Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-26-2017, 09:31 AM   #16
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I'm surprised people aren't talking about Bob Baffert's recent accomplishments a little more. That's quite lineup of horses, some of which have made huge leaps forward this year, and he still has more to come.

Arrogate
More Spirit
Collected
Danzing Candy
American Anthem
Abel Tasman
You forgot Cupid
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #17
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
You forgot Cupid
Yikes.

It's crazy.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #18
Spalding No!

Quote:
I'm surprised people aren't talking about Bob Baffert's recent accomplishments a little more. That's quite lineup of horses, some of which have made huge leaps forward this year, and he still has more to come.

Arrogate
More Spirit
Collected
Danzing Candy
American Anthem
Abel Tasman
It's a house with a rickety foundation. Aside from the great Arrogate and the solid Abel Tasman (who signaled her quality under her original trainer), the rest of the collection might revert back to pumpkin status if the 5-horse fields, midwest second-tier races, and preferred distances dry up.

Mor Spirit - if the exploits of Met Mile winners of the recent past are any indication (going back 20 years or so), he's got about one good race left in him. As it stands, I'm not gonna assign him otherworldly status for beating Sharp Azteca and Tommy Macho. At least Frosted broke the 120 Beyer mark last year.

Danzig Candy - benefited from Mor Spirit running interference for him in Texas when that one won the prep for the Lone Star Handicap, ensuring another 5-horse field in the marquee event so this one could sneak in and waltz unmolested on the lead. Even a hint of pace-pressure and this horse falls apart like a cheap suit. Baffert will have to get creative looking for an appropriate spot. Do they still run the Grade 3 Iselin at 8.5f?

Cupid - looked every bit as bad in the Gold Cup as he did in any of his races last year; near bolt on far turn, lugged in straight towards rail, wrong lead in stretch. Doesn't matter, Coolmore pulled off their coup. He's now a Grade 1 winner--i.e. stallion prospect-- by virtue of beating ex-claimer Follow Me Crev (who was wiped out at start by Cupid's stablemate). Wasn't nominated to the Suburban, so I'm not sure where he'll turn up next (if at all). Probably at some racetrack with a cornfield growing around it.

Collected - Interesting, reportedly working poorly for the 10f Gold Cup but then turns in a bullet workout 2 days after that race, followed by a knockout effort this weekend going 8.5f. Of course, he only had 7yo non-graded stakes winning stablemate Cat Burglar to beat. Guess we won't be seeing him in the Pacific Classic, Jockey Club Gold Cup, or BC Classic. I wonder if Baffert will be forced to actually try him on the grass again (where he probably belongs anyway) if he has problems juggling all these high-maintenance older horses around. Maybe then we will see how good he really is.

American Anthem - after he gets dusted in the Haskell, I wonder if he will have any form left to contend with Practical Joke in the King's Bishop. Probably not. Look for him to get time off after August and reappear as a 4yo so Baffert it can do it all over again in flat mile races at Santa Anita, Lone Star, etc. I wonder if Cat Burglar will still be around to run second.

The sad thing is, if Baffert can happen to get Hoppertunity back in shape, he could at least ensure that these "graded stakes" in CA draw 6-horse fields.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 11:44 AM   #19
Robert Fischer
clean money

you are as blind as the rest, if you think luck and field size are Baffert's edge
Old 06-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #20
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
you are as blind as the rest, if you think luck and field size are Baffert's edge
I was discussing the relative merits of each horse, not throwing out some vague implication that Baffert has an "edge".

If the above quote is typical of your 15,000+ "contributions" to the discussions on here, I would consider sticking with chess...or better yet seclusion.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #21
reckless
Veteran

The point is moot I know, but the way the Triple Crown races eventually played out, it is my opinion that if Mastery didn't break down, he would have given Baffert another Triple Crown winner.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #22
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
I was discussing the relative merits of each horse, not throwing out some vague implication that Baffert has an "edge".
I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said, but each of those horses has developed a great deal this year (some have developed more than the average expectation for 3yos that raced at 4). His barn is absolutely loaded with older males. If they all stay sound and are spotted well, he could easily dominate the division in a way no one has ever done before.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:14 PM   #23
Spalding No!

Quote:
His barn is absolutely loaded with older males. If they all stay sound and are spotted well, he could easily dominate the division in a way no one has ever done before.
Charlie Whittingham with Ack Ack, Cougar II, Quack, Kennedy Road, Daryls Joy, Practicante in 1971-1973.

Bill Mott with Cigar, Geri, Wekiva Springs, and Peaks and Valleys in 1995-1996.

Richard Mandella with Gentlemen, Siphon, Sandpit, Atticus, Malek, Wild Rush, Puerto Madero, 1997-1998

Bobby Frankel with Aptitude, Skimming, Lido Palace, Senure, and Euchre in 2000-2001.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #24
classhandicapper

Quote:
Charlie Whittingham with Ack Ack, Cougar II, Quack, Kennedy Road, Daryls Joy, Practicante in 1971-1973.

Bill Mott with Cigar, Geri, Wekiva Springs, and Peaks and Valleys in 1995-1996.

Richard Mandella with Gentlemen, Siphon, Sandpit, Atticus, Malek, Wild Rush, Puerto Madero, 1997-1998

Bobby Frankel with Aptitude, Skimming, Lido Palace, Senure, and Euchre in 2000-2001.

71-73 is before my time, but you've added some other nice lineups. Then again Arrogate will probably sweep the year and add another Classic and Pegasus before we even get to what the others do in every race Arrogate isn't in.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:27 PM   #25
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
I was discussing the relative merits of each horse, not throwing out some vague implication that Baffert has an "edge". ...
Baffert's "edge" is that he's been very LUCKY that's all.

If you think about it, he's just been on a winning streak for the last 30 +/- years!!

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 06-26-2017 at 04:28 PM.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #26
Fager Fan
Veteran

Shouldn't this thread give at least half billing to Barnes? Baffert really does roll in at 8am. It's not just a joke. Half of the day's work is done before BB sets foot in the barn. BB's not the one looking at each horse first thing for any issues, that's Barnes. BB's not overseeing the schedule and watching all the works and gallops in the early sets, that's Barnes. Barnes is overseeing their morning feeding and preparing the afternoon feeding. What does Baffert do? Watches the late workers? Maybe he makes the set lists and enters the horses, talks to his owners.

Maybe we should start acknowledging the assistants as equal in the success of the barns where the assistants have to play an equal (if not more) role.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 08:20 PM   #27
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Shouldn't this thread give at least half billing to Barnes? Baffert really does roll in at 8am. It's not just a joke. Half of the day's work is done before BB sets foot in the barn. BB's not the one looking at each horse first thing for any issues, that's Barnes. BB's not overseeing the schedule and watching all the works and gallops in the early sets, that's Barnes. Barnes is overseeing their morning feeding and preparing the afternoon feeding. What does Baffert do? Watches the late workers? Maybe he makes the set lists and enters the horses, talks to his owners.

Maybe we should start acknowledging the assistants as equal in the success of the barns where the assistants have to play an equal (if not more) role.
You're correct but, most (bettors) don't know who the assistants are by name. Only occasionally do they become known but, usually after they themselves go out on their own as a head trainer. I'm thinking of C Brown as an example. Asmussen is another.

But, I'm fairly certain it's the head trainer who selects the races which is probably not an easy thing to do.

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 06-26-2017 at 08:24 PM.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #28
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

More than a few other trainer could take lessons on how to train a race horse from Baffert.

His horse show up fit and ready.
Too many on the East coast don't even show up.

If Pletcher trained Secretariat, he would have "rested" him after the Wood loss.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: