Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-23-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
AAcoolguy

Pace calculator

I am considering buying the pace calculator from American Turf Monthly and have read the articles by Sartin. I see that part of the calculation uses the DRF speed rating. Being in So. Cal. with all of our tracks going to some form of poly, the speed ratings are not listed. I guess because they need three years of records for the speed rating. Anyway, are the speed ratings absolutly neccessary or is there a way of using the Beyers? I would hate to shell out $45 for a pice of equipment I won't be able to use for another three years.

Thanks.
AAcoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
grahors

I have the calculator and the software. Any speed fig will work just fine with the calculator. For the software, I use bris data and therefore it uses Bris spd figs. Has worked very nicely for me.
Cecil
grahors is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
oddswizard

pace calculator

Substitute the Beyer speed figure for the DRF speed figure. The total figure will be different but the results will be the same.
oddswizard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2007, 10:31 PM   #4
BeatTheChalk

Ray Talbout and The Pace Calculator !

I had one .. in the early 60's ! It was like a Slide rule. Mr Talbout was the inventor ..Cant recall if it worked or not. Of course I didnt know a thing at that time.. so it mayhave been ok.
I know Howard said that he liked the Calculator. American Turf monthly
offers it from time to time ..Let me know if anyone is using it and how it
is going.
American Turf also reprints Ray's favorite ideas .. from time to time. Dont
know if they still have his picture in the magaine. He is resting in peace..
Old 02-27-2007, 09:13 PM   #5
grahors

Cool

I mostly use the computerized version, but have used the slide rule and still do on occasion. Both with great sucess.
I use it primarily for contender selection. I take the top 4 figure horses of all pp's showing. I don't have percentages, but visually, It doesn't miss many winners. The place and show horses seem to come from all over the figs.
I am presantly reading some old Taulbot books and tweaking my hcapping process. May or may not help, but sure alot of fun.
In my final selection process, I do try to adjust for track to track and variants. I also look at from factors ala Wm Scott.
Hey, it keeps me off the streets.
Cecil
PS..it got me a win in the TVG contest and a spot at the NHC in vegas...did not do well there. Maybe next year!
Old 02-27-2007, 09:19 PM   #6
grahors

One more point...I also use CJs figs as my final leverage and I am working on incorporating them into the Taulbot system.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:03 AM   #7
Good4Now

Count me in!

I have one of the Slip STicks ATM sells.
IMO for the time, Ray came up with some really good time figures which can be a solid base for anyones use.
The instruction booklet that came with it was confusing, but keep plugging away.
The track to track comparisons were good when you remember to apply by distance and after comparing with the adjustment chart they used to include in the March issue of the magazine, you can probably come up with a chart of your own that will work nicely.
I also found it useful to add two other "SLIDERS" over the original as a way to compare pace for distances.
The Caveat Emptor is in force for the Amer Var tables on the back.
There is a reason younger horses are conceded less and less weight vs. Olders as the year goes on...they ARE supposed to improve!

And yes I also have a Kelso earnings/purse slide rule, yeah the one with two moving bars, and a couple of K&E's and few foreign made ones as well, thanks to e-Bay.
Good4Now is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2007, 01:10 AM   #8
xciceroguy

If you get it keep us posted......

xciceroguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2007, 05:30 PM   #9
AAcoolguy

Well I got my tax return today, splurged and bought one new from ATM (sorry Pressman). I will try it out as sonn as it arrives and keep everyone posted.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:41 PM   #10
AAcoolguy

Ok the calculator came in the mail already, that was quick! (two days) I have read the instructions and am able to make the figures without the step by step directions in front of me. The instructions are straight forward and easy to understand if you work out the examples in the book. I have figured a few races for tomorrow at Santa Anita, taking the top figure horse and the horses within five points of it. So far by the time I do my regular eliminations (by condition and form) I have three or four "contenders" left. Any suggestions as to how to play these?
Old 03-04-2007, 09:29 AM   #11
pressman
Veteran

pace selection betting

When playing the Pace Calculator’s selections, the contenders (to win)
are generally the top-rated horse and any horse within five points of
the top horse based on the raw rating. Horses within five points of the
top selection are considered “live,” and can be combined with the top
horse in exotic wagers. We also recommend boxing the three top-rated
horses, regardless of their scores.
pressman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2007, 04:52 PM   #12
AAcoolguy

Hello again I thought I would give an update as to how I am doing with the calculator. I would like to report that it is giving me every winner in every race, but that would be rediculous. As a tool for finding contenders it is great and I will continue to refine it's use along with all of the other handicapping procedures. I have learned though that there is no magic bullet and I will really have to do some work if I want to succede in this game.
I will continue to plug along. Every race I learn something new and I see where another small piece of the puzzle fits. Thanks for all of the encouragment!

One other thing, can anyone make heads or tails of the "Amer-Var"?
Old 03-11-2007, 12:12 AM   #13
xciceroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAcoolguy
Hello again I thought I would give an update as to how I am doing with the calculator. I would like to report that it is giving me every winner in every race, but that would be rediculous. As a tool for finding contenders it is great and I will continue to refine it's use along with all of the other handicapping procedures. I have learned though that there is no magic bullet and I will really have to do some work if I want to succede in this game.
I will continue to plug along. Every race I learn something new and I see where another small piece of the puzzle fits. Thanks for all of the encouragment!

One other thing, can anyone make heads or tails of the "Amer-Var"?
Hey AA interesting. I was at SA on thursday and hit 3 of the first 5 races and still lost a couple bucks. All short prices. And i won't bet a horse i can't triple my money on. I did have a decent DD though. I plan on going on the 24th of this month with the coupons they just sent me for all the free entry program parking and DRF.

May the horse be with you!!!!!

xciceroguy

xciceroguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2007, 08:19 PM   #14
AAcoolguy

I had asked before if anyone has been able to make heads or tails of the "AMER-VAR". I have read the instructions to create the variant and I can't understand how it is useful. If you are making a daily variant using past races how can that be of any benefit to me now? Am I misunderstanding what a variant is? I am really confused here.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #15
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAcoolguy
I had asked before if anyone has been able to make heads or tails of the "AMER-VAR". I have read the instructions to create the variant and I can't understand how it is useful. If you are making a daily variant using past races how can that be of any benefit to me now? Am I misunderstanding what a variant is? I am really confused here.

Cool Guy,

The variant tells you how fast the track was on the day the horse ran the times you used to rate him. You use it to adjust the times/rating he earned that day. More accurate than just rating him off unadjusted times.

Bob
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply