Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-11-2017, 05:53 PM   #1
theBozyn

first time gelding

I'm a big fan of the "first time gelding" angle. Does anyone know of any trainer stats that pertain to this angle.
theBozyn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBozyn View Post
I'm a big fan of the "first time gelding" angle. Does anyone know of any trainer stats that pertain to this angle.
It is pretty tough to do any real trainer stats because the reporting of this angle is not very accurate.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2017, 10:56 PM   #3
fmhealth

May have helped here.

http://www.drf.com/news/single-ticke...es-controversy
fmhealth is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2017, 10:32 PM   #4
n.c

i look for the first time gelding and the

work out improvement...
n.c is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2017, 10:39 PM   #5
betovernetcapper

So far there are no trainer stats. There is some evidence that gelding a very young horse is likely to produce positive results. A two or even three year old is able to learn or acquire new more productive patterns. If you geld at 4 or older the undesirable traits are now so ingrained that the gelding is unlikely to be of any use. If it's a cheap horse with poor breeding it would probably be best to cut him as a yearling. It would probably learn it's tasks quicker & in general be easier to handle.
Based on the above if a two or three year old is making it's 1st or 2nd running as a gelding, some improvement is very possible. If a four year old or older, it's probably just an act of desperation.

My posts & letters & avatars & whatever reflect solely my own world view- Born in 1948 and never an I.C.E. visit
betovernetcapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply