Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:43 PM   #421
boxcar

Some Historical Context for the 14th Amendment

The media never tried to explain how something written to protect slaves 150 years ago had morphed into an open legal door for birthright citizenship.

The liberal media never got around to talking about how the "birthright clause" has created the growth of a birth tourism industry.

https://townhall.com/columnists/mich...erica-n2534387

And,

The 14th Amendment, approved in 1868, was crafted to overturn the Dred Scott decision of 1857 and to guarantee citizenship and equal rights under law to freed slaves and their children.

Did it guarantee that everyone born on U.S. soil is a U.S. citizen?

No. In the 1884 Elk v. Wilkins decision, the Supreme Court ruled that John Elk, a Winnebago Indian born on a reservation, had not [been] denied his constitutional right to vote, as he was not a U.S. citizen.

https://townhall.com/columnists/patb...erica-n2534294
Old 11-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #422
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post

Did it guarantee that everyone born on U.S. soil is a U.S. citizen?

No. In the 1884 Elk v. Wilkins decision, the Supreme Court ruled that John Elk, a Winnebago Indian born on a reservation, had not [been] denied his constitutional right to vote, as he was not a U.S. citizen.[/i]

https://townhall.com/columnists/patb...erica-n2534294
That to me shows that the biggest mistake the Native Americans made was not controlling the borders and letting the Europeans in.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2018, 08:10 PM   #423
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
90% of the world's population is poverty-stricken...so, what is your point exactly?
I posed only one question. You've missed the point entirely. Carry on.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:15 PM   #424
riskman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
1. They are not citizens
2. They do not have permission to enter our country.

End of debate.
Yes,Tom is correct.

On October 30 Trump tweeted to people in the caravan: “Go back to your Country and if you want, apply for citizenship like millions of others are doing!” No one can apply for U.S. citizenship outside the United States. Only those already granted asylum in the US can apply for U.S. citizenship, a process that takes years and often subjects asylum seekers and applicants to detention and intense surveillance. All of this is wholly ignored by the Trump administration.

The fact that Donald Trump has declared that he will not allow the migrant caravan to even apply for asylum and that he will send US troops to prevent them from attempting to do so violates our constitution and immigration laws. Trump is also at war with international law, which demands that migrants at risk in their home countries have the right to seek protection in another country.

As Trump says, "will see what happens". This caravan is not something new.It is being showcased by the exagerater in chief for maximum effectiveness during the election cycle. Fear is a powerful motivater.Personally,I am tired of all this day after day, tweet after tweet. The two year old needs a time out and after that a swift kick in the rear end.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #425
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

How many, in the name of God Almighty, are YOU talking in to YOUR house?
You seem fixated on this, Tom. I don't owe you or anyone else this, but let me tell you a little about my economic situation. I am a retired widower living in a small mobile home on 3 acres in Florida's horse country. About all I can take into my house is the odd stray cat that comes by. My neighbors include 2 Mexican families (immigration status unknown), a Cuban family (same), a born-again Christian family, and some rich, mostly absentee horse farm owners. There are MANY Mexican and Latin people that I encounter on a daily basis at the stores and restaurants near where I live. To the best of my knowledge, they are all hard-working, law-abiding people, and I don't think they want or need me to take them in. Also, I don't give a rat's ass how they got into the country. They mostly work on the horse farms doing labor that the MAGA people won't or can't do for subsistence wages, and most seem to have more than one job in order to get by and take care of their family (either here or back in their home country).

In 2010, I worked for the Census Bureau in the local office, pushing paper (not out in the field). I was contemplating doing the same in 2020, but I have decided that if there's a citizenship question on the census form, I will decline if they ask me.

Yours progressively. PS: I don't miss those winter trips I used to have to make to Finger Lakes, Batavia Downs, and Buffalo Raceway while working for NY State years ago.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #426
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
That to me shows that the biggest mistake the Native Americans made was not controlling the borders and letting the Europeans in.
I don’t know if you are being serious or not, but the Native N. Americans were 500 years behind the Euros in cultural and general development. No way they would not be “conquered” for lack of a better word.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:31 PM   #427
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I don’t know if you are being serious or not, but the Native N. Americans were 500 years behind the Euros in cultural and general development. No way they would not be “conquered” for lack of a better word.
Have you read Guns, Germs, and Steel?

Might find it interesting.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #428
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
You seem fixated on this, Tom. I don't owe you or anyone else this, but let me tell you a little about my economic situation.
I am fixated on it.
I want to know where you people get off deciding to let people come here and get on our welfare rolls when YOU are not willing to stand up and take care of some yourselves. Pretty GD cheap of you in my opinion. Out your house where your moth is. They have to live somewhere, I say YOUR house is a good option. No matter how tough YOU have it, YOU have more than they do. So enough talky, how about some walky?

The high ground is pretty easy to take, until the check comes.
You lock your doors at night, but that is not good for our country to do? Ha.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:09 PM   #429
Ocala Mike

Ralph, thanks for rekindling this idea:

Definition of "white man's burden" -

The alleged duty of the white peoples to manage the affairs of the less developed nonwhite peoples.

Tom, the assumption that our great country can't assimilate them and they go right on welfare is spurious - what I tried to show you. No use.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2018, 12:12 AM   #430
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post

I'll look into it. But there is no way somebody wasn't going to come to N America and take it away from the natives.

It's how the world works. If it was European, it would have been someone else
Old 11-06-2018, 12:12 AM   #431
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

Just pointing out the irony of the court case Boxcar cited that a group of people who were here milenniums before Columbus were not legal citizens of this country.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:26 AM   #432
ElKabong

Quote:
The native Americans ran the wishbone. The Europeans brought over the Spread offense. The home team never had a chance.....
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2018, 12:29 AM   #433
barahona44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
The native Americans ran the wishbone. The Europeans brought over the Spread offense. The home team never had a chance.....
In other words. the Vikings defeated the Redskins.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:33 AM   #434
ElKabong

Quote:
In other words. the Vikings defeated the Redskins.
Had to be. The Cowboys can't beat *anybody*

Last edited by ElKabong; 11-06-2018 at 12:37 AM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2018, 02:06 AM   #435
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post

just watched the first ten minutes of the pbs show made from the book. I'll watch it.........on youtube as I get time........

looks interesting