Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 06-28-2017, 07:17 PM   #46
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Knave View Post
Microsoft and Samsung, to name 2, have 12" laptop/tablet computers running Win10. Battery life is at least close to what you need (10+ hours).
Excel is smart enough to enable scrollbars when there isn't enough screen real estate. You can use your fingers to move around the window if you can get used to that.
Also, you could print all your pp docs to pdf and have them available and alt-tab between them and your spreadsheet as needed.

You already know that this stuff is do-able, you just need to commit to a way of doing what you want/need and then keep refining it until it finally works for you.
Absolutely. Great post. Thank you! Change is hard. I can adapt but I know it's going affect a lot of older horseplayers in many neighborhoods in this city whom I know. I hate that reality. But to your last paragraph I am bound and determined to get to that next comfort zone and I think by Toga/Del Mar I'll be solid. TBD but lovin it!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2017, 10:35 AM   #47
stuball

Thumbs up printer tip I learned

If you get the brother printer (I have the Brother MFC-9130CW) do not replace the cartridge when the printer says to replace. The replace warning is based on page count. You can reset the page count to zero and use all the ink in the cartridge...I did that and it is like filling your gas tank to get more miles per gallon so to speak..FYI you don't get more mpg on your car just more miles but with the ink you get more pages per cartridge...You will use more black another FYI

Stuball

Last edited by stuball; 06-30-2017 at 10:38 AM.
stuball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #48
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball View Post
If you get the brother printer (I have the Brother MFC-9130CW) do not replace the cartridge when the printer says to replace. The replace warning is based on page count. You can reset the page count to zero and use all the ink in the cartridge...I did that and it is like filling your gas tank to get more miles per gallon so to speak..FYI you don't get more mpg on your car just more miles but with the ink you get more pages per cartridge...You will use more black another FYI

Stuball
While this is true, it isn't exactly true. The machine should indicate "toner near end" or something similar many pages prior to indicating "toner life end".(actually, there is a particular page count at some point AFTER it says Near End. That is just a warning to get a new one ready.

At 'toner life end' or 'replace cart", is does look at page count, but it indicates 'near end' prior to that by checking the level/density of toner inside the cartridge. I advise to replace it if the copies/prints are coming out lighter when it says "toner end" since it is easy to scratch or damage your expensive drum at that point. The toner acts like a lubricant against the drum and if not enough is present, the drum may get damaged. Otherwise, just reset the message and continue running until the prints get lighter, then replace it at that point. There are several ways to 'cheat ' the system in these devices.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2017, 04:30 PM   #49
CincyHorseplayer

Got the printer this morning. Everything is hooked up to everything else in the household and registered. Already went over most of the manual to address the specs you all were talking about. Easy as pie. Looks like I got military style hardware vs a VW Beetle comparing my cartridges on this Brother to my Canon! The 2 sided printing looks good. Would you suggest a heavier paper weight than 20? That weight curls a little but it has sat around a while. The 3 toner cartridges for color say the specs are for 1500 pages. Since the only color I print is the formatting for pace figures I hardly use any color at all. Even on the Canon I would replace the color once a year so this is probably good for beyond a year easy.

Anyway PP's are but 30% of what I do these days but the work done on them is still valuable. After 20 years of buying the form there is a tinge of sadness not seeing those people at those place. But buying more time and saving more money and mileage, I'll get over it. Was really angry over all this at first but the idea has more than grown on me. Classhandicapper suggested me doing this a few months ago. He probably thought I was nuts about ink concerns! But I didn't know what options were out there. Compiling my own daily playbook is only minute labor. Having it compiled into 1 unit will give me confidence. Digging the idea now! Got everything set to go for the big August meets. Small laptop and multiple batteries and all. The racino assholes won't shut me down. Scumbags! Cincy is ready to tear some ontrack up the rest of the summer!

Anyway will get back to you all about the specs over these next months. I saw there are high yield cartridges that go 4,000 pages for $55. Beats 400 pages for $25! As somebody alluded to earlier I am merely fusing old methods with new technology into one. It will work. A new era has begun for me. The optimism is stoked! Thanks for all the input gang!
Old 07-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #50
SandyW

I buy the 800 sheet Xerox 24lb, 96 brightness reams from Sam's Club or Costco for $6.88 each.
I find this the best paper to use for these Brother Printers.
SandyW is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #51
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyW View Post
I buy the 800 sheet Xerox 24lb, 96 brightness reams from Sam's Club or Costco for $6.88 each.
Was thinking the same. Thanks for all your comments SandyW!
Old 08-06-2017, 11:39 PM   #52
CincyHorseplayer

Well I have had this printer for over a month and it is a godsend. I don't work in an office so I had no idea what I needed. You all were so helpful I am eternally grateful! I am printing my own forms plus with all the other tools I use incorporated. It is a revolution! When I sit down to the races instead of a bunch of mish mash and separate documents. There it is. All in one. Having a real office printer where you are not apprehensive about banging out 1,500 pages or more a month is a breathe easy for a player. Thanks gang! This Brother printer is a beast! I don't print past performances. I print instruction manuals. It's awesome!
Old 08-06-2017, 11:44 PM   #53
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyW View Post
Bought it! And for keeping documents for later use this is what you need. Sandy I wish I saw you on handicapping or race threads but you did me some justice on this one. Thanks babe!
Old 08-07-2017, 12:33 AM   #54
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Get a can of spray air and make sure you keep the internals of that Brother clean. They are great, but their one downfall is the way they feed paper. I just literally picked one up and tossed into the trash bin in my garage (it was about 8-9 yrs old) after trying to solve a feeding problem for a couple of months. It was an mfc something.

It was a great printer right up until a couple of months ago. I paid 500 bucks for it, laser, color, it was great until it wasn't anymore.

Had feed problems every once in a while, but a can of air solved it normally. Not this time. I figured I got my money's worth. Tossed it.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:56 AM   #55
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Get a can of spray air and make sure you keep the internals of that Brother clean. They are great, but their one downfall is the way they feed paper. I just literally picked one up and tossed into the trash bin in my garage (it was about 8-9 yrs old) after trying to solve a feeding problem for a couple of months. It was an mfc something.

It was a great printer right up until a couple of months ago. I paid 500 bucks for it, laser, color, it was great until it wasn't anymore.

Had feed problems every once in a while, but a can of air solved it normally. Not this time. I figured I got my money's worth. Tossed it.
8-9 years. I thought shelf life was 5 years so I am ahead of the ballgame brother! The print capacity is otherworldly. There has been 3 family events where copy needed done plus race cards and I am banging out 100 per plus duplex PP's and pace and pedigree stuff. It's amazing having the right tools!
Old 09-15-2017, 01:59 AM   #56
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter14 View Post
I bought a laser printer HL-3140cw (Brothers) about 6 months ago...love it..not too pricey
I just ordered one......👍
Old 09-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #57
CincyHorseplayer

The Brother printers are awesome. I printed out about 1,000 pages in August and it used about 30% of the smaller, stock, 2,500 capacity toner cartridge. Color barely took any at all.

I noticed a company called LD Products emailed me about toner replacements that are compatible with Brother printers. They go for $31 which isn't much less than $55 for the high yield black. But the color is where the savings are. They are still $31 vs $96 and you have 3 colors so that could get expensive unless you use the generic. I'll probably buy the official black and get the generic tritone colors. Anybody have any experience with these LD products?
Old 10-04-2017, 02:30 PM   #58
AstrosFan
math/science # cruncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
The Brother printers are awesome. I printed out about 1,000 pages in August and it used about 30% of the smaller, stock, 2,500 capacity toner cartridge. Color barely took any at all.

I noticed a company called LD Products emailed me about toner replacements that are compatible with Brother printers. They go for $31 which isn't much less than $55 for the high yield black. But the color is where the savings are. They are still $31 vs $96 and you have 3 colors so that could get expensive unless you use the generic. I'll probably buy the official black and get the generic tritone colors. Anybody have any experience with these LD products?
I personally don't care for the brother products anymore after using the HL-2270DW printer (almost vintage) for years, which curls the paper and the ink seems to smear when I want to highlight something, which I cannot stand.

The cheaper version of toner, for me anyways, seems to rub off, even by hand, but that could be due to the cheaper printer and the outdated drum.

I am very nit picky when it comes to whatever I print. I want the best quality possible.
AstrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #59
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstrosFan View Post
I personally don't care for the brother products anymore after using the HL-2270DW printer (almost vintage) for years, which curls the paper and the ink seems to smear when I want to highlight something, which I cannot stand.

The cheaper version of toner, for me anyways, seems to rub off, even by hand, but that could be due to the cheaper printer and the outdated drum.

I am very nit picky when it comes to whatever I print. I want the best quality possible.
If you really want the best quality possible, then stop using cheap 3rd party toner and use OEM Brother toner designed and formulated for the Brother printer. Big difference in quality between poly coated OEM toner and carbon based 3rd party cheap stuff. Same goes for the drum.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #60
AstrosFan
math/science # cruncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977 View Post
If you really want the best quality possible, then stop using cheap 3rd party toner and use OEM Brother toner designed and formulated for the Brother printer. Big difference in quality between poly coated OEM toner and carbon based 3rd party cheap stuff. Same goes for the drum.

Now see this is the kind of response I like reading!

Thank you Longshot6977!

In all the years and years of printing at home, I didn't know about the "poly coated" and "carbon based" setup for toner. I thought it had to do with the way the drum produced the actual "print" onto the paper...which the paper conversation is reserved for another day
AstrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: