Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-28-2007, 07:54 PM   #31
the_fat_man
Veteran

You know what helps me out here: FREEWARE voice to text.

Starting with the FAT CHART, I get the race shape.

Then, enjoying the comforts of my easy chair, mic in hand, I note the trips.

My FREEWARE voice to text kicks in and EVENTUALLY a comma delimitted file is produced.

One of my other programs takes the file and processes it.

Visual race shapes and biases (speed or closers) are then augmented with positional bias info, leads, and trip notes. And a database of this info for each horse/race.

I'm hooked up.

Who's better than me?

But it's got to be FREE.

Damn, if I weren't so principled, I'd be well on my way to $100k.

On a more important note, I'm actually able to chew on the left side of my mouth. Switching dentists, to some competent, can work wonders.

Last edited by the_fat_man; 03-28-2007 at 07:57 PM.
the_fat_man is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2007, 08:06 PM   #32
JustRalph
Just another Facist

If you have a million bucks, invest it safely and sit back and watch it earn 80k a year with very little risk compared to horse racing.........

I would say that the 30% winners is a pretty hard number for many to consistently hit...........at over 7 bucks a race.....but doable......I agree w/Fat Man, it would take tons of time. Why not just invest it.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #33
xciceroguy

It would take me about $200,000 to make $100,000...........

xciceroguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2007, 08:44 PM   #34
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
... Who's better than me?
You’re certainly one of a kind.
Quote:
But it's got to be FREE.
Quote:

Damn, if I weren't so principled, I'd be well on my way to $100k.
Your insistence on FREE suggests that while you may have principles, you are without principal. I like the mike idea, but you've got to stop talking to yourself.

If I pay for your data, would that buy me 50% of your net or should we buy one to put over you?
Quote:
On a more important note, I'm actually able to chew on the left side of my mouth. Switching dentists, to some competent, can work wonders.
Switching dentists is harder to teach than switching leads. And all this time I thought you were doing an impression of Dick Cheney.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2007, 09:09 PM   #35
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcompany
... In my experience on the internet, I've found that almost everyone is rich, goodlooking, a martial arts expert, and bangs a different supermodel every night.
You've just described me to a T in my younger days except that I also won $100K a year without a rebate.

It was the supermodel who practiced martial arts in her sleep that did me in.

Last edited by Indulto; 03-28-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #36
dastar

You have to believe before you can achieve.

Hi Bad C.

First, there is no such thing as a dumb question, unless it is one that wasn't asked.

Second, don't ever let anyone tell you you can't do what you believe or even desire to do!

Back in the mid 1980's I was friends with a top handicapper who made over $300,000 in one year!

He bet exotics and his expertease was in trifectas.

I was only a few dollar better, and was no where near the caliber that this man was. I lost more money than I won, but that was Not my goal to be a great handicapper back then.

He told me that his key ingredient was tremendous discipline, which it another aspect I lacked.

His choice of handicapping tools were mostly the "Sheets."
(I never understood how to use them).

One other piece of advice that may help you is this.
Don't follow others in their handicapping ways, unless they themselves are proven winners with their methods.

Honestly, I won't tell you it is easy, because everyone would be making those 6 figures.

Truthfully, it takes great confidence and determination, and the ability to accept defeat, or the loses that are guaranteed to be a part of the equation.

You need to understand the intricate and subtle workings of the intentions of the trainer, and the most overlooked factor in racing, but certainly extremely vital: The horse MUST be in TOP FORM!

One other thing that I would highly recommend:
Try your plays on paper, and keep concise records, just as if playing for real money.

If you can't make it on "play money" it will then become a most difficult switch to go with hard cash!

Believe it or not, I have confidence in you making it, as long as it is within you and your totally driven to get there.

The world is also full of people in all fiels, who were told they couldn't do what they too wanted.

Good thing they were hard headed and had blinders on with a good set of earplugs.

Good luck

Dastar
dastar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2007, 09:44 PM   #37
ratpack

Do you have a seperate bankroll for living expenses?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:34 PM   #38
the_fat_man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastar
Back in the mid 1980's I was friends with a top handicapper who made over $300,000 in one year! He bet exotics and his expertease was in trifectas.His choice of handicapping tools were mostly the "Sheets."
Sounds like your friend and the FatMan had/ve alot in common. Back in the '80's I was BETWEEN the 'Sheets' with alot of 'exotic' women.

Of course, unlike your friend, I used my own 'tool'(s).

Then again, implants work for some.
the_fat_man is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2007, 11:53 PM   #39
bigmack

Quote:
Sounds like your friend and the FatMan had/ve alot in common. Back in the '80's I was BETWEEN the 'Sheets' with alot of 'exotic' women.

That post just earned you a free copy of Dragon Naturally Speaking 9. How bout them apples?
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2007, 11:55 PM   #40
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:

Old 03-29-2007, 12:01 AM   #41
dastar

Sounds like fun!

That sounds like the life we all aspire to fat_man.

I should mention, the man who won that 300G's was the owner of a Greek Restaurant.

And the rest of the story was not too pretty: He lost his business a few years later.

The interesting part of his strategy was to find the 3rd horse most likely to complete the trifecta, and then bet keying that horse rather than keying the 1st or second as most would tend doing.

Usually he would play $50 to win, and about $200 on the tri's.

I was lucky to play $6 for the race.

Last & only time I ever bet $50 was a win bet at Brandywine race track on the then Harness races.

The bet was because of a tip by the owner of "Better Be Good."
Owned by Stan Cohen at the time. Should have been "Better be Lousy"

Problem was the horse was not in good form, which I was told after that day!

My lesson: Never ever play a tip by an owner.

Dastar
dastar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2007, 01:55 AM   #42
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

You hardly need $1,000,000, or even $200,000, to make $100,000 in a year. Obviously, you can do this hitting a couple big superfectas or a P6 or something.

Even betting win, it can be done with a lot less money. Let us say one hits 30% winners at a 10% profit, finding on average 30 plays a day. You would need to bet $1,000,000 to win $100,000, but you certainly don't need $1,000,000.

There are 364 betting days a year, or 10,920 races for the above. Therefore, you could bet $100 a race and exceed this amount. To safely bet $100 a race, I would say you need a bankroll of at least 10,000, and preferably 20,000, to not be risking too much on any one race. What other game in the world can you turn 20,000 into 120,000 with skill and hard work?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2007, 03:51 AM   #43
JPinMaryland

Brought to you by the same guys who say they need to shut down some tracks cause there's too many races and not enuf large fields out there...
JPinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2007, 05:01 AM   #44
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinMaryland
Brought to you by the same guys who say they need to shut down some tracks cause there's too many races and not enuf large fields out there...
I still believe that, but since I operate in what is happening NOW, that is what I base my betting on. As the landscape changes, so will my plan.

If field sizes were bigger and races reduced, I think I would still have the same number of bettable races per day, fyi.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2007, 05:20 AM   #45
JPinMaryland

Would you still be playing Fonner?
JPinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply