Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-19-2018, 08:24 PM   #1
Bill Cullen

Who ever said the lack of 2-year old racing experience is limited to the K. Derby?

Who ever said the lack of 2-year old racing experience is limited to the K. Derby?

Maybe we saw a little bit of that in today in Justify's Preakness performance along with some possible regression.

Those two doubts will in all probability give us a larger field in the Belmont.

If I were a trainer and assuming we're getting a dry track, I'd put a rabbit in there in an entry with a solid closer.

Just some thoughts from a dry brain in a wet season.

Bill C
Bill Cullen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
Fightingirish51195

I think it’s a serious, serious concern for he Belmont.
Fightingirish51195 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:31 PM   #3
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cullen View Post
If I were a trainer and assuming we're getting a dry track, I'd put a rabbit in there in an entry with a solid closer.
The problem is, the best pairing close to your specifications would be Noble Indy as rabbit for Audible in the Belmont for Todd Pletcher. They are both owned by Winstar Farm, the owner of Justify.

However, the second best pairing might be the Steve Asmussen pair of Tenfold and "rabbit" Tap Daddy (who wired the off-the-turf James Murphy at Pimlico today) for owner Ron Winchell.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:32 PM   #4
dilanesp

I don't think it is that. Curlin ran well in the Preakness and Belmont.

It is silly to attach talismanic significance to stuff that didn't hsppen 6 months ago.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #5
GMB@BP

I would be shocked if Audible is in that race, the amount of money they stand to lose is enormous. It makes no sense, unless you feel like a win by Audible enhances his value more than the TC, something the Belmont only slightly does now in modern breeding.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #6
PaceMasterT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
The problem is, the best pairing close to your specifications would be Noble Indy as rabbit for Audible in the Belmont for Todd Pletcher. They are both owned by Winstar Farm, the owner of Justify.

However, the second best pairing might be the Steve Asmussen pair of Tenfold and "rabbit" Tap Daddy (who wired the off-the-turf James Murphy at Pimlico today) for owner Ron Winchell.
I don't know, having both the KD and Preakness winner and the Belmont winner from the same year in your "lineup" would probably be pretty lucrative.

I'm picturing a cat house in Nevada in my mind as I type.

Last edited by PaceMasterT; 05-19-2018 at 08:53 PM.
PaceMasterT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 09:05 PM   #7
Bill Cullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post

It is silly to attach talismanic significance to stuff that didn't hsppen 6 months ago.
I tried in my previous entry opening up this thread to use tentative diction to suggest that (being my main point) that the lack of 2-year racing experience segues well into a regression in form going into the Belmont Stakes.

There is some empirical evidence to suggest that, aside from the so called curse of Apollo," a lack of racing experience across a number of dimensions
does not for the most part bode well. Across distance and surface parameters this is most evident. Across the 2 to 3 year old age continuum, I do not really have a firm sense of the implications. I do suspect, though, that not racing when a horse is two years old will typically have a negative impact on most racing stock in post racing year seasons.

Bill C
Old 05-19-2018, 09:07 PM   #8
Fightingirish51195

Quote:
I tried in my previous entry opening up this thread to use tentative diction to suggest that (being my main point) that the lack of 2-year racing experience segues well into a regression in form going into the Belmont Stakes.

There is some empirical evidence to suggest that, aside from the so called curse of Apollo," a lack of racing experience across a number of dimensions
does not for the most part bode well. Across distance and surface parameters this is most evident. Across the 2 to 3 year old age continuum, I do not really have a firm sense of the implications. I do suspect, though, that not racing when a horse is two years old will typically have a negative impact on most racing stock in post racing year seasons.

Bill C
Totally agreed
Old 05-19-2018, 09:09 PM   #9
paulbenny

REGRESSION AND RABBIT ETC

Clearly the Derby is all about points, but in the Belmont, you can do what you want unless someone tells me otherwise. There is no doubt that a clear cut rabbit like the old days and this horse Justify could fail, without a doubt. It is going to be difficult to avoid someone saying hey, I think he is vulnerable after this and he probably is.
paulbenny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 09:15 PM   #10
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I would be shocked if Audible is in that race, the amount of money they stand to lose is enormous. It makes no sense, unless you feel like a win by Audible enhances his value more than the TC, something the Belmont only slightly does now in modern breeding.
Plus Audible seems better suited to the Woody Stephens (or the Met Mile perhaps) and ultimately the BC Dirt Mile.

Unless the slop affected his performance, he had a fairly clean trip (with an enterprising move by Castellano along the rail) in the Derby, and didn't rally enough to threaten Justify.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 09:16 PM   #11
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Justify didn't win the derby wire-to-wire. I think the horse can rate and a rabbit wouldn't necessarily doom him in the Belmont.
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 09:27 PM   #12
dilanesp

Quote:

Bill C
Do you use this fsctor in handicapping 3 year old claiming races, or do you think it is a non factor except in 3 races a year?
Old 05-19-2018, 09:30 PM   #13
Bill Cullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
Justify didn't win the derby wire-to-wire. I think the horse can rate and a rabbit wouldn't necessarily doom him in the Belmont.
Good point. He put away Good Magic in moderate fractions and one could argue that, even the lack of racing experience as a two year catching up with him, Justify still handled that so called Triple Crown racing constraint well enough, given a trainer like Baffert going forward.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:37 PM   #14
Fightingirish51195

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Do you use this fsctor in handicapping 3 year old claiming races, or do you think it is a non factor except in 3 races a year?
It’s apples and oranges. Experience matters in every race. But your talking about a grueling stretch of racing here
Old 05-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #15
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightingirish51195 View Post
It’s apples and oranges. Experience matters in every race. But your talking about a grueling stretch of racing here
I think you will find claimers, on average, have far more hard races a year than stakes horses do.

I think that people assume these races just suspend the normal rules of handicapping in favor of esoterica that they would never think important in any orher context.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: