Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #136
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
Yeah, but Altoids come in a tin and meds come in a bottle, so...

You mixing the percs with the curiously strong mints?
I don't know how they got mixed up.

Last edited by cj; 09-27-2018 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Political part removed
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2018, 08:14 PM   #137
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackingTVG View Post
And Vic, if you werent posting picks in the summer/fall of 2017, I likely didn't track you.

The bottom line... most of your fellow co workers are trash when it comes to selections or any kind of knowledge.

Rich Perloff just posted a pick 4 ticket: 3 deep in every race.... the first race of the pick 4 were the 3 favorite betting selections. Absolutely horrible ticket structure.
Today's TRACKING

12 check marks.................7 winners $24.00 bet $42.00 collected

3 Pick 4's ........................ $66.00 bet $177.00 collected
Old 09-28-2018, 08:37 PM   #138
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Today's TRACKING

jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2018, 01:14 AM   #139
v j stauffer

Tracking, Here's the play. Wait a day or two. A new page will eventually start. Then you can come on and say more slanderous and evil things about Matt or Mike or Brittany or Christina. Someone.

Forget about the fact I picked a couple winners. Who cares?

Don't have to even act like you saw.

Be patient you'll get to be hateful soon enough.

Looking forward.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:56 PM   #140
metro

Not taking a side because, again, I know it's not easy just putting together a horizontal wager on a budget and having any real chance of hitting.

But what gets me is the flippant commentary that sometimes comes out of the experts mouths. Perloff just saw his 2-5 Pic 5 single get ran down at the wire and his first words were...."not a particular comfortable trip for Mo Cash." Huh? He had basically the exact trip he had gotten in his previous race! Which was a perfect outside stalking trip, just like he got today!

Not redboarding because I didn't have the winner (I keyed Mr. Jordan 1st and 2nd) but anyone betting 2-5 on a horse trying to do something he had not done previously (stretching out to a mile) is not the recipe for success. Guess Rich left his toolbox at home today.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #141
coachv30

This game is a difficult one for everyone who plays it. They are under a microscope by a lot of viewers. I don't think they deserve to be bashed when wrong. However...it's those who come on the set with an attitude like...

"I studied this card top to bottom last night and do I have some plays for you!!"

"I am so confident in a few of these races that I even had to play a P6 ticket today and you will see it later"

True experts will remain humble AFTER their selection wins ( I see it a lot on there). However, some can't even be humble before the race even goes off.

When you are in the spotlight like they are, the first phrase that needs to be avoided is "There's no way this horse can/should lose today".

Last edited by coachv30; 09-29-2018 at 01:14 PM.
coachv30 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2018, 01:13 PM   #142
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Other than Andy Serling, I can't imagine giving a good crap what any other handicapper thinks.

And even then, I use the info he give to supplement my handicapping.

But you know they have to make picks in every race, and they will not like every race, so what good is tracking them?

And if you are not playing P6 tickets, I should suggest you not listen to anyone at all. P6 is nothing like win betting.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #143
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachv30 View Post
This game is a difficult one for everyone who plays it. They are under a microscope by a lot of viewers. I don't think they deserve to be bashed when wrong. However...it's those who come on the set with an attitude like...

"I studied this card top to bottom last night and do I have some plays for you!!"

"I am so confident in a few of these races that I even had to play a P6 ticket today and you will see it later"

True experts will remain humble AFTER their selection wins ( I see it a lot on there). However, some can't even be humble before the race even goes off.

When you are in the spotlight like they are, the first phrase that needs to be avoided is "There's no way this horse can/should lose today".
The gal at Santa Anita yesterday couldn't get out of her own way concerning Kershaw in one of the later races. Big odds-on favorite was never even a factor. I don't know what happened as I didn't see the entire race, just the stretch run in the recaps, but he didn't run as she expected.

I don't know the answer to all this. These TV guys and gals have to do their job, which is giving out choices. Maybe tone down on the "can't misses" a little, particularly when they don't offer any opportunity, such as this particular choice yesterday.

Last edited by ultracapper; 09-29-2018 at 02:55 PM.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2018, 02:50 PM   #144
v j stauffer

Quote:
Today's TRACKING

SATURDAYS TRACKING

20 Check Marks..........5 winners $40.00 bet $51.00 collected

4 Pick 4's............$178 bet...............$302.00 collected (hit early and late pick 4 at CD)
Old 09-30-2018, 04:22 PM   #145
Helles

Nice work, Vic.
Helles is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #146
JimG

2 random thoughts:

1) I still remember the first time I saw TVG (around 1999 or 2000, I think) on a television in my home. Thought I had died and gone to heaven. Hard for me to talk crap on TVG because of this. I would not want to have to provide public picks for all races at any tracks, much less some of the tracks they carry,

2) I qualified 2 out of the 3 years attempted for the NHC and had a blast. Stopped doing it once they stopped providing a decent accounting for what they were taking in compared to what was being paid out.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2018, 05:20 PM   #147
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
2 random thoughts:

1) I still remember the first time I saw TVG (around 1999 or 2000, I think) on a television in my home. Thought I had died and gone to heaven. Hard for me to talk crap on TVG because of this. I would not want to have to provide public picks for all races at any tracks, much less some of the tracks they carry,

2) I qualified 2 out of the 3 years attempted for the NHC and had a blast. Stopped doing it once they stopped providing a decent accounting for what they were taking in compared to what was being paid out.

Jim
Sharp, insightful post.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:16 PM   #148
HalvOnHorseracing

I have nothing really bad to say about Carothers. I think he overemphasizes early speed in his selections, making his handicapping less than what it could be, but he is a lot more tolerable than Schrupp.

I remember when one of the other personalities called Carothers the best handicapper (I think in the country) for the NYRA tracks. I don't remember Carothers sheepishly going, "Aw shucks, I'm just one of a group of handicappers who understand the NYRA tracks."
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2018, 02:47 AM   #149
v j stauffer

Quote:
SATURDAYS TRACKING

20 Check Marks..........5 winners $40.00 bet $51.00 collected

4 Pick 4's............$178 bet...............$302.00 collected (hit early and late pick 4 at CD)
SUNDAYS TRACKING 12 Check Marks 5 winners $24.00 bet........$54.00 collected.

Pick 4's $96.00 bet............$0 collected
Old 10-01-2018, 07:44 AM   #150
Inner Dirt

In defense of people on TVG trying to pick races and I haven't watched them in years, doing old school handicapping with making my own pace figures, it can take 4-6 hours to do a thorough job handicapping a card. If they have to make picks on multiple cards a day they are going to have to take short cuts, I am pretty sure many of those selections are made quickly on the fly.

As for the personalities I remember liking Nick Hines a lot, considered Rich Perloff a condescending jerk (he used to take a lot of calls and talked down to the callers constantly). I found Bob Baedeker annoying as he seemed like a tip sheet tout, he would go on and on after a race if he picked a winner, but never mentioned what happened if he lost, quickly moving on.

Like I said, probably haven't watched TVG since I left California in 2010.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply