Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Poll: Should churches who advocate political agendas lose thier tax exempt status?
Poll Options
Should churches who advocate political agendas lose thier tax exempt status?

Old 02-25-2007, 01:18 AM   #16
xciceroguy

Whats all this got to do with racing?

xciceroguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2007, 01:30 AM   #17
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Whats all this got to do with racing?
Not a damn thing. That's why Tom started the thread in Off Topics.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:42 PM   #18
ljb
Veteran

Yes tax ALL Churches. Religion is the root cause of most, if not all, the evil in the world.
ljb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2007, 11:03 PM   #19
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Then the Catholic church should not be tax exempt - they repeatedly encourage and promote violation of US law through illegal immigration. I think it only fair that if the Pope's boy want to give them a better life here, the Pope should get the bill . Maybe he could sell some of Vatican jewels.
As a Catholic, I say "SCREW YOU, BENEDICT."
Not as an argument, just a point to consider, I don't think what you have described is necessarily a political stance from a legal perspective relative to tax exemption. I'm not an attorney, so I could be wrong. There is probably some disagreement even among attornies.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:47 AM   #20
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljb
Religion is the root cause of most, if not all, the evil in the world.
I can think of at least one.....

Hey, if this new TV special on the Discovery channel were about Allah instead of Jesus, what do you think the reaction would be among the more animated in the Muslim world?

Do you think they would storm the Discovery channel studios and burn the place to the ground?

Food for thought.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2007, 07:35 AM   #21
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

There would be riots all over the world. Scores would be dead already.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:38 AM   #22
betchatoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I can think of at least one.....

Hey, if this new TV special on the Discovery channel were about Allah instead of Jesus, what do you think the reaction would be among the more animated in the Muslim world?

Do you think they would storm the Discovery channel studios and burn the place to the ground?

Food for thought.
Wouldn't happen. Allah is God, and this special is not saying that they found the bones of God. The Muslim counterpoint would be Mohamed and they acknowledge that he was a prophet and human. He did not rise and ascend.
Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?' Vanity asks the question, 'Is it popular?' But, conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because one's conscience tells one that it is right. -Martin Luther King, Jr.
betchatoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2007, 09:12 AM   #23
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by betchatoo
Wouldn't happen. Allah is God, and this special is not saying that they found the bones of God. The Muslim counterpoint would be Mohamed and they acknowledge that he was a prophet and human. He did not rise and ascend.
Divinity is not the point. It is the reaction to any negative portrayal of the prophet. Remember the cartoon riots. If someone did a documentary showing the prophet in a false light or challenging the night flight, I would tend to agree there would be resulting violence.

BTW, I wonder why no images of the prophet are permitted, after all as you say he was a mere mortal man?
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2007, 10:35 AM   #24
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
I apologize for my display of ignorance. My point remains, although the names have changed.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #25
so.cal.fan

lsbets:
<All churches should pay taxes - every one of them advocates political issues to one degree or another. Whether its the Catholic Church, Evangelicals, or black Churches, they all do it.>

I sure agree with you, Jeff.
Did you happen to read about some small town, I believe it was in Texas that actually went bankrupt, because there were so many different churches in town that owned property/business that they didn't get enough revenue to pay for city services?
so.cal.fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2007, 10:21 AM   #26
betchatoo

The only church that should be tax exempt is the new one I am starting, the church of the Holy Bull. Donations would be accompanied by proper documentation. Example:

Tam 5th $10 WPS # 7 *

* Explanation of abbreviations
To All who have lost their Mothers, on the 5th of the month we make this offering of $10 With Prayers and Sympathy. This is #7 in our list of pledges.
Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?' Vanity asks the question, 'Is it popular?' But, conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because one's conscience tells one that it is right. -Martin Luther King, Jr.
betchatoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #27
so.cal.fan

A wonderful old friend, known around the so. cal. tracks was Ernest Forrest.
Ernest was a small trainer and racetrack regular until he passed away back in the 80's.
He once told me back in the 70's......"Diane, I should have never wasted my time at the racetrack, I should have been in the "Reverend" business"!
He always said he should have started a church and made a fortune!
He was a very entertaining guy, we always called him Reverend Ernest Forrest after that. Sweet man, I still miss him to this day.
so.cal.fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #28
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
To All who have lost their Mothers, on the 5th of the month we make this offering of $10 With Prayers and Sympathy. This is #7 in our list of pledges.
Unless you promise to foresake Satin, how can you find peace? Laid to rest, all saw him rise - bid good bye. And good luck.