Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #1
ldiatone

XBTV

viewed this on facebook this a partial part of the article here is the rest.
http://www.thoroughbredracing.com/ar...and-its-bettor

XBTV
Prioritizing the handicapper, as TVG and TVG2 now do, is a winning strategy. So much so, that there will soon be not one, but two additional offerings, both claiming they’ll provide unprecedented amounts of betting information and analysis.

In early spring, the Stronach Group will unveil XBTV, which will be available only online at first. Though XBTV will feature several former HRTV on-air personalities, such as Jeff Siegel, they say that is where the similarities will end.

“HRTV had much more of a focus on the casual racing fan. This new digital startup, XBTV, is going to be completely focused on serious horseplayers,” says Kim Flum, Director of Digital Media and Marketing for XBTV.

“It’s not that there isn’t a place for the people who go to the track for hats and cocktails,” she adds, “but that’s not our market. If you are not there to wager, we’re not for you. We’re there for players. We’re not for the person who doesn’t understand how to make a bet.”

For their debut, and for several weeks after, XBTV - which will be available 24/7, free of charge - will only cover Santa Anita, augmented with weekend programming focused on stakes action. If all goes smoothly, they will then add Gulfstream coverage. For the rest of the day, xbtv.com will offer a variety of on-demand programming. It’s a “walk before you run” strategy, emphasizing quality, not quantity.

But it begs the question: why didn’t the Stronach Group simply keep HRTV, and repurpose it? Why build a brand for 12 years, sell it, and then begin anew with a startup one year later?

Flum responds: “As much as I think there was a lot of brand equity with HRTV, we are not going to cling to that old model. The tagline for HRTV was ‘The Network For Horse Sports’. And that’s very much not what we are. This is ‘Your Way To Watch, Your Way To Play’. This is for horseplayers. We’re going to take the best of what we had there and distill it down into something amazing for horseplayers.”

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
thaskalos

Personally...I feel that the hardcore horseplayer deserves some TV programming which is tailored to his/her own needs. There may not be a lot of us out there...but we are not extinct yet. And, who knows, maybe there would be more of us if our existence was acknowledged by the horse racing media. It might have been fun watching Geno go "bonkers for Yonkers"...but I feel the time has come for some serious horse race programming, with a 21st-century feel too it.

Good move...IMO.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:59 PM   #3
ldiatone

The "show is to expand later. Only SA for now with bonus from GP.
I liked it

Old 03-05-2016, 10:22 PM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Yes, much more professional than the goofs in the booths on that other network.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
Kash$
Veteran

HD was great info was solid.
Kash$ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
Elliott Sidewater

Did anyone notice that on Saturday, Jeff Siegel's $300 caveman $0.50 pick 5 ticket went down like the Hindenburg? 600 combinations (!), all bought for naught, all because of the remarkable handicapping insight that Songbird couldn't lose. Reminds me of what we all loved about TVG, NOT

Last edited by Elliott Sidewater; 03-07-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Elliott Sidewater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #7
ldiatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott Sidewater
Did anyone notice that on Saturday, Jeff Siegel's $300 caveman $0.50 pick 5 ticket went down like the Hindenburg? 600 combinations (!), all bought for naught, all because of the remarkable handicapping insight that Songbird couldn't lose. Reminds me of what we all loved about TVG, NOT
i saw that.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #8
no breathalyzer
Veteran

some People still love the ''cave man'' ticket
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #9
lamboguy

if anyone wants to listen to anything regarding horse racing, pay close attention to Richard Migliore. he is the best i have ever seen spotting horses in the paddock and the race track that goes public with it. he really helps a person that is sitting home without a close up view.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #10
ultracapper

I can't wait for this to roll out.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2016, 05:04 PM   #11
HalvOnHorseracing

I have mixed feelings about the idea. If you are deeply immersed in a circuit, it's hard to imagine how they might help you, unless they are able to provide detail not available from public sources. Of course it has to be better than what TVG offers, especially if they use talent like Siegel.

Once a network becomes dependent on advertising revenue, their ability to be critical seriously diminishes. I'm not sure how they will generate revenue other than subscriptions, but that could be an issue in terms of the content.

I would hope they spend as much time on betting as handicapping.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2016, 11:09 PM   #12
v j stauffer

Thinking about offering to do some shifts on this network.

Jeff has been a good friend for 35 years.

First guy I ever met that REALLY got it at the windows.

Genius.

What do you guys think about me doing some shows for them?

For real.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:15 PM   #13
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer

Genius.

For real.
Do they tell you what to say at these networks...or are you allowed to analyze the races in the manner that you yourself choose? Since an ADW is connected to them...do they persuade you to encourage wagering on every single race?
Old 03-08-2016, 12:06 AM   #14
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Do they tell you what to say at these networks...or are you allowed to analyze the races in the manner that you yourself choose? Since an ADW is connected to them...do they persuade you to encourage wagering on every single race?
In the 10 years I was on the air at TVG. I was never once told what to say. And only very occasionally told what not to.

Usually when I'd lose sight of the fact TVG is not a news organization but an ADW company.

They do encourage on air talent to provide pick 4 tickets and the such. They generate additional handle.

I never recall anybody ever saying something to "encourage" wagering.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:35 AM   #15
Helles

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer

Genius.

For real.
Vic, I would certainly like to see you contribute on-air. I've always enjoyed your insights.
Helles is offline   Reply With Quote Reply