Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-01-2017, 11:05 PM   #421
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Why did Kent's horse get DQed?
Kent's horse did the bump so that's why he came down, understand that, I feel like his horse came out though in reaction to where the front-runner spun out to out of the turn, but because he was like a length & a half in front & therefore clear, he gets to wash his hands of the incident.

This still has no bearing on the issue with Heat's injury & the race-riding against him which is where I'm still waiting to hear why Kent's ride in relation to this horse was "egregious" & worthy of blame for a fatal injury.
SG4 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #422
jimmyb

9th race at Belmont today. I had the #7 @15/1. Looks like Irad quit riding him and got beat by a nose. Bonehead.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #423
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
Joel Rosario in the 6th at Belmont today on Wonderment. He was never getting to the winner but should absolutely have been 2nd. He was so determined to stay on the rail he almost allowed the badly tiring horses in front of him to force him to go down.

As soon as he got her outside she flew home. Mr Jekyl and Hyde always.
Won today and paid $20.80
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2017, 07:43 PM   #424
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Nice one!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #425
GMB@BP

Quote:
Solid
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #426
dilanesp

Mike "money" Smith on It Tiz Well in the Summertime Oaks on Saturday. Whatever is the world record for number of times a horse gets shut off on the rail in a race, Smith just broke it. Burned a ton of money at 6 to 5.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2017, 10:03 PM   #427
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Mike "money" Smith on It Tiz Well in the Summertime Oaks on Saturday. Whatever is the world record for number of times a horse gets shut off on the rail in a race, Smith just broke it. Burned a ton of money at 6 to 5.
I agree. "Big money" got a dream trip with Abel Tasman, which I had no money on, but with ITW there were no holes, for which I had singled and keyed all over the place.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2017, 03:20 PM   #428
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Edgar Perez in the 8th @ Arlington.

Bold 3-wide move, to tackle an extremely cheap speed, as they approached the far turn. Two longer odds horses swept by late to pass Premature Perez.
Moon Song is back AP race 4 today.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:30 PM   #429
ronsmac

A. Cruz. I'm not wasting time trying to figure out his first name, just stopped ridding and got nailed for 2nd in the 9th at Laurel. He must be related to Kent.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #430
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
A. Cruz. I'm not wasting time trying to figure out his first name, just stopped ridding and got nailed for 2nd in the 9th at Laurel. He must be related to Kent.
The Drf chart caller saw the same thing I did and put it in the comment sections. That doesn't help my exacta though.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #431
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Alan Garcia, one of the worst riders in the game proves it yet again I n the Woodbine 9th. Rallies from last up rail, horse in front leaves huge opening for him to come through on inside and he chickens out. Checks his mount and loses all momentum.

Fort Erie next for him?
Old 07-09-2017, 09:46 PM   #432
Ian Meyers

BEL 5th Today

Jose Oritz's ride on Rubilinda might be near the top of bad rides noted in this thread.

Connections joked to someone I know this morning that the only way she could lose was if Jose fell off. He did everything but running into at least 5 lengths of trouble in a small field to get beat a length to a lone speed winner. This one is so good that I've heard they will go directly to a stake even though they got beat in a NW1. Of course that's not going to help the PK3 & PK4 tickets I ripped up.

I've been around for a long time and I hate to sound like an incurable romantic, but I never remember the good jocks in NY in the 80's and 90's giving as many bad rides as the leading NYRA riders do today. You could count on one hand the number of times during the year that Jerry Bailey would get caught in a blind switch or strangle in a paceless race.

The 'best' of this rider colony, Ortiz bros, Castellano, JV, Rosario each give you at least one clown ride almost every day. It makes it very hard to gamble.

Last edited by Ian Meyers; 07-09-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Ian Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2017, 11:07 PM   #433
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Meyers View Post
Jose Oritz's ride on Rubilinda might be near the top of bad rides noted in this thread.

Connections joked to someone I know this morning that the only way she could lose was if Jose fell off. He did everything but running into at least 5 lengths of trouble in a small field to get beat a length to a lone speed winner. This one is so good that I've heard they will go directly to a stake even though they got beat in a NW1. Of course that's not going to help the PK3 & PK4 tickets I ripped up.

I've been around for a long time and I hate to sound like an incurable romantic, but I never remember the good jocks in NY in the 80's and 90's giving as many bad rides as the leading NYRA riders do today. You could count on one hand the number of times during the year that Jerry Bailey would get caught in a blind switch or strangle in a paceless race.

The 'best' of this rider colony, Ortiz bros, Castellano, JV, Rosario each give you at least one clown ride almost every day. It makes it very hard to gamble.
Well she was entered in a stake before today, but had to scratch when it came off turf so I'm sure she'll go in a stake next time.

I agree with your sentiments about today's colony but I think Ortiz has been unfairly criticized for this ride. He should have never been in that spot, I'll give you that, but if you watch the head on, he got put in that spot because Eloweasel was all over the track. Trust me, I'd love to blast Jose here because he should know better than to get her caught up like that, but I feel like it was more bad luck than poor riding.

The truth is, none of these guys are very good, nor consistent. And you're right, it makes it hard to gamble. Much more so than 10-15 years ago.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:02 AM   #434
Ian Meyers

Quote:
The truth is, none of these guys are very good, nor consistent. And you're right, it makes it hard to gamble. Much more so than 10-15 years ago.
I have always factored in weak riders to the price I need to wager. I like betting turf races and many times a bad jock from an outside post on a fast horse can be the kiss of death. Then again, years back I'd get 20 or 30-1 on that kind and I made money betting them even though I'd tear up tickets when they went 5W into the first turn.

The problem in NY is while some of the top ones are skilled they are very inconsistent and not very good at assessing pace. What do you do when you've got a seemingly top rider on what you feel is the best horse at a decent price when you know 1 out of 5 or more times the jock will throw in a clown ride? I'm not saying Bailey wasn't over-bet or never got beat but you rarely walked away thinking he got beat on a tons the best horse. It happens nearly every day in NY now, and that just was not the case 20 years ago.

One very sharp guy I know thinks it's related to the racino inflated purse structure. His opinion is that these jocks make so much money now, almost by default, that other than the big days they just go through the motions out there most days.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:15 AM   #435
Ian Meyers

Just for shits and grins I ran this...

Win % & ROI when horse is <=2-1 at off (NYRA 2017 only)

Irad 42%Win / .88 ROI

Jose 37%Win / .79 ROI

Castellano 31%Win / .64 ROI

Johnny V 45%Win / .95 ROI

Rosario 42%Win / .93 ROI

results surprised me a little, especially Rosario. Now does this mean the horse lost because of a bad ride or was he over-bet in a particular race? With the five jocks above I'd argue that probably none of them are over bet relative to the other four but maybe others feel differently.

Castellano is shit on short priced horses though. If you look at just 6/5 and below the guy has got a -30% win ROI. Johnny V is -9% with the same group...

Food for thought.

Last edited by Ian Meyers; 07-10-2017 at 12:17 AM.
Ian Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply