in an auction and place a bid on any undervalued item at 300 ms to auction expiration.

Wynn loves to “stomp” the bids of jumpers like Val. Wynn will cheerfully pay more than an item is worth just for the exhilaration of winning an auction and to prove to people like Val that winning at any cost is the most important goal.

As the auction price of an item approaches fair market value, Val extricates himself from the clutches of Wynn and his ilk and jumps in on the auction of another undervalued item.

Last edited by Magister Ludi; 05-28-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Magister Ludi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #40
dannyhill

Guess i should watch that show auction hunters.
dannyhill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #41
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by banacek
I can't answer that any better than raybo did a couple of posts back...experience. I set poor odds line 15 years ago...now mine are very good...and my longterm analysis of my lines supports that or I wouldn't use them anymore. Also I don't have to predict the odds..they are right there to see..only have to be good at the probability..that is a tough thing to do, but it is possible.
Good for you. I'm guessing but you might know what value looks like and not follow a strict math made line?

Anatole France

Old 05-29-2014, 01:59 PM   #42
banacek

Quote:
Good for you. I'm guessing but you might know what value looks like and not follow a strict math made line?
Actually I do make up a strict mathematical line and my results have improved significantly (now that I am pretty good at doing it). When I didn't make up a line, I would look at a horse and say...7-1 on that horse is a great bet...basically doing a line in my head. But my emotions sometimes took over and all of a sudden it was 5-2 on that horse is a great bet..when it wasn't....especially during a streak (winning or losing).

Some people can do it without letting their emotions take over...not me. By putting the line down on paper, I have more structure and that has increased my confidence and results.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #43
Sapio

Quote:
Hi Capper Al

According to my friend (TM), you need look no further than what JCapper (Jeff Platt) is able to accomplish with his JRating using agents (different handicapping schools). TM estimates that Jeff can essentially breakeven playing all tracks, all distances, and all surfaces. Each agent is essentally a probability line. Agents are aggregated to form a final line (or ranking). Mind this accomplished without any conditioning or optimization.

TM estimates that with proper conditioning and optimization (will not speculate on conditioning or optimization) an additional 30 -50% roi is not unreasonable (conditioned on number plays and tracks).

Do really believe this would be possible without accurate probability lines (oddslines)?

Thomas Sapio

Last edited by Sapio; 05-29-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Sapio is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #44
Sapio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magister Ludi
1. Val and Wynn bid at online penny auctions.

2. Wynn is a “power bidder”.

3. Wynn’s strategy is “tag and defend”. That is, Wynn will bid on an item at the beginning of an auction to “tag” it as his and aggressively bid throughout the auction to defend “his” item that he’s tagged.

4. Wynn frequently gets caught up in the heat of bidding and, on the average, pays more than market value for the items on which he has bid.

Val is a “jumper”.

Val strategy is to simultaneously watch multiple auctions.

Val sets his autobidder program to automatically "jump in" late in an auction and place a bid on any undervalued item at 300 ms to auction expiration.

Wynn loves to “stomp” the bids of jumpers like Val. Wynn will cheerfully pay more than an item is worth just for the exhilaration of winning an auction and to prove to people like Val that winning at any cost is the most important goal.

As the auction price of an item approaches fair market value, Val extricates himself from the clutches of Wynn and his ilk and jumps in on the auction of another undervalued item.
Hi Magister Ludi

I like it.

Thomas Sapio
Sapio is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2014, 02:46 PM   #45
GaryG
Unreconstructed

I attended a Barry Meadow seminar at Del Mar in the early 90s. One thing I learned from him is that you can massage your line. You might have a horse at 4-1 and think "you know, I like him more than that". Then you can make him 3-1 and adjust the others proportionally. I saw him bet $500 on a 3-2 shot with a cold exacta because he believed he should have been 4-5. If you don't have the ability to create an accurate odds line fuhgedaboudit, The Morning Line is worthless.