Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-25-2017, 04:35 PM   #16
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
This looks like another one those examples of a whine fest by someone who believes they were "cheated" out of an opportunity to place a bet or bets..
"Screw the horses, riders and the people that pay for these animals and their upkeep...I WANT MY RACING!!!!!!!!!!!!"
I also like this one
"Well, back in the day they NEVER took races off the turf....And NEVER cancelled a card just because it( fill in the blank)"....
Pardon the expression but HORSE SHIT...
Note to the OP. Perhaps we did not see as many cancellations or off the turf in years past, but jeez...Do you think it not possible that we are a helluva lot smarter now?
Naaahh.....Complain onward
I don't know if race track officials are smarter now. I hear a lot of reasons why racing isn't doing well and rarely does anyone say it's because the track officials are smarter these days.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 03:55 PM   #17
Cholly

a curious thing about that "busted" card: the P6 carryover from Friday was 24K; a somewhat reliable rule of thumb is that NYRA P6 will attract 4X the carryover amount in new money. So under normal conditions the Saturday P6 would be expected to pull in 100K. With an off-track, beaucoup scratches, a 5-horse race and two 4-horse races reduceing the chance of big scores, I expected Saturday's P6 to draw 50K at most--according to Equibase it pulled in $247K in new money.

Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why a busted card like Saturdays would draw so much P6 action?
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 05:28 PM   #18
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholly View Post
Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why a busted card like Saturdays would draw so much P6 action?
I would guess people thought it would be easy and played a lot of cheaper tickets.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 08:35 PM   #19
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I rarely play NYRA, but I bought TFUS for Saturday on Wednesday, so I figure see what I could find left in it after the scratches. Ended up being a great card, IMHO and I played most of the races.
Coming back this weekend.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:41 PM   #20
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
I don't know if race track officials are smarter now. I hear a lot of reasons why racing isn't doing well and rarely does anyone say it's because the track officials are smarter these days.
Ok..That wasn't the point I was attempting to make.
My angle here is safety.
If you want to discuss the issues plaguing this game, there are at least two active threads on this very subject.
Look....If it rains a lot, its not good for 1200 lb animals to be running on the grass. The surface and the root systems take too much time to recover. It is better to surrender a days turf racing than to go ahead and race and lose WEEKS because the turf is severely damaged.
Not only the damage to the turf itself, but more importantly the potential hazards to riders and horses. So ya miss a day. So what. Come back tomorrow. The track will still be there.
I will say this....So they go ahead and for the sake of keeping a few bettors happy, race on the goo. In the first race two horses go down because one snapped a foreleg and the other fell over the first one. They bring out the van and the "blue screen". Now what? You have a huge public relations mess on your hands. Every friggin animal rights group wants the track shut down and the management imprisoned.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: