Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #6766
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I'm not sure that I understand you here...but I still insist that the calling card of all religions is that we all see in them whatever we want to see. For instance...Jesus spoke against the hoarding of our future "necessities", and told us that we should not obsess about the "morrow"...trusting instead that our heavenly father would provide for us, just as he does for the birds and the fish. And yet...do we have this sort of "faith" in our heavenly father...or do we keep stashing our money in the bank..."just in case"?

We like Jesus when we agree with him...but we raise an eyebrow at him when the "going gets tough".
The point of the parable is the only thing man can do is plant the seed, have faith nature will take its course and a harvest will result. The harvest does not result because man controls the process, it does not come from man seeing whatever he wants to see, it comes about due to nature's working.

Now do you understand the question?
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Old 06-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #6767
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
I agree living by the standards set by Eastern mysticism isn't "trendy" or "chic".

Now I have a few questions maybe you or hcap can answer. One of Buddhism's basis beliefs is reincarnation, correct? Reincarnation is the remedy for living an disordered life, meaning you failed to live properly and thus you are recycled into life to try again and the cycle is repeated until you live an ordered life, and at that point the cycle is broken, correct?
The Buddhist doctrine does not assert that rebirth must necessarily occur in the form of another human being. It mentions six different realms that the rebirth could take place in...with "karma" being the deciding factor for our after-life destination.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #6768
thaskalos

Quote:
The point of the parable is the only thing man can do is plant the seed, have faith nature will take its course and a harvest will result. The harvest does not result because man controls the process, it does not come from man seeing whatever he wants to see, it comes about due to nature's working.

Now do you understand the question?
Yes...but did YOU understand the point that I was trying to make...or is it more convenient to just ignore it?
Old 06-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #6769
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
The Buddhist doctrine does not assert that rebirth must necessarily occur in the form of another human being. It mentions six different realms that the rebirth could take place in...with "karma" being the deciding factor for our after-life destination.

Are you referring to transmigration of the soul? The over arching point is the cycle of reincarnation continues while a a disordered lives are lived and once an ordered life is lived the cycle is broken. Is this correct?
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Old 06-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #6770
boxcar

Quote:
And yet, if you ask Boxcar what Jesus meant by that "children" quote...he will tell you that Jesus was referring to the "faith" that little kids have in their parents. That's the nice thing about "religion"; you see in it whatever you WANT to see.
Context counts.

Matt 18:2-5
2 And He called a child to Himself and set him before them, 3 and said, "Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 "Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 "And whoever receives one such child in My name receives Me;
NASB

What, typically, happens after a person converts to the Christian Faith? His whole inner self is transformed. Because he, for the first time, has seen God (through the eyes of faith), and has also seen his pathetic life for the miserable, poor wretch he is, spiritually), and when that happens such a person becomes humbled. He become child-like in the sense that he now sees God, the person with whom he had been at enmity with all his life, as a loving Father. And what grateful child doesn't respond to a loving parent in humble TRUST? Children TRUST their loving, caring, compassionate parents. And this is exactly what God wants from his children. He wants their unequivocal trust.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #6771
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Yes...but did YOU understand the point that I was trying to make...or is it more convenient to just ignore it?
Yes I understood your point see my answer. For someone who rejects universal truth you surely rely on such. No it is not universally true all religion's calling cards are that we all see in them what we want.
George Washington
Old 06-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #6772
thaskalos

Quote:
Are you referring to transmigration of the soul? The over arching point is the cycle of reincarnation continues while a a disordered lives are lived and once an ordered life is lived the cycle is broken. Is this correct?
The Buddhists believe that reincarnation continues until man is finally liberated from the world of "samsara"...the world of endless desire and striving.

I don't know what you mean by "ordered life".

Last edited by thaskalos; 06-18-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #6773
thaskalos

Quote:
Yes I understood your point see my answer. For someone who rejects universal truth you surely rely on such. No it is not universally true all religion's calling cards are that we all see in them what we want.
What answer?

What Christian do you know who follows Jesus's suggestion to have "faith" in God for our future survival...and not to obsess about "tomorrow" ourselves?
Old 06-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #6774
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
The Buddhists believe that reincarnation continues until man is finally liberated from the world of "samsara"...the world of endless desire and striving.

I don't know what you mean by "ordered life".
Well how do you become liberated? Don't you need to live by a set of standards?
George Washington
Old 06-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #6775
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Context counts.

Matt 18:2-5
2 And He called a child to Himself and set him before them, 3 and said, "Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 "Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 "And whoever receives one such child in My name receives Me;
NASB

What, typically, happens after a person converts to the Christian Faith? His whole inner self is transformed. Because he, for the first time, has seen God (through the eyes of faith), and has also seen his pathetic life for the miserable, poor wretch he is, spiritually), and when that happens such a person becomes humbled. He become child-like in the sense that he now sees God, the person with whom he had been at enmity with all his life, as a loving Father. And what grateful child doesn't respond to a loving parent in humble TRUST? Children TRUST their loving, caring, compassionate parents. And this is exactly what God wants from his children. He wants their unequivocal trust.
Yes...but the children "trust" their parents only because the parents WIN that trust by being there to take care of the children's needs. What trust would these children have in an "absentee parent"...who only communicates with them through the written word?
Old 06-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #6776
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
What answer?

What Christian do you know who follows Jesus's suggestion to have "faith" in God for our future survival...and not to obsess about "tomorrow" ourselves?
Yes, I do. If I named them would you know them?
George Washington
Old 06-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #6777
thaskalos

Quote:
Well how do you become liberated? Don't you need to live by a set of standards?
Didn't you once tell me that you had fully explored the Eastern religions...and then went back to Christianity? Are these the questions that a person would ask...if he were indeed informed about Buddhism? Or are you testing ME?
Old 06-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #6778
Andy Asaro

Old 06-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #6779
thaskalos

Quote:
Yes, I do. If I named them would you know them?
When the Christian likes a Jesus quote, like the one where Jesus declares that "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one gets to the Father except through me"...then the Christian takes the quote literally, and puffs out his chest while declaring that his is the only "true religion".

But when the same Christian isn't so sure about a Jesus quote, like the one where he says that "we should turn the other cheek when struck"...or that "we should give all our money away and follow him"...then the Christian convinces himself that Jesus was only "kidding"...or that he was referring only to his closest disciples when he said that.

As I said...we see only what we want to see.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #6780
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Yes...the democrats hate God. I see evidence of that everywhere.
Closed Thread